South Florida High School Football?

Advertisement
So basically the high schools scout the camps and if they like a player move the family to their location? Also, is it normal for kids to transfer multiple times in high school?

Negative this is against Florida High School Coaches Association and if the coaches are caught doing this both they and the school can be punished for it. It's more about finding the loophole.. For example, I played for Columbus High School in 2004 and decide for my senior year in 2005 I want to transfer to St. Thomas Aquinas High School I would look for a "legal guardian" that lives close to the school and use their address to transfer. Im not sure how much its changed since I played but this is how it worked for me back in the day...

Might as well ask the question here. Is the south Florida express only kids from south Florida and they play other Florida 7 on 7 teams and then the Florida fire recruit from all those teams? Or is the Florida fire just another team that competes against the SFE?

Those are private schools so they can do that..but it’s not just them, it’s the public schools..where is not supposed to happen

Private schools are also not allowed to recruit. We know they do it, but it is still prohibited by the FHSAA.

IMG is a different animal. Because of their model and because they openly advertise and recruit, they are not allowed to play in the postseason in any sport.

Advertisement
For example, I played for Columbus High School in 2004 and decide for my senior year in 2005 I want to transfer to St. Thomas Aquinas High School I would look for a "legal guardian" that lives close to the school and use their address to transfer. Im not sure how much its changed since I played but this is how it worked for me back in the day...

That doesn't make sense. As a private school, STA doesn't have a school zone, therefore you wouldn't need any kind of address close to the school.

Might as well ask the question here. Is the south Florida express only kids from south Florida and they play other Florida 7 on 7 teams and then the Florida fire recruit from all those teams? Or is the Florida fire just another team that competes against the SFE?

Florida Fire typically has a Palm Beach, Broward and Dade team, then they create an allstar team of the 3 teams for major tournaments.

SFE has one team.

Negative this is against Florida High School Coaches Association and if the coaches are caught doing this both they and the school can be punished for it. It's more about finding the loophole.. For example, I played for Columbus High School in 2004 and decide for my senior year in 2005 I want to transfer to St. Thomas Aquinas High School I would look for a "legal guardian" that lives close to the school and use their address to transfer. Im not sure how much its changed since I played but this is how it worked for me back in the day...

The whole address thing was eliminated when Scott signed HB 7029...HB 7029 allows kids to transfer to any school in the State as long as that school has room.

To give you an example, a kid from Dade, can actually transfer to a school in Palm Beach as long as that school has room.

Now Dade to Palm Beach is an extreme example, but you get my point.

"Gov. Rick Scott’s put his lawmaking pen to work Thursday, signing 20 bills into law, five of which honed in on education in the Sunshine State.

Among the bills signed into law was HB 7029, perhaps the most wide-sweeping education bill passed during this year’s legislative session. The bill, which received generally positive support in both the House and Senate, will have many different effects on Florida’s education system.

One of the key features of the bill allows parents to send their children to any school in the state as long as it has room. The transfer process would require school districts to post which schools have space for transfer students on their website and would let parents cross school district and county lines to have their child attend a different school.

The “transfer anywhere” provision would begin in the 2017-2018 school year.

Sports would also be affected by the new legislation, which will allow private schools to join the Florida High School Athletics Association (FHSAA) on a per-sport basis and make students who transfer immediately eligible for sports."

Miami Dade absolutely the wild west, as dirty as it gets, and it's not limited to coaches

Advertisement
It's not a 100% free for all. You can't just transfer from one school to another whenever you want. Any school that is at or near capacity, can't take transfers from outside their local area. Your school has to be designated "underpopulated". Most schools in Dade and Broward aren't underpopulated. Kids still use addresses of friends and family members to get around the transfer rules. My good friend is a high school administrator and he tells me about kids transferring to and from his school all the time. The school board kind of turns a blind eye towards it. At least in Broward. They have bigger issues than kids transferring to play sports.

Private schools definitely recruit although they're not allowed to offer athletic scholarships. They find plenty of ways around that rule though. From discounted tuition to part time jobs for student and parents, if St. Thomas or American Heritage wants you, they'll find a way to get you enrolled.

Are home schooled athletes now allowed to participate in high school sports?
They always have been. Tebow was home schooled.

Edit: just realized I repeated what the dude above me just posted.

Advertisement
It's not a 100% free for all. You can't just transfer from one school to another whenever you want. Any school that is at or near capacity, can't take transfers from outside their local area. Your school has to be designated "underpopulated". Most schools in Dade and Broward aren't underpopulated. Kids still use addresses of friends and family members to get around the transfer rules. My good friend is a high school administrator and he tells me about kids transferring to and from his school all the time. The school board kind of turns a blind eye towards it. At least in Broward. They have bigger issues than kids transferring to play sports.

Private schools definitely recruit although they're not allowed to offer athletic scholarships. They find plenty of ways around that rule though. From discounted tuition to part time jobs for student and parents, if St. Thomas or American Heritage wants you, they'll find a way to get you enrolled.
I played at a small private powerhouse in the mid to late 90s and they gave scholarships to top athletes. They had a system down, I transferred in along with a kid from Forrest Hills and they wrote hardship letters for us to be granted immediate eligibility. I had just played fall at my old school and was already playing for the new one in spring.
I can imagine all the shenanigans going on now.

Went to the little league Super Bowl at PAL field in Plantation and it was a who's who of Broward powerhouses.

STA, Chaminade, Deerfield, American Heritage, Western, etc...all had coaches in attendance...wearing their school's gear.

It's absolutely the wild wild west down here. It's got to the point where you better have an ace recruiter on your staff if you want to get any athletes. (much like college football)
Every winning program in Broward has at least one guy on their staff that is there for recruiting purposes. He's always a guy who's ingrained in the little leagues and 7-on-7 culture. In some cases, bad coaches retain their job because of their ability to bring in kids. HC's are scared to demote/fire the guy because he brings in kids.

Every staff I've been on has had at least one guy who's a recruiter. We usually put him at RB coach. However, at some programs he's the DC or even the HC.

I'm not against this anymore. It's just the way HS football is down here. Either get with it, or get left behind.
I know a couple guys in Broward right now who would be excellent Head Coaches but they won't even take the job offers because they don't have a way to bring in kids. You simply can't compete unless you can assemble a staff with some neighborhood cats on it who have their face in the streets. And if you don't personally know any guys like that then you'll constantly be fighting an uphill battle as a new HC.

Advertisement
Went to the little league Super Bowl at PAL field in Plantation and it was a who's who of Broward powerhouses.

STA, Chaminade, Deerfield, American Heritage, Western, etc...all had coaches in attendance...wearing their school's gear.

It's absolutely the wild wild west down here. It's got to the point where you better have an ace recruiter on your staff if you want to get any athletes. (much like college football)
Every winning program in Broward has at least one guy on their staff that is there for recruiting purposes. He's always a guy who's ingrained in the little leagues and 7-on-7 culture. In some cases, bad coaches retain their job because of their ability to bring in kids. HC's are scared to demote/fire the guy because he brings in kids.

Every staff I've been on has had at least one guy who's a recruiter. We usually put him at RB coach. However, at some programs he's the DC or even the HC.

I'm not against this anymore. It's just the way HS football is down here. Either get with it, or get left behind.
I know a couple guys in Broward right now who would be excellent Head Coaches but they won't even take the job offers because they don't have a way to bring in kids. You simply can't compete unless you can assemble a staff with some neighborhood cats on it who have their face in the streets. And if you don't personally know any guys like that then you'll constantly be fighting an uphill battle as a new HC.

^^ This

The guys who get poached hate it. The guys who poach players from other schools love it.

You're from Louisville and dont recognize Trinity as the top dog in football?

Well ****, I guess I'm just chop liver around this *****.
I've only been coaching high school ball in South Florida for 12 years. LOL

*crawls back into shell*
My bad Coach. You far from chopped liver. More like filet mignon!

Advertisement
Back