South Florida '19- The RBs

Advertisement
Great work. I refuse to question Brown's decision-making with RBs. He's a **** of a coach. And Crowley, McIntosh and Richards as an athlete is an incredible haul. But I do wish we would figure out how to keep Wright. Is there any way to fit all four into the class together?

Great work. I refuse to question Brown's decision-making with RBs. He's a **** of a coach. And Crowley, McIntosh and Richards as an athlete is an incredible haul. But I do wish we would figure out how to keep Wright. Is there any way to fit all four into the class together?

I honestly think we better worry about keeping Mcintosh...I mean it isn't an irrecoverable loss, but seems like a lot of OU buzz

I want to see McIntosh run track next year. Needs to improve long speed. He’s not winning states in the 100 & 200 but it will help on the field.

Advertisement
I like McIntosh out of this group - but I think his position might be LB.

I hope we continue to look outside of South FL for RB's this year. It can be a mistake to just assume there's a stud RB in South Fla every year.

It can be a mistake to just assume there's a stud RB in South Fla every year.

2009- Lamar Miller, Branden Oliver
2010- Giovani Bernard, James White
2011- Devonta Freeman, Tre Mason
2012- Duke Johnson
2013- Alex Collins, Matt Dayes
2014- Dalvin Cook, Sony Michel
2015- Mark Walton
2016- Travis Homer, Devin Singletary, Zack Moss

It's a pretty safe assumption. The only exception I can think of is 2017, and that was because Burns was injury-prone. And even then, Mike Epstein looks like he will be one of the top backs in the Big 10 if he stays healthy.

We should bring in a South Florida back every year, and exclusively recruit Florida backs unless an Adrian Peterson-type loves Miami.

2009- Lamar Miller, Branden Oliver
2010- Giovani Bernard, James White
2011- Devonta Freeman, Tre Mason
2012- Duke Johnson
2013- Alex Collins, Matt Dayes
2014- Dalvin Cook, Sony Michel
2015- Mark Walton
2016- Travis Homer, Devin Singletary, Zack Moss

It's a pretty safe assumption. The only exception I can think of is 2017, and that was because Burns was injury-prone. And even then, Mike Epstein looks like he will be one of the top backs in the Big 10 if he stays healthy.

We should bring in a South Florida back every year, and exclusively recruit Florida backs unless an Adrian Peterson-type loves Miami.

I think the mistake comes when thinking there's always a "Stud" RB (someone we want as a starter/has NFL talent) vs. a solid college RB (someone we want as a 2nd/3rd option).

I think it goes in waves - and the mistake can be assuming there's a "Stud" in South Florida ever year

Mid 90's - early 2000's:
- So Fla has Fred Taylor, Edgerrin James, James Jackson and just Dade had Willis McGahee, Frank Gore, Najeh Davenport

2002 - 2008:
- I think that run the previous 6-7 years led to thinking the best RB is So Fla would always be a 5 Star RB
- That led to Charlie Jones, Bobby Washington, Tyrone Moss, Antone Smith, Antwain Easterling, etc. all being ranked as 5 star type/Top RB's in their classes. I think they became overrated based on "assumption"

2009 - 2014
- That run was pretty ridiculous for talent as you've pointed out. Just Dade/Broward was producing NFL talent every year.

2015 - Now
- I sort of see the 02 - 08 mistake repeating itself
- Mark Walton was ranked as the #1 RB in his class before reclassifying. Robert Burns was the #1 RB in his class before being injured most of his Jr/Sr year. I think RB's like Cook & Davis are a bit overrated in the 2018 class. They're getting a bump because of the run of RB's from 09 - 14.
- And I see some good players, but no Studs in the 2019 class in this thread.
- Travis Homer is the only South Florida RB I see potentially being on the same level as the 09 - 14 RB's from the 15 - 19 crop

My main thing is we need to:
1) Be able to identify and be realistic about the difference between a Joe Yearby and a Dalvin Cook. Very similar ratings, but a huge gap in talent.
2) Don't get too locked in to Dade/Broward. I think our current group of non Dade/Broward RB's (Homer, Dallas, Lingard) are on a different level than the Dade RB's (Davis/Burns/Choc).

Advertisement
I think the mistake comes when thinking there's always a "Stud" RB (someone we want as a starter/has NFL talent) vs. a solid college RB (someone we want as a 2nd/3rd option).

I think it goes in waves - and the mistake can be assuming there's a "Stud" in South Florida ever year

Mid 90's - early 2000's:
- So Fla has Fred Taylor, Edgerrin James, James Jackson and just Dade had Willis McGahee, Frank Gore, Najeh Davenport

2002 - 2008:
- I think that run the previous 6-7 years led to thinking the best RB is So Fla would always be a 5 Star RB
- That led to Charlie Jones, Bobby Washington, Tyrone Moss, Antone Smith, Antwain Easterling, etc. all being ranked as 5 star type/Top RB's in their classes. I think they became overrated based on "assumption"

2009 - 2014
- That run was pretty ridiculous for talent as you've pointed out. Just Dade/Broward was producing NFL talent every year.

2015 - Now
- I sort of see the 02 - 08 mistake repeating itself
- Mark Walton was ranked as the #1 RB in his class before reclassifying. Robert Burns was the #1 RB in his class before being injured most of his Jr/Sr year. I think RB's like Cook & Davis are a bit overrated in the 2018 class. They're getting a bump because of the run of RB's from 09 - 14.
- And I see some good players, but no Studs in the 2019 class in this thread.
- Travis Homer is the only South Florida RB I see potentially being on the same level as the 09 - 14 RB's from the 15 - 19 crop

My main thing is we need to:
1) Be able to identify and be realistic about the difference between a Joe Yearby and a Dalvin Cook. Very similar ratings, but a huge gap in talent.
2) Don't get too locked in to Dade/Broward. I think our current group of non Dade/Broward RB's (Homer, Dallas, Lingard) are on a different level than the Dade RB's (Davis/Burns/Choc).

Dont really know how 02-08 was a mistake. Im locking in on the elite dade/broward as they are likely better than most in the country. Just have to know hwo the elites are...Choc Gray/Burns never were. Yearby was and had he finished his career would have put up solid college numbers.

Dont really know how 02-08 was a mistake. Im locking in on the elite dade/broward as they are likely better than most in the country. Just have to know hwo the elites are...Choc Gray/Burns never were. Yearby was and had he finished his career would have put up solid college numbers.

To me, the mistake was in how the 02 - 08 So Fla RB's were rated, and assuming there's always a stud in South Florida.

The 02 - 08 RB's would've been drafted in about the 04 - 11 NFL drafts. 100+ RB's were taken in those drafts, and I think Kevin Smith was the only one from South Florida. I'm probably wrong, but that's the only one I can think of.

So there was plenty of better talent in the rest of the country, we were just satisfied with staying home and assuming we were getting elite talent.

South Florida, by far, has produced the best RB's in the past 10 years. It's produced, by far, has the best RB's in the past 20 years. No question. The mistake is assuming the best RB is South Florida will always be a big time college RB, and we can just stay in South Florida.

IMO - James/McGahee/Davenport/Gore being so **** good are a large reason other South Florida RB's players were ranked so high. People just assumed the hot streak would continue

2003 - Tyrone Moss #4 RB
2004 - Charlie Jones #3 RB, Bobby Washington #4 RB
2005 - Antone Smith #3 RB

And I think the 09-14 RB's have had a similar trend on the 2015 - 2019 RB's. People think the hot streak will just continue. There are plenty of solid RB's, just not elite IMO. Not what we need to get back to winning NC's

To me, the mistake was in how the 02 - 08 So Fla RB's were rated, and assuming there's always a stud in South Florida.

The 02 - 08 RB's would've been drafted in about the 04 - 11 NFL drafts. 100+ RB's were taken in those drafts, and I think Kevin Smith was the only one from South Florida. I'm probably wrong, but that's the only one I can think of.

So there was plenty of better talent in the rest of the country, we were just satisfied with staying home and assuming we were getting elite talent.

South Florida, by far, has produced the best RB's in the past 10 years. It's produced, by far, has the best RB's in the past 20 years. No question. The mistake is assuming the best RB is South Florida will always be a big time college RB, and we can just stay in South Florida.

IMO - James/McGahee/Davenport/Gore being so **** good are a large reason other South Florida RB's players were ranked so high. People just assumed the hot streak would continue

2003 - Tyrone Moss #4 RB
2004 - Charlie Jones #3 RB, Bobby Washington #4 RB
2005 - Antone Smith #3 RB

And I think the 09-14 RB's have had a similar trend on the 2015 - 2019 RB's. People think the hot streak will just continue. There are plenty of solid RB's, just not elite IMO. Not what we need to get back to winning NC's

I hear you...But Tyrone Moss wasnt an assumption. Him being ranked so high had nothing to do witht he others. He put up numbers as an underclassmen. Antone Smith became an nfl back. Charlie Jones i admit was always overrated. BW had the talent just off the field stuff. He had a 1k rushing season under his belt in college.

I honestly dont see an elite guy in this years class...but guarantee some names on that list end up being good and eventual nfl players.

I hear you...But Tyrone Moss wasnt an assumption. Him being ranked so high had nothing to do witht he others. He put up numbers as an underclassmen. Antone Smith became an nfl back. Charlie Jones i admit was always overrated. BW had the talent just off the field stuff. He had a 1k rushing season under his belt in college.

I honestly dont see an elite guy in this years class...but guarantee some names on that list end up being good and eventual nfl players.

Yeah - it can be a crapshoot, so it's probably better to roll the dice on South Florida talent. I'm just still bitter we didn't offer Jerry Seymour

Advertisement
Yeah - it can be a crapshoot, so it's probably better to roll the dice on South Florida talent. I'm just still bitter we didn't offer Jerry Seymour

Was my former teammate. Would of been a darren sproles type for us. He carved up Michigan as a true freshman at Central Michigan. Currently trains youth players and NFL guys at RB. Had Lamar Miller and a few others last week. So hes doing well

Man I ain't seeing it with McIntosh. Saw shish highlights said dude is slow....the I see he runs s a 4.8 lol sorry he ain't playing rb....the dude nayquan is tr he **** truth miami would he dumb to pass on him. All I gotta say is he runs like a pitbull. Powerful running through tacklers. Downhill no nonsense great vision. Strong as ****.

Was my former teammate. Would of been a darren sproles type for us. He carved up Michigan as a true freshman at Central Michigan. Currently trains youth players and NFL guys at RB. Had Lamar Miller and a few others last week. So hes doing well

Oh man, that's awesome. Totally agree that he would've showed out at Miami. He carved up Michigan St too. His HS highlight tape was one of the best I've ever seen. Good to hear he's doing well.

Advertisement
Man I ain't seeing it with McIntosh. Saw shish highlights said dude is slow....the I see he runs s a 4.8 lol sorry he ain't playing rb....the dude nayquan is tr he **** truth miami would he dumb to pass on him. All I gotta say is he runs like a pitbull. Powerful running through tacklers. Downhill no nonsense great vision. Strong as ****.
Power wise Wright dont got it like that. He gets taken down by the first person that touches him almost every time. Based on what Richt and Brown look for in a running back Mcintosh fits it to a tee. Its Kenny > Wright for me...

Power wise Wright dont got it like that. He gets taken down by the first person that touches him almost every time. Based on what Richt and Brown look for in a running back Mcintosh fits it to a tee. Its Kenny > Wright for me...
I just Like what mcintosh can potentially bring, he’s not he fastest for sure but he’s big, athletic, elusive and is a very good pass catching back. Even with his speed concerns he still breaks plenty of long runs

Make did u see his highlights cats cant get a clen hit in h I'm hes bullying his way through defenders

Career reviews

Kenny McIntosh - Signed with UGA. Part of RB rotation in 2019, 2020, and 2021. Georgia's top RB in 2022 & was one of the nation's best backs, showcasing an all-around skillset as a runner and receiver. Drafted in the 7th round by Seattle in 2023.

Nay'quan Wright - Signed with UF. Redshirted 2019. Part of RB rotation in 2020, 2021 and 2022. Transferred to USF. Team's top RB in 2023, average numbers.

Daniel Carter - Signed with Pitt. Redshirted 2019, backup RB rest of career.

Vincent Davis - Signed with Pitt. Part of the rotation in 2019. Team's top back in 2020 and 2021. Took a back seat to Israel Abanikanda in 2022. Transferred to UNLV. Team's top rusher in 2023 as UNLV made it to the Mountain West title game for the first time ever in school history. Draft prospect.

Ja'tarie Washington - Suffered severe knee injury senior season that made schools back off from him. Spent 2019 and 2020 out of football. Walked on at Syracuse in 2021. Left the team a few months later. Current status unclear.

James Meeks - Signed with FAU but did not academically qualifty. Played at Coffeyville CC in Kansas. Current status unclear.

Lexington Joseph - Signed with FIU. Backup RB in 2019. Injured in 2020. Part of RB rotation in 2021. Team's feature back & offensive weapon in 2022, also one of the country's best kickoff returners. Tore his ACL during fall camp & missed the entire 2023 season.

Jacquez Stuart - Signed with Toledo. Backup in 2019 and 2020. Part of RB rotation in 2021. One of the best backs in the MAC in 2022 and 2023, also doubling as one of the country's premier kick return threats.

Nigel White - Signed with FCS Illinois State. Redshirted 2019. In the rotation at RB in 2020, 2021 and 2022. Moved to DB, in the rotation at CB in 2023.

Jacob Baptiste - Played at NE Oklahoma A&M CC. Current status unclear.

Lavelton Williams - Signed with Morgan State. Unsure if he ever played there. Father literally passed away days ago in Fort Lauderdale, my condolences to his family.

Lavonski Williams - Signed with Arkansas-Pine Bluff. Redshirted 2019. Current status unclear.

Tyler Jones - Signed with DII Franklin Pierce University. Redshirted 2019. Current status unclear.

Willie Davis - Signed with Florida Tech. Unsure if he played 2019. Florida Tech folded their football program in 2020. Current status unclear.

Advertisement
Back