South Florida '24 - The LBs

itsdolphhh

Sophomore
Premium
This class, this LB group is better than the 2022 class, and miles ahead of 2023. We've got some guys I feel can be bonafide playmakers at the next level. Let's go!

TJ Capers, Columbus (6'2" 230) - Prototypically-sized LB with adept skill at blitzing the QB, diagnosing the run & dropping back in coverage. Verified 4.6 40. Played mostly edge role but projected as a pure off-ball LB at the next level. 70 tackles, 7 sacks and 11 QB hurries as a junior. Also plays basketball & a district qualifier in the long jump. Reclassified from 2024 to 2023 and signed with Louisville, but I forgot to cover him.

Jayden Parrish, Atlantic (6'1" 215) - Two way production machine at both RB and LB. As a junior, recorded 8 rushing TDs on offense to go with 153 tackles, 4 sacks and 14 TFLs on defense. Played a pure off-ball LB role in high school so there is not much projection needed. Excels at run fits & can also rush the passer. Shows great lateral quickness & closing speed in coverage. Will need to get bigger and stronger. FSU signee.

Nicholas Rodriguez, St. Thomas Aquinas (6'1" 215) - Broward County's 4M-3M Defensive Player of the Year. Played a pure off-ball role for the 4x state champs and excelled. 114 tackles, 9 sacks and 24 TFLs as a senior. Closes on ballcarriers like a bat out of ****. Hard hiiter. Also starred on the wrestling mat & was a 2x state qualifier. Mizzou signee.

Omar Thornton, American Heritage (6'0" 195) - Western transfer. Broward's 2M-1M Defensive Player of the Year. Exploded as a senior with 81 tackles, 8 sacks, 2 picks and 22 TFLs. Hits you like he has a personal vendetta against your mother. Elite in coverage & blitzing. I'm not sure if he's ever ran a laser-timed 40 but he is EXTREMELY FAST on film. Will need to get bigger. Boston College signee.

Jeremiah Marcelin, Norland (6'2" 220) - Played more of an edge role prior to senior year, totaling 14 sacks and 27 TFLs as a junior. Plodding in coverage & will need work. Big, muscular frame of a LB. Elite at blitzing. Pitt signee.

Vincent Shavers Jr., Miami Central (6'1" 205) - Played varsity at TRU Prep as an 8th grader, did freshman year at Chaminade Madonna, then 10th and 11th grade at Monsignor Pace, before transferring to Central as a senior. Has been making plays since elementary school. Spent most of his prep career as a stand up pass rusher/running back, but projects as a pure weakside LB. Not much film in coverage, but a superb blitzer & adept at run fits. No verified times but plays fast. Nebraska signee.

Kaleb Stewart, Chaminade Madonna (5'11" 200) - Started out at Western. Worked primarily as a stand-up edge rusher in a defense with multiple fronts. Finished HS career with 257 tackles, 13 sacks and 41 TFLs. No track times but plays very fast with great closing speed. Not much film in coverage, but shows good lateral quickness against the run. UConn signee.

Eduardo Nunez, Homestead (6'1" 210) - Spent freshman year at Columbus. Absolute heart & soul of the resurgent Homestead program. Finished career with over 300 tackles, 10+ sacks, 70+ TFLs, 6 picks and 13 pass breakups. Plays with his hair on fire. Terrorized St. Thomas Aquinas in the state title game 2 years in a row. Pure off-ball LB with elite instincts & football IQ. No track times but plays very fast. Reminds me of 2021 Hallandale LB Gaethan Bernadel, who starred at FIU before transferring to Stanford. Underrated. FAU signee.

Char'quez Lee, Miami Palmetto (6'2" 195) - LaSalle transfer. 100 tackles and 10 TFLs as a junior at the small school level. Blessed with great closing speed and change of direction. Very, very good in coverage & uses his length to his advantage. Needs to get bigger. FAU signee.

Remington Roberts, Fort Lauderdale High (6'2" 195) - Westminster Academy transfer. Track background. Extremely long with great ball skills & closing speed. Plays hybrid OLB-SS role, which I think he will excel at on the next level. Not quite as long, but looks like a young Jayron Kearse on film. Good blitzer. FAU signee.

Jarvis Johnson Jr., Westminister Christian (5'11" 210) - Belen transfer. Dominated weak competition. Two way star at RB and LB. Finished high school career with 270 tackles, 18 sacks and 86.5 TFLs on defense, and also rushed for 1,344 yards and 21 TDs his senior year. Legitimate D1 player on either end of the ball. Slight build but explosive athlete with great IQ and a nose for the ball on defense. Big play waiting to happen on offense. Must get bigger. FAU signee.

Advertisement
I thought Parrish, Rodriguez and Thornton were all UM caliber. I liked Capers but not for the price Louisville paid him. I'm really intrigued to see what Nunez and Roberts do at the next level as well.

I coached Omar Thornton and Vince Shavers in youth ball.

This group this yearis good.

Ed Nunez from Homestead is a sleeper ,fau got steals in this class.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Not to make too much of a tweet in the spring but Shavers was an early eval/commit yeah? Then was pushed out for some bigger prospects?

LB recruiting and evals looks solid so far as long as we don’t recruit anyone in the Marley family

Advertisement
Back