Speed

No, we didn't need innovation in a schematic sense from 99-03...but what Butch did with assembling and coaching up that talent is something that hadn't really been seen ever or since, and especially since scholarship limits...it may have been a rarity, but schools like USC had success doing it very similarly...pro schemes, pro players. So, in another regard it was innovative, just not schematically. In some ways you see a school like Alabama now doing it on defense...Butch was doing it at North Carolina defensively. Its not quite the spread, but it was something you didn't see before and have had it emulated a bit since.

Butch was a Quarterback away from starting that all over again at UNC.

Advertisement
Some guys run fast vs a clock.

Some guys run fast when they are chasing or being chased.

DVD ran a blistering time at the combine last year. 4.2 was it? Question for anyone with eyes. Did DVD play like a 4.2 or even a 4.5 guy in pads?

How about Brandon McGee? I swear he's the slowest 4.4 guy I have ever witnessed.

It's not all about speed against a clock. If a player has slow reaction skills he could be the fastest man in the world and he still isn't going to make the play.

Instincts? Do our players have them? Short term speed and reaction skills? Do we have those types of players?

I could care less what they run in shorts, I want football players first and foremost, players that will sacrifice themselves for the good of the team. I want guys that will fight for that extra yard, block downfield, put in effort in off season workouts, film room, practices, and games. Until we start developing those types of kids Miami will continue to be a mediocre program, it has nothing to do with speed.

Yea DVD was fast. His ball skillz were a question but I don't recall him getting burnt. Message board guys all agree with each other when they don't like a gut for some sorry reason and then when he get's to the pro's it's "coaching" when said player was doing the samething here for the most part.

No, we didn't need innovation in a schematic sense from 99-03...but what Butch did with assembling and coaching up that talent is something that hadn't really been seen ever or since, and especially since scholarship limits...it may have been a rarity, but schools like USC had success doing it very similarly...pro schemes, pro players. So, in another regard it was innovative, just not schematically. In some ways you see a school like Alabama now doing it on defense...Butch was doing it at North Carolina defensively. Its not quite the spread, but it was something you didn't see before and have had it emulated a bit since.

Butch was a Quarterback away from starting that all over again at UNC.

Butch had a squad in 2010 had it not been for those guys being suspened.

Some guys run fast vs a clock.

Some guys run fast when they are chasing or being chased.

DVD ran a blistering time at the combine last year. 4.2 was it? Question for anyone with eyes. Did DVD play like a 4.2 or even a 4.5 guy in pads?

How about Brandon McGee? I swear he's the slowest 4.4 guy I have ever witnessed.

It's not all about speed against a clock. If a player has slow reaction skills he could be the fastest man in the world and he still isn't going to make the play.

Instincts? Do our players have them? Short term speed and reaction skills? Do we have those types of players?

I could care less what they run in shorts, I want football players first and foremost, players that will sacrifice themselves for the good of the team. I want guys that will fight for that extra yard, block downfield, put in effort in off season workouts, film room, practices, and games. Until we start developing those types of kids Miami will continue to be a mediocre program, it has nothing to do with speed.

Yea DVD was fast. His ball skillz were a question but I don't recall him getting burnt. Message board guys all agree with each other when they don't like a gut for some sorry reason and then when he get's to the pro's it's "coaching" when said player was doing the samething here for the most part.

+1
Pretty much all our guys who is in the league now are doing the same thing they did here... The way some people talk about Shields you'll think he was an all-pro corner... The kid played 1 yr at db and did pretty good... He even made plays for us (Wake 09) but during his time here he sucked according to the fanbase... The same with Sharpton, Cmac, and who ever came through here during the past 4-6 years...

Nothing but the truth DMoney. Its one of the hallmarks of this program and we aren't accumulating nearly enough of it. If I'm Golden, I don't know how you can't put a premium on it, when you're smack dab in the hotbed for it.

Advertisement
I'm concerned, but I'm giving Golden a chance to do his thing. He's made Temple a winner, so I have faith. He may be trying to get big bodies now and find the right kind of speed in the upcoming years. We've had a ton of speed the past years and we've sucked. Apparently we can't outrun our sucktitude.

Advertisement
Back