South Florida '22- The DTs

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator
There is a lot of talk about edge rushers, but this is quietly a stacked year locally at DT. There are five P5 kids at a position that is hard to find anywhere. All of these guys have a path for success, even if there is no Leonard Taylor in the group.

Ahmad Moten, 6’3, 290 (Cardinal Gibbons)- Flexible, coordinated big man who dominated as a senior. Big-boned with true DT frame. Not much bad weight. Knock-back power but can also slip blocks with swim move. Usually the first guy off the ball. Two-time state champion. Brother, Anthony, played at Miami. Oklahoma, Clemson and Miami are involved.

Alton Tarber, 6‘1.5, 305 (Deerfield Beach)- Stout run-stuffer who has been on the radar since his youth days. Good straight-line burst. On the shorter side, but has long arms he extends into blockers. Has leaned out over the course of his career. Hard to move against the run. Lacks some lateral quickness as a pass rusher. Motor can run hot and cold, which is not unusual for a high school DT. Oklahoma signee.

Jamaal Whyce, 6’3, 270 (Florida Christian)- Moved from Dayton, Ohio to Miami after sophomore year. Dominated overmatched private school competition. Very good straight-line speed for a DT (self-reported 4.8). Lean with little bad weight. Father played at Miami Central, Marshall and the Arena League. Will need to play lower and fill out but has real upside due to athleticism and frame. South Carolina signee.

Daniel Lyons, 6’4, 286 (Homestead)- Tall TFL machine. Excels at shooting gaps despite upright playing style. Similar physical tools to the late Bryan Pata. A little out of shape at camp circuit and will benefit greatly from college strength program. FSU signee.

Belizaire Bassette, 6’1.5, 270 (American Heritage)- Twitchy fire hydrant. Sudden and quick off snap. Consistently makes plays on other side of the line. Size limits him if you run straight at him. Reminds me a little of Calijah Kancey. Syracuse signee.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Weird Manny and staff just completely didn't recruit certain local position groups... RB, WR, DT, OL. Not only did we not land any of them but none even seemed to peak our interest. Not saying we are missing out on much but feels like there's a guy within each group that we should have at least been recruiting.

Advertisement
Weird Manny and staff just completely didn't recruit certain local position groups... RB, WR, DT, OL. Not only did we not land any of them but none even seemed to peak our interest. Not saying we are missing out on much but feels like there's a guy within each group that we should have at least been recruiting.

They knew the s.fla rb group for this year was sh*t...so they took Brown from GA. This was stated when they took him.

At DT they recruited Lyons pretty tough n got beat out i believe. They offered Whyche..didnt go hard. Moten was a late bloomer that they just began to look at.

They aint like any of the OL.

At WR ..locally i liked Mortimer and Camden Brown alot. They didnt go after them. But locked up Ibieta and Horton...who both are good imo.

Advertisement
Personally knowing him, he's a good kid & extremely tough, his childhood would be an inspirational Lionsgate movie. He looks the part of an elite DT & his athleticism is crazy, the only question is that he played against booty competition both in Ohio & down here

The athleticism - is what I was told - out of control as well as just being a really good kid.

What was the story on Tarbor? Simpson was after him for while. Looks like we missed on opportunity on some local DTs.

Advertisement
Motor issues, I guess.

Mrs Freepawn been having some motor issues, too:
04-21-09-broom.jpg

Regarding Tarber...
Some of you might remember, I spoke about this prior to the season. The motor issues were not a completely unfair concern. It was valid. But if some of you remember that conversation, I also said that he was cranking it up this year. And he did.
He knew about the criticism, and he stepped up.

Laterally he's probably limited. He's not one of those long, thin-ankled, agile DT's.
He's a war daddy plugger.
And what he does arguably better than anybody in the state, definitely better than anybody in South Florida, is stay in a gap and be immovable. The kid doesn't even budge on double teams.

There truthfully wasn't a spot for Tarber in Manny's scheme, but if we're going to be a multiple front defense going forward, you definitely would like to have a guy like AT.
He's EXACTLY who you need at NT in an Odd Front, because he's going to be an absolute nightmare for the opponent's Center. I think that's what Venerables sees in him.
We definitely do not have a guy like him on the roster right now.

Advertisement
Back