South Florida '19- The OLs

View as article
I couldnt play till my 9th grade year. Though i worked out with Miramar Optomist. Kinda helped as i played basketball my whole life and had good feet because of it. But iw as raw as all ****.

I Think they lifted the weight limit on Lineman (heavies) in certain leagues. You saw that PPO/Lauderdale Hurricanes team from 2 years ago...they had some big kids. About 3-4 of them had UM offers as 9th graders and 1 is a current commit for us that was a big ol on that team
I always felt bad for the heavies that couldn't play because of the weight restrictions. They had to wait until at least middle school or high school.

I'm big boned and trying to make that 125 limit was **** even at 10-11 years old. We could go to 140 after game 3 so I had a strict diet until then! Many times my HC had me decked out in sweats sitting in a car with the heater on for an hour an hour before weigh in. After weigh in, I got to eat anything I wanted!

Advertisement
http://www.w.hudl.com/v/2AkF91

Fox needs some functional strength and coaching but if he were to be offered as a RT it wouldnt be bad. **** he is from a feeder school for us. One of he or Boateng should be offered as a developmental tackle...instead of the CJ Elomnus of the world

http://www.w.hudl.com/v/2AkF91

Fox needs some functional strength and coaching but if he were to be offered as a RT it wouldnt be bad. **** he is from a feeder school for us. One of he or Boateng should be offered as a developmental tackle...instead of the CJ Elomnus of the world

I’ve always liked Fox but he was a little slow when I saw him this fall. He may end up inside when it’s all said and done.

Advertisement
The one issue with the local crop this year is that it is heavy on interior OL, light on tackles. Our biggest needs are on the edge.

With that said, we need help everywhere.

I’d rather not reach on a crappy exterior lineman that won’t help either

I’ve always liked Fox but he was a little slow when I saw him this fall. He may end up inside when it’s all said and done.

yup he has slow feet from watching his sr tape. Thats my glaring assumption..fet kind of stop moving with contact. Cartwright is the same thing..he is stiff and so raw...Did alot of throwing of guys on his film. He is interested though as i spoke to him the other day but i dont think we have interest much.

Just watched ELMONUS film again and i liked it. He plays LT already and would likely just need a while to gain weight and strength. He had beeter feet and athleticism than (Fox, Cartwright). Not sure where we are going at OL this year though. Searles has what he looks for...my issue is he has a history of having stiffs at tackle.

I would put ALL my effort into getting a Grad Transfer or Juco OT..possibly 2 of them actually.

Last edited:
South Florida offensive linemen get better every year. It’s no coincidence that Miami’s local OL signees tend to outperform their out-of-state peers. I’m happy with Searels’s recruiting, but I’d love to add someone from this group to the mix. This might be the deepest OL group I can remember in terms of legit Power 5 prospects. And some of the lower-level FBS guys have the potential to blossom into NFL players.

* means verified

Dontae Lucas- 6’4, 333, 5.66* (IMG)- People mover who fits best in a gap scheme. Strong hands. Plays some tackle but projects as guard. Comparable to ’18 signee Cleveland Reed. Spent his sophomore year at Booker T and his junior year at Miami High. Committed to FSU.

Mark Fox- 6’4, 262, 5.44* (Northwestern)- Rock-solid prospect who can contribute at tackle or guard. Not an elite athlete but plays with balance, strength and positioning. Committed to South Carolina and skipped the camp circuit, which limited his hype. Qualified for states as a shot putter. Good player.

Wardrick Wilson- 6’5, 311* (Carol City)- Massive, top-heavy specimen with very long arms. Moved to the United States two years ago from the Bahamas. Raw. Average bend but can get to second level in run game. Transferred from Edison to Norland to Doral to Carol City, where he should face top competition. Committed to Florida.

Rivals Camp Highlights

Maurice Smith – 6’2, 276* (Central)- One of my favorite players in the class. Plays LT in high school but projects as a pure center. Dominated in camp circuit despite being smaller than most of his opponents. Athletic, balanced and aware. Boston College commit with all-conference potential.

Junior HL

Kaleb Boateng- 6’4, 290, 5.81* (Ft. Lauderdale)- Smart, athletic blocker with easy movement skills. Powerful hands to toss defenders. Natural bend. Needs to get stronger. 4.15 GPA. Really like his upside in a college weight program. Offers from Louisville, Pittsburgh and Purdue.

Junior HL

Jamari Williams- 6’3, 295, 5.13* (Cardinal Gibbons)- Bottom-heavy blocker who plays with a mean streak. Always looking for someone to hit. Loves to twist defenders to the ground a la Ereck Flowers. Stout. Gets off the ball quick. Plays guard and tackle but projects inside. Louisville commit.

Junior HL

Vincent Murphy- (St. Thomas)- Flexible center who wins with leverage and technique. Tenacious finisher. Locks up and keeps his feet pumping. South Carolina commitment.

Junior HL

Jake Pope- 6’6, 271, 5.66*(St. Thomas)- Tall, versatile lineman with major growth potential. Projects best at RT. Earned a bunch of offers in spring and has his best football ahead of him. Kentucky commit.

Junior HL

Joshua Blanchard- 6’4, 279, 5.80*(Norland)- Powerful G/T from an underrated NFL factory. Delivers a jolt on contact. Long arms. Good frame that can carry quality weight. Can get to the second level. USF commit.

Junior HL

Michael Cartwright- 6’5, 293* (Champagant)- Another raw talent from the Bahamas. Lanky, projectable frame. At the Opening, he looked dominant for one rep and then got whooped the next one. Still learning the game. Big upside if he figures it out. Committed to Indiana.

Junior HL

Julian Hernandez- 6’3, 295, 5.75* (St. Thomas)- Western transfer. Mobile blocker who projects as a center at next level. Flexible in stance. Pumps his feet and finishes blocks. Offers from Pittsburgh, Syracuse and Vanderbilt.

Junior HL

Ronald Folkes- 6’3, 272* (Dwyer)- One of the more athletic linemen in South Florida. Natural mover in space. Can pull and gets to the second level with ease. Needs to improve strength and conditioning. Also plays defense. Has offers from Western Kentucky, FIU, UNLV, Southern Miss and Western Michigan. Underrated with upside.

Junior HL

Vashon Bailey- 6’7, 286* (Somerset)- Intriguing small-school sleeper. Basketball player with tall, lanky frame. Also plays defensive end. Committed to Central Michigan, which has a history of developing tall, athletic NFL tackles (Joe Staley, Eric Fisher). Keep an eye on this one.

Junior HL

Robert Boyd- 6’6, 300 (Deerfield Beach)- Big, raw offensive tackle transfer from Dillard. Plays too high but has natural tools to improve pad level. Like Cartwright, he has high upside if he puts it together. Offers from Illinois and Temple.

Junior HL

DeShawn Richardson- 6’4, 290 (Pahokee)- Physical interior lineman with good, lean frame. Has the athleticism to chop block and the power to maul. Interest from Louisville.

Junior HL

Antonio Serrano- 6’2, 280 (St. Thomas)- Technical, strong player who originally came up in Belen’s Wing-T offense. Good base. Below-average athlete but can function in space.

Junior HL

Luis Cristobal- 6’2, 295 (Columbus)- Wide-body blocker with good strength. Plays tackle in high school but projects at guard. Average athleticism. Committed to Georgia State.

Junior HL

Jimmy Darr- 6’11, 400 (West Broward)- Enormous lineman with decent enough movement skills. Plays both sides of the ball for a smaller program. Has a future in professional wrestling if he does not pursue football.

Junior HL

Lucas - transferred from FSU?
Fox- hasn't played at USCe
Smith - hasn't played at FSU
Wilson- played prep ball in 2021
Boateng- transferred from Clemson to UF
Williams- transferred from Arizona to Middle TN
Murphy- played in 8 games this year at USCe
Pope- transferring from UK, hasn't played due to injuries

Has any of the 2019 class made an impact?

Advertisement
Lucas - transferred from FSU?
Fox- hasn't played at USCe
Smith - hasn't played at FSU
Wilson- played prep ball in 2021
Boateng- transferred from Clemson to UF
Williams- transferred from Arizona to Middle TN
Murphy- played in 8 games this year at USCe
Pope- transferring from UK, hasn't played due to injuries

Has any of the 2019 class made an impact?

Still a head scratcher that Clemson took Boateng. He transferred to UF as a walkon

Advertisement
Career reviews

Dontae Lucas - Spurned us for FSU. Starter in 2019 and 2020, ranged between serviceable & awful. Benched in 2021. Transferred to South Alabama. Starter at left guard in 2022. Starter at right guard in 2023. Recently entered portal again.

Mark Fox - Signed with South Carolina. Redshirted 2019. Opted out of 2020 due to COVID concerns. Current status unclear.

Wardrick Wilson - Signed with UF. Immigration issues led him to being unable to secure a student visa, and he was sent back to the Bahamas. Never played for the Gators, or any other college.

Maurice Smith - Signed with FSU. Redshirted 2019. Has been the Noles starter at center since 2020 & is one of the best in the conference. Announced that he is coming back for 2024.

Kaleb Boateng - Signed with Clemson. Redshirted 2019. Reserve in 2020. Transferred to UF as a walk-on. Reserve 2021. Left team in 2022. Tragically, Kaleb took his own life February 9th, 2023 at his apartment in Gainesville. Rest in peace, Kaleb. If you are struggling with suicidal thoughts & severe depression, please dial 988 for the National Suicide and Crisis Hotline.

Jamari Williams - Signed with Arizona. Redshirted 2019. Reserve 2020. Transferred to Middle Tennessee State. Backup 2021, 2022 and 2023.

Vincent Murphy - Signed with South Carolina. Redshirted 2019. Backup in 2020 and 2021. Transferred to Western Kentucky. Starter at center the last two seasons & one of the best in the conference. Draft prospect.

Jake Pope - Signed with Kentucky. Redshirted 2019. Reserve 2020. Out with injury in 2021. Transferred to FCS Illinois State. Starter at right tackle before suffering season ending injury in the 5th game of 2022. Started every game at RT in 2023, one of the best in the FCS.

Joshua Blanchard - Signed with USF. Redshirted 2019. Starter at right tackle in 2020 & made a start at LT against Notre Dame. Outh with injury in both 2021 and 2022. Transferred to Akron. Started every game at LT for the Zips this season.

Michael Cartwright - Signed with NC Central. Unsure if he played in 2019 or 2020. Transferred to Virginia State. Unsure if he played there. Current status unclear.

Julian Hernandez - Signed with Vandy. Redshirted 2019. Starter at left guard in 2020. Moved to center, starter in 2021, 2022 and 2023. Recently announced he is moving on from football.

Ronald Folkes - Signed with Georgia State. Redshirted 2019. Reserve in 2020, 2021, and 2022. Current status unclear.

Vashon Bailey - Signed with Central Michigan. Redshirted 2019. Since 2020, has been a utility offensive lineman that has played all over the Chippewa OL.

Robert Boyd - Signed with Alabama State. Redshirted 2019. Current status unclear.

DeShawn Richardson - Signed with FAU. Redshirted 2019. Backup 2020. Sixth man on the OL in 2021 and 2022. Unsure if he played football in 2023. Current status unclear.

Antonio Serrano - Walked on at FIU. Unsure if he ever played there. Current status unclear.

Luis Cristobal - Signed with Georgia State. Redshirted 2019. Backup in 2020 and 2021. Started a couple games in 2022. Transferred to Miami. Reserve in 2023.

Jimmy Darr - Can't find anything on him after high school.

Advertisement
Back