South Florida '22- The Safeties

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator
This is the weakest safety class in recent history. It's usually a loaded position (see Jordan Battle and Daniel Wright making plays in the CFP), but this year is lacking depth and high-end talent. There are still a few unsigned guys with upside, so it will be interesting to see how this class plays out.

Anthony Rose, 6’3, 180 (Central)- Intriguing size-speed prospect. Self-reports times in the 4.4s and plays fast. Long and lean. Has been productive with INTs his entire career. Went from Riviera Beach to Carol City to Hallandale to Central. Mostly played CB at Central but can play any spot in secondary. Gets away with a little bit of tightness because of length and makeup speed. South Carolina signee.

Phillip Dunnam, 6’1, 180 (North Miami Beach)- Lanky two-way player with smooth athleticism. Graceful strider at WR. Will go up and high-point the football. Played CB in high school but recruited as a S. Skinny and will need to prove physicality at college level. Cousin of former NFLers Louis Delmas and EJ Biggers. Indiana signee.

Alfonzo Allen, 5’10, 205 (Central)- Early bloomer who still has upside as a box defender. Low to the ground with RB build. Struggled some at safety in camp circuit and is much better close to the ball. Coordinated with punt return experience. Average foot speed. Seeks contact and has the ability to strike. Uncommitted.

Marquis Lymon, 5’9, 209 (Atlantic)- Prolific ballhawk with RB body. Heavy for his height but has natural explosion. Seeks out the big hit. Also plays RB. Could get even more athletic with better conditioning. Uncommitted.

Websley Etienne, 6’, 180 (Western)- Rangy safety who is still growing into his body. Long arms. Good athlete, PR experience. Popular YouTuber with over 156K subscribers. Arkansas State signee.

Darius Thomas, 6’2, 190 (Miramar)- Uncommitted safety who looks the part. NFL body type. Smooth athlete with powerful strides as a runner. Reminds me physically of former Miami signee Derrick Smith. Experience at WR and PR. Does not always play as physical as his size. Also lines up at CB. Legitimate upside because of the tools.

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/11734846/619d3a99ab922807b85d9ecf

Advertisement
Advertisement
Man, when I saw Marquis Lymon's tape in early 2021 I thought the guy was a must-get 5 star type. I just really don't understand how he's not a heavily recruited guy. Maybe I don't know **** about football.

If we get the DL we are targeting, I don't think we missed too much this cycle. Armella is a boom/bust kid, and there are a couple other OL I would have liked us to make a harder run at under Justice. But with the new staff coming on, they may have been washed out anyway given what happened with Carswell.

It's all about finishing with a couple more local DL.

Advertisement
Dunnam is a way better WR than DB, Indiana, his family & himself are all doing him a bad disservice.

Allen fits best as a striker/possibly even weakside backer. Coverage is NOT his strong suit. Anthony Rose did not stick out to me at all in the games I saw, but that's probably a testament to how loaded South Florida is with talent, there were like 20 D1 prospects on the field at the same time.

Size be damned, Marquis Lymon is a BEAST. I would sign him in a heartbeat. He gives me that Quan feeling when I watch him. He is my favorite safety prospect in several years.

This class seemingly peaked early and no one has yet to get to that next level, unfortunately. Some real projectable players though.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Marquis Lymon & Anthony Rose will play their best football in College.

People tend to think players are a finished product at 18 years old in High School.

It’s still possible for a player to get better & develop as he matures.
Lymon will get even better once he drops weight. He'll always be thickly built, but he was borderline chunky at the camps. And even with that weight, he still did a nice job in man coverage.

I remember a thread from about 2 years ago and getting so excited about Lymon and Allen for their sophomore highlights.

If we were after another safety (which it doesn't seem we are)...I'd take Allen. I understand he's not a prototype though.

Advertisement
Back