Sports Buzz: Analysis On The Roster After Spring

Does anybody think that Mark Richt should have come here and said "****, this team is loaded with talent across the board! We're totally set! No room for improvement at any position."? Of course not. He's only stated what every Miami fan already knew. We're thin at CB, returning receiver depth is shaky and O-line needs to be more consistent. This is a good but not great team. There's more talent on the roster right now than anybody else in the coastal. Some guys you have to judge on potential rather than production because the previous staff misused so many guys. Still, a 9 or 10 win season with a trip to the ACCCG is a good start.
Why is there no gray area with you guys? No one wanted him to claim this is the greatest roster in the history of football. There's plenty of room between that and constantly crying like a bytch about what you don't have when you have more than almost every team on your schedule.

Advertisement
You don't lead men into battle and tell them that they are not good enough to win. Can you imagine Tom Herman pumping the brakes as soon as spring practice was over last year in Houston? You think he told people that fsu was too good before the game? NO one with any sensibility thinks we can beat the bamas of college football. But we'd have a punchers chance and we sure as **** shouldn't be starting off the conversation with, we are not good enough yet...

Actually, that's EXACTLY what he did at Houston last spring.

Houston’s Tom Herman: Our receivers stink and don’t belong in Division 1 college football – CollegeFootballTalk

Tom Herman on scrimmage: “Our 2s and 3s receivers stink. They don’t belong right now in Division I college football.”

— Joseph Duarte (@Joseph_Duarte) August 15, 2015

All coaches try to motivate players to constantly improve. You want to avoid anything that allows complacence. The last thing you want is for players to thing they are good enough just like they are. I don't see anything unusual about Richt's, Diaz's or Herman's comments.

A few things they missed:

• Richt is not impressed with the team as a whole, thought the roster was better from what he saw on paper.
  • He's questioning his decision to accept the job.
  • Mrs. Richt not acclimating to South Florida very well, spending most of her time in Athens.
  • He is really disappointed in the facilities, specifically lack of an IPF.
  • He wants JC Jackson, but Frenk won't allow it.
  • Apparently he has a 'One & Done' clause in his contract that allows for an easy exit.
  • Bridges to local high schools are not only burnt, but irreparable.

To know all this you would have to be sleeping in Richts bed.. SMH

• Richt is not impressed with the team as a whole, thought the roster was better from what he saw on paper.
  • Mrs. Richt not acclimating to South Florida very well, spending most of her time in Athens.
  • Apparently he has a 'One & Done' clause in his contract that allows for an easy exit.

To know all this you would have to be sleeping in Richts bed.. SMH

What are you insinuating?

Advertisement

Am terribly afraid this is, indeed, the case. Hope it isn't so, but this program has looked close to FUBAR the past few years.

There's more. PM Whoop.

Am terribly afraid this is, indeed, the case. Hope it isn't so, but this program has looked close to FUBAR the past few years.

You don't lead men into battle and tell them that they are not good enough to win. Can you imagine Tom Herman pumping the brakes as soon as spring practice was over last year in Houston? You think he told people that fsu was too good before the game? NO one with any sensibility thinks we can beat the bamas of college football. But we'd have a punchers chance and we sure as **** shouldn't be starting off the conversation with, we are not good enough yet...

Actually, that's EXACTLY what he did at Houston last spring.

Houston’s Tom Herman: Our receivers stink and don’t belong in Division 1 college football – CollegeFootballTalk

Tom Herman on scrimmage: “Our 2s and 3s receivers stink. They don’t belong right now in Division I college football.”

— Joseph Duarte (@Joseph_Duarte) August 15, 2015

HUGE difference. He's talking about a position group (2nd and 3rd stringers), not firing some soft *** stance that we are not ready in an effort to taper expectations to fans through the media. Nobody in their right mind believes we are a NC contender at this point, but we are certainly good enough to win the coastal.

The sad thing is that I would not be the least bit surprised if all of the above proved to be true.

Richt is not a "one and done" kind of coach, he's made that clear. He made UGA fire him, he didn't leave. He's excited about Miami. A coach who's friends with Hartley told me they're excited as **** about what they can do with the talent in South Florida.
I don't see Frenk really caring much about JC Jackson. I think he would trust Richt's opinion on what to do.
Bridges were burned to the other coaches, but Richt could recruit South Florida before, and he'll continue doing it.
IPF will get done.

Oh I know the deal with WoopingCane and his schtick. It's been such a long and miserable decade plus for this program that I've almost been conditioned to think the worst. From the dishonest hacks in the media to the sleazeballs at the NCAA and between a University President(Shalala) who secretly despised our tradition, a completely detached and clueless BOT, gutless puppets as AD's and the succesive hiring of 3 of the worst head coaches in modern era college football, yeah I guess I'm still a little cynical. It's going to take a bit to completely snap me out of that but Richt has done a great job so far.

Advertisement
Why would Richt have to sandbag? Everyone knows the depth issues & a few key injuries will make things worse.

I think that Richt is sandbagging to an extent. It's going to be really interesting to see how we play come Sept and even more interesting when we open conference play against GT and FSU weeks 4&5.

He doesn't have to sandbag but that may be his style. Lou Holtz was a master at this. When addressing the media these coaches like to talk their teams down and emphasize the weaknesses while glossing over strengths. These talking points are then repeated at every opportunity. This supposedly has the effect of lulling opponents into a false sense of security. Meanwhile behind the scenes these coaches are whipping their teams up into a frenzy. Personally, I don't think it's that significant. It's a fairly common variant of coach speak. That's just my opinion on the matter though.

Last edited:
Richt and UM need to quit this insidious facgitry that has been going on way too long around here. They use media rubes to spread misinformation about our talent level in order to lower expectations. It's weak, and it's sickening.

I had hope that Richt wouldn't continue this tradition of facgitry, but he has. Buck the fck up and be happy you inherited a **** good roster relative to the rest of your conference.

And goddamit stop this SEC nut gargling. Richt's UGA teams the last couple years were far from elite overall talent machines. He hasn't had a QB, which is the most important position by a million miles, who could tote Kaaya's jock since Murray. He trotted out the UGA version of Kirby freeman last year in Faton Bauta.

So quit the whining and quit using stooges like Jackson and Pete to spread facqitry. Get it done. We got enough to beat the gargantuan super powers like Duke and UNC in the Coastal.

He's sending a message to elite South Florida high school recruits that there is an opportunity to come in and play early.

Richt and UM need to quit this insidious facgitry that has been going on way too long around here. They use media rubes to spread misinformation about our talent level in order to lower expectations. It's weak, and it's sickening.

I had hope that Richt wouldn't continue this tradition of facgitry, but he has. Buck the fck up and be happy you inherited a **** good roster relative to the rest of your conference.

And goddamit stop this SEC nut gargling. Richt's UGA teams the last couple years were far from elite overall talent machines. He hasn't had a QB, which is the most important position by a million miles, who could tote Kaaya's jock since Murray. He trotted out the UGA version of Kirby freeman last year in Faton Bauta.

So quit the whining and quit using stooges like Jackson and Pete to spread facqitry. Get it done. We got enough to beat the gargantuan super powers like Duke and UNC in the Coastal.

He's sending a message to elite South Florida high school recruits that there is an opportunity to come in and play early.

And sending a message to his own team that he doesn't believe in them.

All this message sending can be accomplished by talking to the recruits and their families directly. You don't need to hammer your current players publicly to send messages to recruits. They're not reading that **** anyway. They're busy snap chatting and tweeting.

Advertisement
Back