Sports Buzz (SIAP)

There's no crystal ball. Is it a run down, is it a pass down?

What in the actual f*ck? Anyone with a pulse knew Nebraska was running the ball. They have a great RB and a fast QB who runs AND throws like a RB. Have some faith in these 4* DBs and make them throw it! If that QB beats you with his arm, you tip your cap (and then have a talk with your DB coach.) What doesn't win is being out-flanked 6 on 8 at every snap. Holy crap. It's like against UNC last year, instead of taking away Ebron with a double team or Grace, Bush, etc, and forcing that offense out of their comfort zone, we play the same ol standard D and let him run free over the middle all game. No strategy, no game planning. I've never seen a defense so worried about giving up a big play, yet seemingly put each player on an island during every snap.

TL;DR - Identify what the other team does best/most and take it away from them!

Advertisement
There is no more defending D'onofrio. I'm 100% convinced the decision has already been made to fire him behind the scenes, and that Al knows it.... hence his "family emergency."

Dude should have taken the Temple job when it was offered to him. Although if he failed here, he probably would have failed there too.

There is no more defending D'onofrio. I'm 100% convinced the decision has already been made to fire him behind the scenes, and that Al knows it.... hence his "family emergency."

Dude should have taken the Temple job when it was offered to him. Although if he failed here, he probably would have failed there too.

Would be nice but I highly doubt this. If he didnt get **** canned for fielding the worst defense in school history, he aint getting **** canned now.

I question the evaluator that questions why we run so much 3-4. You ask most knowledgeable Xs and Os person and they'll tell you the most optimal way to defend the spread offenses of today is with a 3-4 multiple front. Of course, not the passive way we run it.

Here's an interesting article about the NFL struggling to defend the read option. It even discusses the move toward more passive approaches to defense (and not in a good way).

http://grantland.com/features/after-offseason-searching-nfl-coaches-know-how-defend-read-option/

The old 4-3, 2-deep defenses we used to run likely would get lit up by the new spread/read option offenses. One thing that people here often forget is that every defense is "read and react" unless you're just blitzing everyone. Our players seem to react a lot more slowly than they should be, which I blame the coaches for. I don't think they're trying to run a bad scheme at all, but it's very clear that they aren't succeeding at teaching it. Even worse, the players are not even executing the basics (tackling), which I also blame the coaches for. If they go into the GT game with the same approach they took to Corn****erville, it could be a repeat of that game where GT ran for 472 yards against Randy's defense.

Ha at not running a bad scheme. What more evidence do you need?

Our players react slowly because they are put in impossible situations to succeed.
Our players tackle poorly because they are asked to go one on one with a star RB 5-7 yards downfield.

Advertisement
The idea of three more years with this staff? There aren't enough banner planes in the world...

I question the evaluator that questions why we run so much 3-4. You ask most knowledgeable Xs and Os person and they'll tell you the most optimal way to defend the spread offenses of today is with a 3-4 multiple front. Of course, not the passive way we run it.

Here's an interesting article about the NFL struggling to defend the read option. It even discusses the move toward more passive approaches to defense (and not in a good way).

http://grantland.com/features/after-offseason-searching-nfl-coaches-know-how-defend-read-option/

The old 4-3, 2-deep defenses we used to run likely would get lit up by the new spread/read option offenses. One thing that people here often forget is that every defense is "read and react" unless you're just blitzing everyone. Our players seem to react a lot more slowly than they should be, which I blame the coaches for. I don't think they're trying to run a bad scheme at all, but it's very clear that they aren't succeeding at teaching it. Even worse, the players are not even executing the basics (tackling), which I also blame the coaches for. If they go into the GT game with the same approach they took to Corn****erville, it could be a repeat of that game where GT ran for 472 yards against Randy's defense.

exactly, its not the 3/4, which is ran by alabama and many other successful college and nfl teams, its the coaches that are failing.

exactly, its not the 3/4, which is ran by alabama and many other successful college and nfl teams, its the coaches that are failing.

There are different variants of the 3-4, 4-3,etc. If you think we are running the same D at Alabama, then you are crazy.

I have a weird feeling that donofrio won't be the DC here in two weeks. Idk if it will help anything. But I feel it in my plums

If that happens, I hope we are all prepared for Al Groh to be our next DC.

Advertisement

What in the actual f*ck? Anyone with a pulse knew Nebraska was running the ball. They have a great RB and a fast QB who runs AND throws like a RB. Have some faith in these 4* DBs and make them throw it! If that QB beats you with his arm, you tip your cap (and then have a talk with your DB coach.) What doesn't win is being out-flanked 6 on 8 at every snap. Holy crap. It's like against UNC last year, instead of taking away Ebron with a double team or Grace, Bush, etc, and forcing that offense out of their comfort zone, we play the same ol standard D and let him run free over the middle all game. No strategy, no game planning. I've never seen a defense so worried about giving up a big play, yet seemingly put each player on an island during every snap.

It's no crystal ball. Will Nebraska run the option?

The definition of college football insanity. Playing the same defense over and over and over again (41 times to be exact) and expecting a different result.

Please print this and put in Al Golden's binder.

I disagree that our old defense would be lit by the "new" offenses, especially the read option. The option was the offense of choice before we came along and the wishbone was very much a read option. Miami destroyed it as an acceptable D1 offense and relegated it high school and the academies. How did the read option do against Ravens with Ed and Ray? I suspect it would be fine against the spread also because of the pressure it brought. But it is not just 4-3 or 3-4 discussion. We won our first NC with a 5-2, which is basically a 3-4. My issue is that I don't not believe our old defenses were "read and react". I remember that being discussed every time someone got off a screen play or QB slipped contain or we got fooled for a 20 yard gain. Talk would always be about that is the price of the "act then read" defense Miami plays. I remember, "meet me at the QB and play run along the way"-- that is act then react. Hey, our old defense got used before Al got here too, but it was the lack of DTs that was the problem, well, maybe coaching was slacking also. But Dig Daddy would be on Al's defense and it would not matter because he would only be allow to stand at LOS and dance with guards until ball carrier got to him. Perpetration is the secret to defense. Let the other guy find ways to adapt to it while you beat his QB and RBs to death in the backfield.

The saddest part in all of this are the remaining years on Golden's contract. Golden and Doritos are walking around like the untouchables.

Advertisement
Firing D'Onofrio only buys another year of Golden having someone else implement Golden's defense. When we look at D'Onofrio we are looking at the wrong guy. Golden is the source of the problem.

The dissecting of their idiocy would be great if I thought it would invoke some change. They've enjoyed getting their heads bashed in for 3+ years. They'll just keeping running into a brick wall.

**** is sad. Coley has changed more since week one than the defense has since 2011. With every bad performance they'll at least have to answer the questions.

"I think you can't force your hands on players and force them to do things they can't do," Coley said. "I think as guys are able to do things you expand and you're able to throw more at them. It's kind of like how big is your bucket? I think 15 has done a great job. He's part of all this. To this point, he's like I want more. And he can handle it. He really can."

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/umiami/#storylink=cpy

Can Coley go across the hall and staple this quote on Corch 'Onofrio's forehead?

Any remotely competent DC goes into a game looking to take away one facet of the opponent's offense--run or pass. When facing a one dimensional team like Nebraska that choice should be am easy one.

So what do we do? Instead of making an erratic poor throwing QB beat us, we let them run it down our throat with their strength.

Advertisement
The dissecting of their idiocy would be great if I thought it would invoke some change. They've enjoyed getting their heads bashed in for 3+ years. They'll just keeping running into a brick wall.

**** is sad. Coley has changed more since week one than the defense has since 2011. With every bad performance they'll at least have to answer the questions.

"I think you can't force your hands on players and force them to do things they can't do," Coley said. "I think as guys are able to do things you expand and you're able to throw more at them. It's kind of like how big is your bucket? I think 15 has done a great job. He's part of all this. To this point, he's like I want more. And he can handle it. He really can."

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/umiami/#storylink=cpy

Can Coley go across the hall and staple this quote on Corch 'Onofrio's forehead?

No D is hard headed, suggest nails with a hammer, staples won't work.

Last edited:
Firing D'Onofrio only buys another year of Golden having someone else implement Golden's defense. When we look at D'Onofrio we are looking at the wrong guy. Golden is the source of the problem.
Just to play devil's advocate, if Golden actually did agree to fire D'Onofrio it would clearly be a sign of desperation to save his job and could indicate that he is willing to bring in a DC who would run a different scheme. With that said, it's a moot point because Golden will never fire his buddy. You can take that to the bank.

i have no problem golden remaining here as long as significant change occurs either in the form of (a) a better defensive scheme/adjustments being implemented with all deliberate speed (read Duke) or (b) firing the D coordinator.

Advertisement
Back