Sports Buzz 11-29

Chad Thomas was a high 3* then he went to the opening and dominated every lineman in the country. He proceeded to wrap up his career with a state title

Also recruited by every major program in the land, including a late push by Alabama.
Yeah, he was overrated.

At this point he has almost no college stats and is half way through his career. When can we expect his breakout year?

Andrew do you believe Chad would have better stats or have the production of a 5-star if he went to Alabama?? I feel like your not taking into account the atrocious coaching and weight training he has received. We've seen what happens with this staff with guys like Howard, Chick, etc.

He would probably have better stats anywhere else. Chad is a freakish athlete but didn't have the body to be a 5 star prospect. At best Chad is a 3rd down rush end coming out of HS. 5 star guys should be ready to go year 1. Erick Flowers, Duke Johnson, Amari Cooper, and Nick Chubb come to mind. I am not saying the guy isn't worthy of playing here but I don't think he has all the tools to do what a lot of people said he would do.

a more suitable comparison would've been robert nkemdiche, but you're correct. 5* prospects show production by early November their freshmen year, regardless of position (with the exception of QB for the most part)

Advertisement
SUNDAY BUZZ COLUMN

With UM beating Pittsburgh in Friday’s regular-season finale (after losing to Pitt last year), here’s one puzzling, troubling reality the new Hurricanes coach must wrap his arms around:

Why does this program lose so many games to teams with significantly lower-rated recruiting classes (UNC, Cincinnati, several others in recent years) and get annihilated by a Clemson team with a similarly ranked class?

In other words, has this been entirely a case of coaches not extracting the most out of the talent, or have Miami’s recruits been vastly overestimated?

Many fans believed it was largely a coaching issue. But two NFL scouts said it’s a combination of both, and one longtime recruiting analyst said the high grades for Miami’s classes are misleadingly skewed.

It’s an issue the next UM coach must figure out, as he determines where the talent needs to be upgraded, what schemes must be changed and how much of a scheme change can help with the current personnel.

Exploring the issue with evaluators who have watched UM closely this season and previous ones:

### A respected NFC scout, who has seen Miami in person and on tape: “When a team isn’t performing [to expectations], there are two reasons: The kid isn't good enough or the coaches aren't doing a good enough job. This situation is a combination of both.

“Offensively, on the lines and the skill positions, I don’t see nearly the talent of past Miami teams. Their top receivers would be third or fourth receivers on old Miami teams. Rashawn Scott and Herb Waters are third-day guys [in the draft]. Stacy Coley has talent, but his play is mediocre [until recently]. I don’t see a great running back there now.

“But defensively, they should be better than this. There are eight or nine [draft-eligible] kids I've been looking at on their defense; no way they should be losing 58-0. They have two defensive linemen, [Ufomba] Kamalu and [Calvin] Heurtelou who will be at NFL camps. Neither one would have played on old Miami lines, but I’ll take them to at least try to make my team.

“They will never be able to return to those famous defensive lines with Cortez Kennedy and Jerome Brown, but they've got defensive linemen that are more than respectable for the ACC.

“They've got a talented secondary. Artie Burns has the talent to be a first-round pick. Corn Elder is a pretty good player. Deon Bush -- he's going to play in the league, maybe a fourth or fifth-round pick. Tracy Howard is a good little corner, a draftable kid, could be your fifth or sixth corner [on an NFL team].”

In regard to Rivals.com saying Clemson and Miami signed nearly identically rated recruiting classes, the scout said: “Clemson obviously is more talented from top to bottom. But with some [Miami] kids, they have talent and it doesn’t convert to the field.” He said one issue for Miami is undisciplined play, not merely penalties but in other ways.

For example: “Artie Burns has got everything you want skill wise, size wise in a corner and he can run, but he is so careless and undisciplined,” the scout said. “He makes a good play and then two, three plays later makes a dumb play. He gave up a touchdown in the Clemson game because he was dumb in his [technique]. Now is that coaching? I’m sure the coach told him what to do, but he wants to do things his way.”

The other NFC scout said he’s convinced the coaching (especially defensively) is holding this team back and Miami must use a defense more reliant on instincts and less on thinking.

“They’ve got to get back to a 4-3 defense and get back recruiting big kids," that scout said.

### Recruiting analyst Larry Blustein, on how UM is losing to teams with much lower-ranked recruits and being blown out by a team (Clemson) with similarly rated classes: “The canned answer is the coaching, but you’re grasping when you say that. It's a combination of things. The strength of Clemson was their defensive line, and the weakness of Miami is their offensive line, so they were exploited there.”

Blustein said: “USC went after five-star linemen and two and three star running backs. And five-star linemen can make two- or three-star backs look better. That's why USC didn't fade into oblivion after NCAA sanctions while Miami did.

“Miami hasn’t successfully recruited marquee defensive linemen in a long time -- they haven’t recruited guys in the right position to compete with Clemson.” He said the new coach must make that a priority.

“And some of these Miami kids were overrated,” Blustein said. “If these people doing the ratings were professional, they’d be working for a team. Rivals and Scout can make these anointments with nothing riding on it.”

But how can four-star St. Thomas Aquinas grad Joey Bosa go to Ohio State and have 21 sacks in his first two years there, while UM’s five-star Chad Thomas (from Booker T. Washington) had one?

“Bosa is being used in a better way. And look at the guys around him --- they’re better than the guys around Thomas, guys who allow Bosa to freelance,” Blustein said. “As it turned out, it doesn't look like Chad Thomas and Tracy Howard were five star [worthy] kids.

“The other factor is schemes,” Blustein said. “Duke doesn’t have the athletes Miami has, but there's a scheme, the way David Cutcliffe coaches and the way the kids respond.

“A scheme change can really make a difference. You would think [UM coaches] would have said, ‘Let's change it up.’ They have more 4-3 guys than 3-4 guys. But you can’t make Brad Kaaya into a spread quarterback if they want to play [a pure] spread” next year.

Former UM Heisman Trophy winner Gino Torretta makes a valid point: “The kids are thinking way too much [on defense]. Pare the scheme back; run a couple plays over and over. Let the kids play fast.” (Let’s hope the new 2016 coordinator does this.)

### Local recruiting analyst Charles Fishbein: "People look at skill positions and say, ‘We have Duke Johnson, Phillip Dorsett.’ The one thing I don't hear anybody bring up is where are all the defensive linemen? When was the last time they had a lineman drafted in the first three rounds? Calais Campbell [in 2008]. Where do you win games? Up front. Every team in the top 10 is great up front. Miami's problem is never going to be skill positions.”

The other thing the Hurricanes must do, Fishbein said, is improve their strength and conditioning program. “If they keep [longtime strength/conditioning coach] Andreu Swasey, it won't matter who the coach is. When was the last time Miami wore a team out in the second half of a game?”

UM CHATTER

### A close associate of Butch Davis said last week that Davis was optimistic that he would get an audience with UM athletic director Blake James in the week ahead. And when Davis canceled his scheduled appearance in ESPN2's studio on Saturday, that fueled speculation that Davis' interview was this weekend.

The normally accessible Davis declined to respond when I asked him Saturday if he interviewed, and agent Jimmy Sexton declined to discuss it with our Susan Miller Degnan.

By the way, Davis did not tell ESPN management why he requested the day off. And UM isn't saying a word publicly about the search, with advisory committee members having been sworn to secrecy.

The friend said Davis was excited about the potential opportunity to talk to UM. The question is whether what he has to say is compelling enough to lift him in James' eyes.

As we've written, James is considering Davis, despite some internal UM concerns about what happened at North Carolina (James was not implicated by the NCAA). And as we've noted, a friend of James has said that James knows he has Davis if nothing more appealing surfaces.

### Sports Illustrated's Pete Thamel, in a piece analyzing every college coaching opening, said it would be surprising if the UM job doesn't go to one of four people: Davis (his favorite to get the job), Rob Chudzinski, Greg Schiano and Dan Mullen.

As we noted last week, Chud and Schiano have some support on UM's advisory search committee. And Mullen, the Mississippi State coach, interviewed with UM before Al Golden was hired and left a favorable impression on at least one of the few people involved in that search. But would he leave a job paying him more than $4 million annually?

### Mario Cristobal is the most polarizing UM coaching candidate among Trustees (aside from Butch Davis), but associates and an NFL scout with whom he speaks said he has become a better coach working for Nick Saban.

Very simple answer to the question of why we get beat by teams with lower rated recruiting classes: our recruiting classes are overrated, mainly because south Florida players are somewhat overrated. I say that despite the fact south Florida puts out disproportionately so many great football players who succeed in college and the NFL. In the '80's, the recruiting gurus underrated south Florida talent. Now they tend to overrate some of the talent in south Florida because, well, it's south Florida. Still, we've had relatively mediocre coaching for a number of years and that also plays into it. And we do have a large number of players succeed in the pros, despite the fact I think our classes might be a bit overrated. It's multi-factorial. I've been following recruiting since the mid-80's and I definitely feel that college football, even up north and in the midwest has gotten more overrall speed. The world of college football took in the lessons we gave them in the late '80's and early '90's. Think of the success of Washington in '91. The late Don James, who shared the NC with us that year, was a former Miami QB. He visited our spring practice during, I think, JJ's era, and came away impressed with the emphasis on speed, and changed the orientation of his team to emphasize speed more. Other coaches took notice. I see more fast guys on all the teams we played, than what i saw in the '80's.

Also recruited by every major program in the land, including a late push by Alabama.
Yeah, he was overrated.

At this point he has almost no college stats and is half way through his career. When can we expect his breakout year?

Andrew do you believe Chad would have better stats or have the production of a 5-star if he went to Alabama?? I feel like your not taking into account the atrocious coaching and weight training he has received. We've seen what happens with this staff with guys like Howard, Chick, etc.

He would probably have better stats anywhere else. Chad is a freakish athlete but didn't have the body to be a 5 star prospect. At best Chad is a 3rd down rush end coming out of HS. 5 star guys should be ready to go year 1. Erick Flowers, Duke Johnson, Amari Cooper, and Nick Chubb come to mind. I am not saying the guy isn't worthy of playing here but I don't think he has all the tools to do what a lot of people said he would do.

a more suitable comparison would've been robert nkemdiche, but you're correct. 5* prospects show production by early November their freshmen year, regardless of position (with the exception of QB for the most part)

This is crazy. Like it's an immutable law that 5 stars produce by November of their freshman years. Some don't produce until much later, and some are absolute duds. Remember those highly ranked WRs we recruited from Orlando and Louisiana some years back? There are so many that become average, so many that become just good, and some who become superstars.

And we've had superstar players who were not even ranked coming out of HS.

I don't disagree with anything said. I think the article was spot on and very in line with what I have been saying all season.

Chad Thomas was overrated coming out of HS and was and is not near the football player Joey Bosa is. Chad Thomas should have been a high 3 star prospect and would have been if he played in another area. That being said he is raw and with the right coaching could develop into a NFL DE. It was just wrong to rate him that high coming out of HS. Look at all the highly rated players coming out of BTW and look at how many lived up to the hype.

The best coach Miami can hire is one that can coach is catch these SFLA kids up to what it takes to succeed at the college level.

You still mad at how btw smacked around your metro atl squad.
Chad Thomas doesn't take ped's or have the s&c that Bosa has or is in the same scheme. Quite frankly not even sure why they were compared. Lol at Chad being a 3star in another area? Do u know how he got his rating? By beating up on " national guys" from other areas at the opening.

I could Never compare a dline in Holden's scheme with another because quite frankly Chad Thomas or most of our guys weren't asked to be much of pass rushers , etc. that two gapping was/is terrible and can't be compared other than with guys in a similar scheme

Advertisement
New law: 5 star ain't produce by thanksgiving of freshman year he is a bust. Doesn't matter if a scheme ask him to ****y fight with lineman...that f-Cker better produce. Lol

I don't disagree with anything said. I think the article was spot on and very in line with what I have been saying all season.

Chad Thomas was overrated coming out of HS and was and is not near the football player Joey Bosa is. Chad Thomas should have been a high 3 star prospect and would have been if he played in another area. That being said he is raw and with the right coaching could develop into a NFL DE. It was just wrong to rate him that high coming out of HS. Look at all the highly rated players coming out of BTW and look at how many lived up to the hype.

The best coach Miami can hire is one that can coach is catch these SFLA kids up to what it takes to succeed at the college level.

Chad Thomas doesn't take ped's or have the s&c that Bosa has or is in the same scheme. Quite frankly not even sure why they were compared. Lol at Chad being a 3star in another area? Do u know how he got his rating? By beating up on " national guys" from other areas at the opening.

I could Never compare a dline in Holden's scheme with another because quite frankly Chad Thomas or most of our guys weren't asked to be much of pass rushers , etc. that two gapping was/is terrible and can't be compared other than with guys in a similar scheme

Thomas, McCord, AQM, and Harris would be savages with a real S&C program and a defense that emphasized using their natural athleticism in order to disrupt an offense and get to the QB. Instead we ask them to dance with OL so average LBs can try and stop a run. Or we make them cover WRs in the slot.

Alot of these kids would not have been recruited under butch, alot of butch tyoe players went on tk play at fsu bama lsu and uf

Very simple answer to the question of why we get beat by teams with lower rated recruiting classes: our recruiting classes are overrated, mainly because south Florida players are somewhat overrated.

Unfortunately your simple answer is wrong. Miami loses to teams with inferior talent because they are out coached. That's it, coaching.

Advertisement

About as mad as you are when Grayson crushed Miami Central with Dalvin Cook and Josephy Yearby in the backfield. That is the problem, Chad got his rating by not playing football but by being an athlete at a camp. At this point the NFL scout says he is overrated, he has no production through 2 seasons. Maybe the new coach will turn his career around but at this point arguing he was rated correctly is silly because he doesn't produce because he doesn't beat the guy in front of him.

Very simple answer to the question of why we get beat by teams with lower rated recruiting classes: our recruiting classes are overrated, mainly because south Florida players are somewhat overrated.

Unfortunately your simple answer is wrong. Miami loses to teams with inferior talent because they are out coached. That's it, coaching.

I think the answer is somewhere in between. SFLA guys tend to get rated higher when they attend a school with 10 other guys signing scholarships. SFLA still has the best football in the country but the rating of the players is off IMO

Advertisement

I think the answer is somewhere in between. SFLA guys tend to get rated higher when they attend a school with 10 other guys signing scholarships. SFLA still has the best football in the country but the rating of the players is off IMO

I can make the counter point that many more SFLA recruits are underrated, be it because of recruiting services catering to certain fanbases, geographical considerations, etc...

But my overall point stands - UVA, Duke, Cincy, and those type of teams have no where near the talent that Miami has yet the past three coaches lost to those type teams consistently. Coaching is by far Miami's biggest issue.

I can make the counter point that many more SFLA recruits are underrated, be it because of recruiting services catering to certain fanbases, geographical considerations, etc...

But my overall point stands - UVA, Duke, Cincy, and those type of teams have no where near the talent that Miami has yet the past three coaches lost to those type teams consistently. Coaching is by far Miami's biggest issue.

I agree on a lot of SFLA players being underrated but I don't think it has anything to do with what school they are committed to, but rather where they went to HS. I agree coaching is the biggest factor with UM right now. You take guys from SFLA where the high school coaching is terrible and then give them terrible coaching in college and wonder why they fail. Our next staff needs to be great coaches and not just recruiters. Why is Stanford so good every year? It might have something to do with the type of players they recruit .... smart ones

Advertisement
About as mad as you are when Grayson crushed Miami Central with Dalvin Cook and Josephy Yearby in the backfield. That is the problem, Chad got his rating by not playing football but by being an athlete at a camp. At this point the NFL scout says he is overrated, he has no production through 2 seasons. Maybe the new coach will turn his career around but at this point arguing he was rated correctly is silly because he doesn't produce because he doesn't beat the guy in front of him.

Ok, I've now read this too many times and have to address point by point.

You said: Chad got his rating by not playing football but by being an athlete at a camp.

Do you know what they actually do at the Opening? Talk to us a little bit about how Chad was "only" an athlete at The Opening and therefore the drills against his peers are not likely to translate, apparently. Why are these drills used to measure players against each other?

You said: At this point the NFL scout says he is overrated, he has no production through 2 seasons.

Yesterday, Dorsey wasn't a legitimate OC candidate because you couldn't find articles about the topic on the internet. Today, an anonymous, possibly made-up "NFL scout" in a "buzz" article that reads like a summary of message board musings says that Chad Thomas is overrated. This is your primary support for Chad Thomas' HS rating being overrated. Further, "he has no production." Do you know why? How are you judging production? Do you know his typical assignment as a 2-gapping DE? What are the key performance indicators you're using to address his production?

You said: Maybe the new coach will turn his career around

Well, isn't that convenient? You apparently have no idea how or are unwilling to judge or project a player within context, so you'll wait till after a player produces to say he's productive? By "turning his career around," do you mean he'll look different because he may get the opportunity to use his skill set? So, perhaps he may still be the same player he was rated as, but not able to produce as such? If Amari cooper had signed with us and then asked mostly to block, would you say his 5 star rating was unwarranted and that he'd be an overrated prospect?

You said: at this point arguing he was rated correctly is silly because he doesn't produce because he doesn't beat the guy in front of him.

It's only silly because you're asking the guy to produce stats that don't fit with what his actual assignment typically may be. If he's being asked to play contain, he is NOT going to produce your measures for success.

SUNDAY BUZZ COLUMN

With UM beating Pittsburgh in Friday’s regular-season finale (after losing to Pitt last year), here’s one puzzling, troubling reality the new Hurricanes coach must wrap his arms around:

Why does this program lose so many games to teams with significantly lower-rated recruiting classes (UNC, Cincinnati, several others in recent years) and get annihilated by a Clemson team with a similarly ranked class?

In other words, has this been entirely a case of coaches not extracting the most out of the talent, or have Miami’s recruits been vastly overestimated?

Many fans believed it was largely a coaching issue. But two NFL scouts said it’s a combination of both, and one longtime recruiting analyst said the high grades for Miami’s classes are misleadingly skewed.

It’s an issue the next UM coach must figure out, as he determines where the talent needs to be upgraded, what schemes must be changed and how much of a scheme change can help with the current personnel.

Exploring the issue with evaluators who have watched UM closely this season and previous ones:

### A respected NFC scout, who has seen Miami in person and on tape: “When a team isn’t performing [to expectations], there are two reasons: The kid isn't good enough or the coaches aren't doing a good enough job. This situation is a combination of both.

“Offensively, on the lines and the skill positions, I don’t see nearly the talent of past Miami teams. Their top receivers would be third or fourth receivers on old Miami teams. Rashawn Scott and Herb Waters are third-day guys [in the draft]. Stacy Coley has talent, but his play is mediocre [until recently]. I don’t see a great running back there now.

“But defensively, they should be better than this. There are eight or nine [draft-eligible] kids I've been looking at on their defense; no way they should be losing 58-0. They have two defensive linemen, [Ufomba] Kamalu and [Calvin] Heurtelou who will be at NFL camps. Neither one would have played on old Miami lines, but I’ll take them to at least try to make my team.

“They will never be able to return to those famous defensive lines with Cortez Kennedy and Jerome Brown, but they've got defensive linemen that are more than respectable for the ACC.

“They've got a talented secondary. Artie Burns has the talent to be a first-round pick. Corn Elder is a pretty good player. Deon Bush -- he's going to play in the league, maybe a fourth or fifth-round pick. Tracy Howard is a good little corner, a draftable kid, could be your fifth or sixth corner [on an NFL team].”

In regard to Rivals.com saying Clemson and Miami signed nearly identically rated recruiting classes, the scout said: “Clemson obviously is more talented from top to bottom. But with some [Miami] kids, they have talent and it doesn’t convert to the field.” He said one issue for Miami is undisciplined play, not merely penalties but in other ways.

For example: “Artie Burns has got everything you want skill wise, size wise in a corner and he can run, but he is so careless and undisciplined,” the scout said. “He makes a good play and then two, three plays later makes a dumb play. He gave up a touchdown in the Clemson game because he was dumb in his [technique]. Now is that coaching? I’m sure the coach told him what to do, but he wants to do things his way.”

The other NFC scout said he’s convinced the coaching (especially defensively) is holding this team back and Miami must use a defense more reliant on instincts and less on thinking.

“They’ve got to get back to a 4-3 defense and get back recruiting big kids," that scout said.

### Recruiting analyst Larry Blustein, on how UM is losing to teams with much lower-ranked recruits and being blown out by a team (Clemson) with similarly rated classes: “The canned answer is the coaching, but you’re grasping when you say that. It's a combination of things. The strength of Clemson was their defensive line, and the weakness of Miami is their offensive line, so they were exploited there.”

Blustein said: “USC went after five-star linemen and two and three star running backs. And five-star linemen can make two- or three-star backs look better. That's why USC didn't fade into oblivion after NCAA sanctions while Miami did.

“Miami hasn’t successfully recruited marquee defensive linemen in a long time -- they haven’t recruited guys in the right position to compete with Clemson.” He said the new coach must make that a priority.

“And some of these Miami kids were overrated,” Blustein said. “If these people doing the ratings were professional, they’d be working for a team. Rivals and Scout can make these anointments with nothing riding on it.”

But how can four-star St. Thomas Aquinas grad Joey Bosa go to Ohio State and have 21 sacks in his first two years there, while UM’s five-star Chad Thomas (from Booker T. Washington) had one?

“Bosa is being used in a better way. And look at the guys around him --- they’re better than the guys around Thomas, guys who allow Bosa to freelance,” Blustein said. “As it turned out, it doesn't look like Chad Thomas and Tracy Howard were five star [worthy] kids.

“The other factor is schemes,” Blustein said. “Duke doesn’t have the athletes Miami has, but there's a scheme, the way David Cutcliffe coaches and the way the kids respond.

“A scheme change can really make a difference. You would think [UM coaches] would have said, ‘Let's change it up.’ They have more 4-3 guys than 3-4 guys. But you can’t make Brad Kaaya into a spread quarterback if they want to play [a pure] spread” next year.

Former UM Heisman Trophy winner Gino Torretta makes a valid point: “The kids are thinking way too much [on defense]. Pare the scheme back; run a couple plays over and over. Let the kids play fast.” (Let’s hope the new 2016 coordinator does this.)

### Local recruiting analyst Charles Fishbein: "People look at skill positions and say, ‘We have Duke Johnson, Phillip Dorsett.’ The one thing I don't hear anybody bring up is where are all the defensive linemen? When was the last time they had a lineman drafted in the first three rounds? Calais Campbell [in 2008]. Where do you win games? Up front. Every team in the top 10 is great up front. Miami's problem is never going to be skill positions.”

The other thing the Hurricanes must do, Fishbein said, is improve their strength and conditioning program. “If they keep [longtime strength/conditioning coach] Andreu Swasey, it won't matter who the coach is. When was the last time Miami wore a team out in the second half of a game?”

UM CHATTER

### A close associate of Butch Davis said last week that Davis was optimistic that he would get an audience with UM athletic director Blake James in the week ahead. And when Davis canceled his scheduled appearance in ESPN2's studio on Saturday, that fueled speculation that Davis' interview was this weekend.

The normally accessible Davis declined to respond when I asked him Saturday if he interviewed, and agent Jimmy Sexton declined to discuss it with our Susan Miller Degnan.

By the way, Davis did not tell ESPN management why he requested the day off. And UM isn't saying a word publicly about the search, with advisory committee members having been sworn to secrecy.

The friend said Davis was excited about the potential opportunity to talk to UM. The question is whether what he has to say is compelling enough to lift him in James' eyes.

As we've written, James is considering Davis, despite some internal UM concerns about what happened at North Carolina (James was not implicated by the NCAA). And as we've noted, a friend of James has said that James knows he has Davis if nothing more appealing surfaces.

### Sports Illustrated's Pete Thamel, in a piece analyzing every college coaching opening, said it would be surprising if the UM job doesn't go to one of four people: Davis (his favorite to get the job), Rob Chudzinski, Greg Schiano and Dan Mullen.

As we noted last week, Chud and Schiano have some support on UM's advisory search committee. And Mullen, the Mississippi State coach, interviewed with UM before Al Golden was hired and left a favorable impression on at least one of the few people involved in that search. But would he leave a job paying him more than $4 million annually?

### Mario Cristobal is the most polarizing UM coaching candidate among Trustees (aside from Butch Davis), but associates and an NFL scout with whom he speaks said he has become a better coach working for Nick Saban.

Trenches, trenches and trenches.

Anybody that understands the game has watched our squads get dominated at the LOS for years, while our fanbase whines about 40 times and verticals.

Nick Saban, Urban Meyer and the likes have made a living off of recruiting beast lines and paying off cherry picked skill players from South FLA...and we still keep stock piling the best receiving corp.

Hopefully our next coach gets it. Wilfork does.

UM

Advertisement
Back