South Florida '19- The TEs and H-Backs

View as article

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator
South Florida has never been a tight end hub. Most players with that body type seem to end up at pass rusher. But things are changing for the better. This year, I expect at least three tight ends to sign with Power 5 schools.

* means verified measurements

Gary Cooper- 6’1, 217, 4.76* (Columbus)- The top SPARQ athlete at the Miami Opening, with a whopping score of 116.37. Well-built and twitchy athlete (39 inch VJ) who has some similarities to a poor man’s Vernon Davis. Flashed excellent ball skills at the Opening. Likely projects as an H-back at the next level. Indiana commit who should be playing at a bigger school, in my opinion.

Nikolas Ognenovic- 6’5, 232, 4.88* (Cardinal Gibbons)- Big in-line TE with deceptive receiving skills. He doesn’t look athletic running around, but he knows how to use his body and catch the ball against top competition. Flashes upside as a blocker. Strong measurables. Lot to like as a complete TE prospect. Kentucky commit.

Rahmod Smith- 6’5, 202, 5.05* (Homestead)- Raw, oversized WR with upside. Very good ball skills. Capable of making spectacular catches. Limited after catch. Should improve weight and speed as he gets older. Gets off the line very well for a bigger guy. Potential breakout as his body develops. Standout at the Mark Richt camp and competed at Paradise. UNLV commit.

Junior HL

Beau Johnson- 6’, 215* (American Heritage)- Son of Canes Baseball great Charles Johnson and brother of Tennessee WR Brandon Johnson. Flexes and plays in-line at Heritage, but does most of his damage at H-Back. Tracks the ball well and is a willing blocker. Can sink his hips as a route runner. Tough after the catch. Height limits his upside, but a solid football player.

Junior HL

Devanno Whitfield- 6’3, 246* (Doral)- Recently converted basketball player with nice upside at TE or, more likely, DL. Flashed raw talent competing at TE at the Rivals camp. First offer came from Butch Davis at FIU.

Rivals Camp HL

Advertisement
Guy has some pop when he its people. I know we have Hodges for a similar role but this guy with his physicality and abilities would not be a bad selection should we have any schollies available.
Could he be made to do more of a fullbacks roles since T. Gray is a senior this year and George is the only FB we have on the roster?
Guy looks like he has the frame to be 235-240. You cannot teach the explosion he has.

D, Money--
"Indiana commit who should be playing at a bigger school, in my opinion."

I agree and his offer sheet suggest the same thing.

Advertisement
If we whiff on Zipp and Wydermyer, do you think we go after a local guy like Gary Cooper? Not sure if he fits well with Hodges as they are both short and H-back types.

If we whiff on Zipp and Wydermyer, do you think we go after a local guy like Gary Cooper? Not sure if he fits well with Hodges as they are both short and H-back types.
Good thought. The one thing in our favor is we do miss on the TE's you mentioned is that Mallory and Jordan are two real studs in one recruiting class and that gives a cushion for this year. As in 2020 Mammarelli is there and who else we can recruit between now and then.
As one poster said Cooper could be developed into a very creditable blocking FB with receiving skills at the very least.

Guy has some pop when he its people. I know we have Hodges for a similar role but this guy with his physicality and abilities would not be a bad selection should we have any schollies available.
Could he be made to do more of a fullbacks roles since T. Gray is a senior this year and George is the only FB we have on the roster?
Guy looks like he has the frame to be 235-240. You cannot teach the explosion he has.

I think we should load up on guys like that (given our desire to run more power) but I was told that won't happen. Guys like Cooper can also help you on special teams.

I think Cooper overlaps with Hodges.

The guy I've been hyping since February is Sam Snyder from Fleming Island. 6'5, 200 with verified 4.59 speed and 40-inch VJ. He was mostly a LT last year on his high school team but is a natural receiver. He had no big offers until recently when Louisville came calling and got his commitment. Here are his highlights from spring:

Advertisement
I think we should load up on guys like that (given our desire to run more power) but I was told that won't happen. Guys like Cooper can also help you on special teams.

The guy I've been hyping since February is Sam Snyder from Fleming Island. 6'5, 200 with verified 4.59 speed and 40-inch VJ. He was mostly a LT last year on his high school team but is a natural receiver. He had no big offers until recently when Louisville came calling and got his commitment. Here are his highlights from spring:

Looks like hidden gem if he can add big time weight to his frame. Definitely hope we keep tabs on him.

Gary Cooper is the type of player that really needs to end up at a place...like...well...here.

He would get no fan fare and maybe you don't get much out of him early on because he needs to develop into an HBack, but he's the type of swiss army knife projection that has a real role in modern football. In that NFL Niles Paul spectrum of player.

South Florida has never been a tight end hub. Most players with that body type seem to end up at pass rusher. But things are changing for the better. This year, I expect at least three tight ends to sign with Power 5 schools.

* means verified measurements

Gary Cooper- 6’1, 217, 4.76* (Columbus)- The top SPARQ athlete at the Miami Opening, with a whopping score of 116.37. Well-built and twitchy athlete (39 inch VJ) who has some similarities to a poor man’s Vernon Davis. Flashed excellent ball skills at the Opening. Likely projects as an H-back at the next level. Indiana commit who should be playing at a bigger school, in my opinion.

Nikolas Ognenovic- 6’5, 232, 4.88* (Cardinal Gibbons)- Big in-line TE with deceptive receiving skills. He doesn’t look athletic running around, but he knows how to use his body and catch the ball against top competition. Flashes upside as a blocker. Strong measurables. Lot to like as a complete TE prospect. Kentucky commit.

Rahmod Smith- 6’5, 202, 5.05* (Homestead)- Raw, oversized WR with upside. Very good ball skills. Capable of making spectacular catches. Limited after catch. Should improve weight and speed as he gets older. Gets off the line very well for a bigger guy. Potential breakout as his body develops. Standout at the Mark Richt camp and competed at Paradise. UNLV commit.

Junior HL

Beau Johnson- 6’, 215* (American Heritage)- Son of Canes Baseball great Charles Johnson and brother of Tennessee WR Brandon Johnson. Flexes and plays in-line at Heritage, but does most of his damage at H-Back. Tracks the ball well and is a willing blocker. Can sink his hips as a route runner. Tough after the catch. Height limits his upside, but a solid football player.

Junior HL

Devanno Whitfield- 6’3, 246* (Doral)- Recently converted basketball player with nice upside at TE or, more likely, DL. Flashed raw talent competing at TE at the Rivals camp. First offer came from Butch Davis at FIU.

Rivals Camp HL

Just a heads up, title says South Florida '18, should be '19.

Advertisement
I like coopers film alot. He'd fit at HB or as an athletic FB who can catch out of the backfield (something we haven't had since quad hill).

Advertisement

Nice find 6,5 4.59 an an a 40 inch vert sounds like a baller!!!!

Nice find 6,5 4.59 an an a 40 inch vert sounds like a baller!!!!

He has the frame to put on nice weight. If we get Wyndermayer or Zipp we have no complaints, but Snyder has a chance to develop into something.

Cooper should be a take...FB who can also plays on Special teams

Advertisement
Back