South Florida '23 - The RBs

itsdolphhh

Sophomore
Premium
When I think of "money position" in South Florida, the first 3 I think of are RB, WR & DB. This region has produced & continues producing superstars at the college & pro level. However, the 2021 class was a letdown, while the 2022 class stunk. On paper, 2023 looks to be a bit better than the previous 2 classes.

Mark Fletcher, American Heritage (6'1" 225) - Runaway freight train. Most 220+ lb. high school backs are sluggish, between-the-tackles type of guys, but Mark has excellent burst & vision in the open field. Good hands out of the backfield. Small lower half. Upright runner. 5K yards of offense & 53 total TDs in high school career. My comparison is LenDale White before the Fatburger subscription. Miami signee.

Chris Johnson, Dillard (5'11" 180) - He shares the same name as former NFL standout Chris Johnson. They also have identical frames & playing styles. Johnson is an ELECTRIC one-cut back with Olympic speed (10.25 100, 20.40 200.) Soft hands out of the backfield & will be immediately effective on screens. Can contribute on special teams as a returner. Will he be able to run between the tackles at the next level? Could he potentially move to DB? Miami signee.

Sedrick Irvin, Jr., Columbus (5'10" 190) - Gulliver transfer. Son of former Miami High & Michigan State standout. Has been hyped since his youth days. Jack of all trades, does a little bit of everything well. Good, not great athleticism. 1,050 yards & 10 TDs rushing as a senior, to go along with 4 TDs receiving. Stanford signee.

Javin Simpkins, Norland (5'9" 185) - Was once in discussion as one of the best backs down here, but was derailed by shoulder injury his junior year. Extremely shifty with impressive burst in the open field. Elite spin move would make Kyrie Irving's eyes wide. Operated in a one-back spread offense his whole career & is a superb receiver out of the backfield. 769 yards and 10 TDs rushing as a senior, 1,124 and 10 as a sophomore. Coastal Carolina signee.

Jashon Benjamin, Pahokee (5'8" 195) - One-cut speed demon with some toughness. Verified track time (10.70 100.) There's "regular fast" and "Muck fast" and he is definitely the latter. 1,312 yards and 14 TDs on the ground as a senior. Rutgers signee.

Jamari Ford, Northwestern (5'6" 165) - Brother of USF/FAU standout Johnny. Identical game. Jamari is an electric runner with impressive burst & the ability to make people miss. Elite receiver out of the backfield. Will contribute immediately as a returner. Buffalo signee.

Kamari Moulton, Cardinal Gibbons (5'9" 180) - Reminds me of Sedrick Irvin but faster. 11.01 100. Speed is evident in the open field. 2,325 yards and 30 TDs rushing last 3 seasons of high school. Will need to bulk up to handle pass blocking responsibilities in the Big Ten. Iowa signee.

Xavier Terrell, St. Thomas Aquinas (5'7" 165) - Originally from North Carolina. Spent first two seasons at IMG Academy. Tiny jitterbug with good cuts. FAU signee.

Ean Pope, Miami Central (5'8" 175) - Monsignor Pace transfer. Team leader. Good burst. Good hands out of the backfield. All Central RBs are built on the twin pillars of toughness & lateral quickness, and he is no different. Lettered in track. Cornell signee.

Ryan Bullard, Homestead (5'9" 175) - Killian transfer. Once was hyped earlier in his career as one of the next great South Florida backs, but his hype died tremendously. Good cuts & toughness. Average athlete. Played in a shotgun spread base at Homestead, good experience catching passes out of backfield. Campbell signee.

Marlin Cochran, Miami Northwestern (5'11" 195) - TRU Prep transfer. Speedy back with verified track speed (10.72 100) and it shows on film. Very elusive. I think his best position is DB. Western Carolina signee.

Gemari Sands, St. Thomas Aquinas (6'0" 185) - Part of an RB committee in the STA backfield and made the most of his opportunities, averaging 14 yards a carry as a senior after averaging 12 YPC as a junior. Running gait reminds me of former Stanford RB Bryce Love. Ran an 11.8 100 as a sophomore, but definitely looks much faster in his senior film. FAU signee.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I know we have a logjam of talented players at different positions but Chris is a different type of beast and needs to be handled that way. Kinda has a similar slender profile and reminds me of for some reason (maybe also jersey #6) to Black Mamba and I know Macho has said he wanted to be used in different ways like in slot and those types of things so it kinda fits. There is no way you have a chess piece like that and dont use it day 1 in different ways. Offensive coaches need to be put on trial for football malpractice if this dude isnt put in space and lighting up scoreboards, type of player who brings a different level of excitement to your program. We operate a spread that will put athletes in space, I want to see it.

Also I LOVE that they didnt dub his highlights with the generic hudl music and left all the band music, booth/cameraman comments, Stadium announcer sound included..

"Ahhh, we is not tackling!" "He gone, he outta there" "Thats what the **** he do bruh":durantunimpressed:

"Swing pass is complete... HE LOOSE! HE MIGHT! HE COULD! HE GONE!" :qft9gew:

" You not catching him.. Man got speed outta this world":u5pyxda:

I know we have a logjam of talented players at different positions but Chris is a different type of beast and needs to be handled that way. Kinda has a similar slender profile and reminds me of for some reason (maybe also jersey #6) to Black Mamba and I know Macho has said he wanted to be used in different ways like in slot and those types of things so it kinda fits. There is no way you have a chess piece like that and dont use it day 1 in different ways. Offensive coaches need to be put on trial for football malpractice if this dude isnt put in space and lighting up scoreboards, type of player who brings a different level of excitement to your program. We operate a spread that will put athletes in space, I want to see it.

Also I LOVE that they didnt dub his highlights with the generic hudl music and left all the band music, booth/cameraman comments, Stadium announcer sound included..

"Ahhh, we is not tackling!" "He gone, he outta there" "Thats what the **** he do bruh":durantunimpressed:

"Swing pass is complete... HE LOOSE! HE MIGHT! HE COULD! HE GONE!" :qft9gew:

" You not catching him.. Man got speed outta this world":u5pyxda:
Chris is the perfect example of your speed obsession. Speed matters and is needed everywhere. But, at some positions and for some players, its impact is disproportionate. We haven't seen HIS TYPE of speed in too long. Cannot f'in wait to see some of those early season 4th Quarters.

Advertisement
Chris is the perfect example of your speed obsession. Speed matters and is needed everywhere. But, at some positions and for some players, its impact is disproportionate. We haven't seen HIS TYPE of speed in too long. Cannot f'in wait to see some of those early season 4th Quarters.
You dont even know.. lol.. I told anyone who would listen when Lebron came to Miami IN HIS PRIME, to appreciate having that type of talent wear your hometown jersey at his peak athleticism and to enjoy it because it can be fleeting..

As you can imagine, Tyreek being one of my favorite current NFL players how much of a joy it is to not only have him local, but also teamed up with a HC who values the same things AND want speeeeeeeed EVERYWHERE on roster.. At end of day this is just people tossing a ball around for entertainment, I want to be entertained with something every few people in teh world can do.. Here is to hoping my Saturdays are exciting again.

Advertisement
Not taking offensive players or DB's in college because they're undersized pains me. You can't tell me Johnny Ford wasn't a take @ UM a few years ago. There's always room for a guy like that on the team. Also a lot of good undersized CB's that don't get recruited because of size yet we recruit knuckle draggers for their length who run a 4.7. This isn't the NFL.

Stanford and Cornell, these kids don’t need football to make a great life for themselves.
I was pleasantly shocked by the Central kid. Made my morning. I certainly know there's some brilliant kids in that program and school but I was unaware of any them being presented that opportunity. That's what's up, jit can definitely write his own ticket...

Advertisement
Not taking offensive players or DB's in college because they're undersized pains me. You can't tell me Johnny Ford wasn't a take @ UM a few years ago. There's always room for a guy like that on the team. Also a lot of good undersized CB's that don't get recruited because of size yet we recruit knuckle draggers for their length who run a 4.7. This isn't the NFL.

Obviously both size & speed is the ideal - but if you're going to go small, you better be sure they're fast. That's what we're doing with Allen, CJ, and CWH.

And if you want to get excited about Mark Fletcher - watch his SR film, not his JR.

Thank you for your valuable contribution.

Still waiting for an answer to my original question. Obviously you can't provide it.
Not that your reply was "valuable contribution" but It's the offseason goes in line with the who we hate more thread Gates or Noles and the obligatory uniform thread every year.

Advertisement

I'm salivating over CJ in Dawson's screen game.

Not that your reply was "valuable contribution" but It's the offseason goes in line with the who we hate more thread Gates or Noles and the obligatory uniform thread every year.
My initial response was a question. Do you have an actual answer, or are you just running your mouth?

Last edited:
Nice write up, that'll be fun to check back on in years coming.

One thing though, 10.25 isn't Olympic fast. It's blazing in football, but that's it. I know it's nitpicking, but I respect both sports. It kind of drives me crazy for some reason when people throw out Olympic speed when it's not. Happens all the time with fast football players.

Advertisement
Back