Off-Topic Space, the final frontier, these are the voyages of NASA

Advertisement

The FAA and Fish&wildlife need to get their **** together. Sorry but stopping the starship program and this getting to Mars and other important advancements that will come along due to Starship testing, cause a couple of turtles were potentially harmed is insane. Also the FAA literally doesn’t have the ability (like literal man-hours) to grant SpaceX the 100+ launch licenses it will need next year And licenses for Starship…and that’s before accounting for the massive increase in launch Amazon is purchasing…

1698928322934.png

1698928358370.png

1698928381310.png

Advertisement
The FAA and Fish&wildlife need to get their **** together. Sorry but stopping the starship program and this getting to Mars and other important advancements that will come along due to Starship testing, cause a couple of turtles were potentially harmed is insane. Also the FAA literally doesn’t have the ability (like literal man-hours) to grant SpaceX the 100+ launch licenses it will need next year And licenses for Starship…and that’s before accounting for the massive increase in launch Amazon is purchasing…

Advertisement
I once saw a poll that said "most" Americans believed NASA got 20-25% of the entire Federal Budget. Those rockets and spaceships are expensive!

When the reality is they get maybe 1%?

Advertisement
I once saw a poll that said "most" Americans believed NASA got 20-25% of the entire Federal Budget. Those rockets and spaceships are expensive!

When the reality is they get maybe 1%?
If you were to take a poll asking percentages of a lot of things people are way, way off.

If you were to take a poll asking percentages of a lot of things people are way, way off.
Yep. Those "man on the street" responses to reporters asking the simplest questions about our country often produce such idiotic answers. They'd be funny if they weren't so sad.

Still, NASA is a bargain at the miniscule ($31B) level they are funded.

Yep. Those "man on the street" responses to reporters asking the simplest questions about our country often produce such idiotic answers. They'd be funny if they weren't so sad.

Still, NASA is a bargain at the miniscule ($31B) level they are funded.
But you just know that when the time comes to make cuts, they'll go for immensely popular programs like NASA.

Advertisement
But you just know that when the time comes to make cuts, they'll go for immensely popular programs like NASA.
Over the years NASA has had a GREAT PR effort to the American public, from Star Trek, to The Right Stuff, the magazine spreads of Astronauts, and live launches. Someone there, from the beginning, knew what they were doing and how important it was to keep the people on their side. It always was, and remains, an easy target for ****-bent budget slashers, Moon Landing Deniers, and the like.

I’ve begun watching For All Mankind with my wife, and having been a space exploration enthusiast it makes me think anew of just how tragic it was that NASA was slashed to the bone by the Nixon administration. What could have been! Multiple space stations, non base(s), perhaps manned exploration of Mars.

The decades old canard “we should fund programs that help people
on Earth before we look to space.” With that attitude, NASA, SpaceX, and others should not and would never exist.

The decades old canard “we should fund programs that help people
on Earth before we look to space.” With that attitude, NASA, SpaceX, and others should not and would never exist.
Which would be fine if we were actually funding programs that did that.

Advertisement
Back