South Florida is still producing with a caveat…

gacaneaddict

Junior
In this new social media age, and attention some of these high profile kids are getting It is my opinion they aren't working as hard in some cases, or going about their business with that "chip" on their shoulder like some of the more under recruited, or not as high profile kids.

Just look at the ALL ACC team this year.

Calijah Kancey-ACC Defensive Player of the year
Patrick Peyton-ACC Defensive Rookie of the year
Zay Flowers-ALL ACC
A.T. Perry-All ACC
Orande Gadsden II-All ACC

Others balling out:

Brandon Dorlus-All Pac 12
Mikel Jones-All ACC and Butkus Watch List
Tatum Bethune
Gabe Jacas-MIdseason Freshman AA, from Right above Palm Beach area

Look at our own Xavier Restrepo when healthy he balls out, and has outperformed other high profile WRs in and around his class. He has a dog mentality, and works very hard at his craft.

Now I'm not saying you don't recruit the 5 stars, because you do, but you need to use ZO and the scouting department to vet the kids, and find out who loves football, and who loves to work. Some of the south florida diva mentality is driven by the current state of culture around these young kids. They get so much attention they think they have arrived before they ever set foot on campus. They have 10 or 20K instagram followers, they are celebrities in high school.

Basically my point of this post is South FLORIDA is still producing high level ballers, you just need to identify better, look for traits, look for work ethic, character, etc..

Advertisement
Most of the kids that get early offers, early fame and high rankings tend to lose their hunger and drive. This has been my experience.

My hardest working, most reliable, most coachable kids have always been lower ranked kids with FCS or smaller P5 offers, or in some cases no offers at all. They continue to work their a$$ off through their senior year and they take that momentum to college with them.

Rashad Weaver (NFL), Fabian Moreau (NFL), Jon Feliciano (NFL), Brandon Dorlus (Oregon), Xavier Restrepo (Miami), Chris Townsel (USF), Javon Denis (Georgia State), Juwan Dowels (Syracuse), Michael Pratt (Tulane)...all "lower ranked" players who worked hard ALL THROUGHOUT high school, went to college and started/contributed early.

These higher ranked kids get offers/fame early and sometimes coast throughout high school. Then they try to turn it back on again once they get to college.

Most of the kids that get early offers, early fame and high rankings tend to lose their hunger and drive. This has been my experience.

My hardest working, most reliable, most coachable kids have always been lower ranked kids with FCS or smaller P5 offers, or in some cases no offers at all. They continue to work their a$$ off through their senior year and they take that momentum to college with them.

Rashad Weaver (NFL), Fabian Moreau (NFL), Jon Feliciano (NFL), Brandon Dorlus (Oregon), Xavier Restrepo (Miami), Chris Townsel (USF), Javon Denis (Georgia State), Juwan Dowels (Syracuse), Michael Pratt (Tulane)...all "lower ranked" players who worked hard ALL THROUGHOUT high school, went to college and started/contributed early.

These higher ranked kids get offers/fame early and sometimes coast throughout high school. Then they try to turn it back on again once they get to college.
Thanks for the insight/experience.

I'm also curious of your perspective on the HOW of kids getting ranked early. Early physical maturity, camps, 7 on 7s, etc., all play into those early rankings. Also, many AAU-type football kids correlate with certain mindsets.

There are a number of factors from which a really good evaluation team can identify good fits for a system. Shame we've sucked at it for so long.

Advertisement

Jon Feliciano been in the NFL for a minute, starting for the NY Giants this season at center.

2019 top 250
Jordan Battle- NFL bound
TS2- NFL bound
Ladson- injuries
Kaiir Elam - NFL
Akeem Dent - FSU starter
Khris Bogle- transferred to MSU after injury and still not playing much
Mark-Antony Richards- transferred to UCF and still not playing much
John Dunmore- transferred to Oregon St and still not playing much
Braylen Ingraham- hasn't played at Bama
Dontae Lucas- transferred to FCS So Bama
Kenny McIntosh- playing well at UGA
K Smith - leaving Miami via portal
Ge'mon Eaford- transferred to BCC from Oregon
Huff - leaving Miami via portal
Jaden Davis- playing at OU
Anthony Solomon- Arizona still not playing

2019 top 250
Jordan Battle- NFL bound
TS2- NFL bound
Ladson- injuries
Kaiir Elam - NFL
Akeem Dent - FSU starter
ladson is a bust beyond just injuries imo

Advertisement
Thanks for the insight Macho.

I think it is becoming more and more evident my point is true. Think about kids like Lamar Jackson and Greg Rosseau. Lower ranked kids with traits.

Obviously you still have your Jerry Juedy, Calvin Ridley, Amari Coopers too. Who can handle the fame, and still work? Who still has a great competitive spirit? Who wants to be the best?

100% Coach.A lot of These 5* kids have been coddled since they were 7-8 yrs old and by the time they graduate HS they have been told how great they are and have been allowed to do as they please since that time.They got by on talent and because of that they didn’t have too work or weren’t made too work by coaches who were just glad to have them.

Then they get to college and expect the same entitlement and they get a rude awakening.

That’s why you see teams like TCU , Cincinnati, etc beating teams with supposed better players that were ranked much higher ,like Miami, cause they come out of HS with big chips on their shoulders.

You need the 4-5* but you need to find the ones that want to work and not want things handed to them and I think this is what Mario is trying to do.Get players that have the want to be great instead of the kids like the ones we always seem to get lately whose get up and go got up and went..

100% Coach.A lot of These 5* kids have been coddled since they were 7-8 yrs old and by the time they graduate HS they have been told how great they are and have been allowed to do as they please since that time.They got by on talent and because of that they didn’t have too work or weren’t made too work by coaches who were just glad to have them.

Then they get to college and expect the same entitlement and they get a rude awakening.

That’s why you see teams like TCU , Cincinnati, etc beating teams with supposed better players that were ranked much higher ,like Miami, cause they come out of HS with big chips on their shoulders.

You need the 4-5* but you need to find the ones that want to work and not want things handed to them and I think this is what Mario is trying to do.Get players that have the want to be great instead of the kids like the ones we always seem to get lately whose get up and go got up and went..
It's the adults (coaches, parents and media) that are doing these kids a massive disservice. Sucking them off and not holding them accountable.

Unfortunately we get a post like this every year around the same time. One thing I’m happy Mario has done, is looked for talent outside of SoFL. The SoFL talent we’ve played with the last 21 years hasn’t produced a title nor a conference championship. We can blame coaches but I’ve seen players underperform and get punched and don’t fight back. Time to change the recipe.

Advertisement
Thanks for the insight/experience.

I'm also curious of your perspective on the HOW of kids getting ranked early. Early physical maturity, camps, 7 on 7s, etc., all play into those early rankings. Also, many AAU-type football kids correlate with certain mindsets.

There are a number of factors from which a really good evaluation team can identify good fits for a system. Shame we've sucked at it for so long.
They are getting ranked early from being on 7 on 7 teams and their buzz from youth ball.

We also have a lot of them that go to private schools early so they can also play as 8th graders. Guys like Brandon Innis played varsity int he 8th grade.

The kids with the early rankings offers...ARE THE YOUTH FOOTBALL LEGENDS. So they are the kids who have been getting their d*ck pulled from they were like 11 and some when they were like 8 or 9.

Ask @DMoney of the group of kid s i coached when they were 10....I told em they were super advance and had the skills....almost all of them are div 1 kids in this class and next class. Guys like CJ Donaldson(wvu)were in the group above and look what he did as a freshman. They are now ranking youth football kids so its easier to track now..well atleast in south florida. Larry Blustein use to track it

They are getting ranked early from being on 7 on 7 teams and their buzz from youth ball.

We also have a lot of them that go to private schools early so they can also play as 8th graders. Guys like Brandon Innis played varsity int he 8th grade.

The kids with the early rankings offers...ARE THE YOUTH FOOTBALL LEGENDS. So they are the kids who have been getting their d*ck pulled from they were like 11 and some when they were like 8 or 9.

Ask @DMoney of the group of kid s i coached when they were 10....I told em they were super advance and had the skills....almost all of them are div 1 kids in this class and next class. Guys like CJ Donaldson(wvu)were in the group above and look what he did as a freshman. They are now ranking youth football kids so its easier to track now..well atleast in south florida. Larry Blustein use to track it
There's a world of opportunity in properly evaluating the kids who aren't youth legends, don't play 7 on 7 or were late to the scene, and/or physically/mentally mature late.

There's also a world of opportunity in providing those early legends the optimal "mental" framework. Something that specifically helps them push through the natural regression that comes from feeling like they've done something - yet they're 14-15 years old and haven't truly begun to develop.

Of course, I'm biased because this (talent development) is now my life's work (going on 10 years). It's just difficult to watch how and why we've (the Canes) formed our teams and not be like "uh, we can stop guessing any time now..."

Advertisement

glad to see your name popping back up more on the boards!

2019 top 250
Jordan Battle- NFL bound
TS2- NFL bound
Ladson- injuries
Kaiir Elam - NFL
Akeem Dent - FSU starter
What a rogues gallery. Big oof!

I've said for years UM should hire you to do that bottom work on local kids like CJ.

Advertisement
Back