South Florida '19- The OLs

Advertisement
Half of that list should have an offer from us tomorrow. We need at least 3 tackles/bodies and hope 1-2 become starters with coaching.

We offering or landing any of these kids or are we rolling with an OL of walk ons?

Advertisement
Isn't the LG at STA 6'-7" or so?

LT is 6'8. I think Pope has the most upside of the Dade/Broward kids. He was skinny at 6'5 260lb as a junior. Got to 6'8 280lb as a senior.

pretty embarrassing that we're not going after Wardrick Wilson

Agree. I like Wilson at RT. He needs a year or two to play at the next level but I think he has it.

Advertisement
Strategy should have been to throw numbers at Oline recruiting followed up by 2 or 3 can’t miss guys like Neal. Just poor recruiting of the position. We aren’t hurting for scholarships, stop hoarding them and start offering kids to get this team balanced.

Great organization and planning by Richt and Stacy here.

Knocked it out of the park. My God, we’re the BBB right?

Advertisement
For anyone who knows OL positions:

Why the consistent knock on SoFL OL recruits?

Why are other areas of the country considered "better" with more quality candidates to choose from?

We needed OTs. Wilson has grade issues, Pope wants a country location, most of the others are OGs or bigger projects. I’m all for taking 4-6 OL every year and miami has hurt itself by not going after 1-2 projects from The State of Miami, not just SoFla.

From Manny's latest article. Behind a paywall. https://theathletic.com/692401/2018...-play-now-plus-other-recruiting-developments/

There are nearly 10 local offensive linemen headed to FBS programs between Miami-Dade and Broward Counties: Carol City four-star guard Wardrick Wilson (Florida), St. Thomas Aquinas three-star center Vincent Murphy (South Carolina), three-star tackle Jake Pope (Kentucky) and three-star guard Julian Hernandez (Vanderbilt), Northwestern three-star tackle Mark Fox (South Carolina), Cardinal Gibbons three-star guard Jamari Williams (Arizona), Columbus three-star guard Luis Cristobal (Georgia State), Norland three-star guard Josh Blanchard (USF) and Somerset Academy two-star tackle Vashon Bailey (Central Michigan).

Other local three-star uncommitted offensive line prospects include: Fort Lauderdale tackle Kaleb Boateng (6-4, 293), Champagnat tackle Michael Cartwright (6-5, 293) and Deerfield Beach tackle Robert Boyd (6-6, 300).

Some, like Boateng, are making it blatantly obviously they want Miami’s attention.

Advertisement
The one issue with the local crop this year is that it is heavy on interior OL, light on tackles. Our biggest needs are on the edge.

With that said, we need help everywhere.

For anyone who knows OL positions:

Why the consistent knock on SoFL OL recruits?

Why are other areas of the country considered "better" with more quality candidates to choose from?

Well we always had weight resctrictions at the youth level...so big kids who are usually OL dont play football until 9th grade.

Then we dont have good coaching on the ol locally at all. We have guys that played ol that want to coach wr's or guys that dont know anything about lineman coaching them up so they are usually behind the curve. U School, Miami Central, St Thomas Aquinas kids are well coached on the OL.

The weight restriction being lifted has helped a bit though so we have seen an uptick in quality.

Just an example..their are 5,000,000 skill position "coaches & trainers" down here, that do weekly camps etc...and you would be lucky to find 5 guys in the tri county that does this for OL.

**** sounds like a good business plan for me if i have the time.

Well we always had weight resctrictions at the youth level...so big kids who are usually OL dont play football until 9th grade.

Then we dont have good coaching on the ol locally at all. We have guys that played ol that want to coach wr's or guys that dont know anything about lineman coaching them up so they are usually behind the curve. U School, Miami Central, St Thomas Aquinas kids are well coached on the OL.

The weight restriction being lifted has helped a bit though so we have seen an uptick in quality.

Just an example..their are 5,000,000 skill position "coaches & trainers" down here, that do weekly camps etc...and you would be lucky to find 5 guys in the tri county that does this for OL.

**** sounds like a good business plan for me if i have the time.
I was a RB/S at PPO in the late 60's and early 70's and had a helluva time making the weight. Can't imagine what it was like nowadays for OL kids.

Are there no weight restrictions at all for optimist OL's?

I was a RB/S at PPO in the late 60's and early 70's and had a helluva time making the weight. Can't imagine what it was like nowadays for OL kids.

Are there no weight restrictions at all for optimist OL's?

I couldnt play till my 9th grade year. Though i worked out with Miramar Optomist. Kinda helped as i played basketball my whole life and had good feet because of it. But iw as raw as all ****.

I Think they lifted the weight limit on Lineman (heavies) in certain leagues. You saw that PPO/Lauderdale Hurricanes team from 2 years ago...they had some big kids. About 3-4 of them had UM offers as 9th graders and 1 is a current commit for us that was a big ol on that team

Advertisement
Back