South Florida '19- The Linebackers

View as article

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator
Really deep group. Unlike past years, which were heavy on hybrid rushers, this class has a ton of off-ball linebackers who can cover. More than a dozen of these guys are Power 5 caliber, with three on their way to Miami.

* means verified numbers

Avery Huff- 6’2, 200 (St. Thomas)- Swiss army knife who can play man, roam at safety, read-and-react at LB and terrorize offenses as a pass rusher. Freak athlete. Played WR at MacArthur before transferring STA. Needs to gain weight but has enormous upside. Miami commit.

Senior midseason

Junior season

Ge’mon Eaford- 6’1, 217* (Deerfield Beach)- Absolute animal. Mostly an edge rusher but has played more off the ball as a senior. Stocky build with long arms and strong hands. Explosive off the snap. High motor. Took over the Buford game on the road. Oregon commit.

Senior midseason

Junior Season

Samuel Brooks, Jr.- 6’2, 194, 4.62* (sophomore testing) (Northwestern)- When healthy, he brings an elite combination of measurables and production. Steadily working his way back to full speed after injuring his knee as a junior. Edge rusher at high school level. As a sophomore, he was one of the top testers at the 2017 NIKE Camp (116 SPARQ, 36 inch VJ). Plays a little tall but changes of directions like a smaller player (4.20 shuttle). Makes a lot of tackles in backside pursuit. Productive as a senior and should continue to regain explosion. Miami commit.

Senior midseason
Junior Season

Jahmar Brown- 6’1, 192, 4.67*- (St. Thomas)- Efficient linebacker who always plays under the control. Moves low to the ground with good footwork. Sideline to sideline speed. Not a major thumper but a solid tackler. South Carolina commit.

Senior midseason
Junior season

Anthony Solomon- 6’0, 192, 4.80* (St. Thomas)- Intelligent, technically sound playmaker who always seems to be in the right place. Multiple scoop and scores as a senior. Excels in space (4.24 shuttle). Covers like a safety. Form tackler, but will he be strong enough to hold up at linebacker? Too smart to keep off the field. Miami commit.

Senior v. Deerfield
Junior season

Mikel Jones- 6’, 209, 4.94* (IMG)- Well-rounded, everydown player who has shown up against good competition. Transfer from Mater Academy. Can tackle and is comfortable in coverage. Often asked to play over the #2 receiver in IMG defense and he does well in space (4.25 shuttle). Has official visits lined up at Louisville, Syracuse and Purdue.

Senior midseason
Junior season

Darius Williams- 6’0, 227, 4.90*- (Norland)- Strong, physically imposing backer who can run. Impressive senior film. Plays high but stops runners in their tracks. Has some closing burst (32 VJ). Talented player who may be another Charlie Strong steal. USF commit.

Senior midseason
Junior season

Dorian Jones- 6, 219, 4.68* (American Heritage)- Tightly wound athlete who explodes through tackles. High energy and can run. Better in a straight line than changing directions. Transferred after the collapse of the Oxbridge program. Reminds me a bit of Daryl Sharpton. Also has special teams value. Indiana commit.

Senior midseason
Junior season

Leslie Smith- 5’10, 183* (Northwestern)- Miami High transfer. Smooth and athletic in his drops. Good footwork. Plays with excellent timing. Not as good but plays like Sean Spence in the same uniform. Pitt commit.

Senior midseason
Junior season

Tatum Bethune- 6’0, 215, 5.11* (Central)- Explosive player who uncoils on contact. High motor with sudden movements. Quick off snap. Has spent majority of his career as down lineman but has played more as off the ball as senior. UCF commit.

Senior v. St. John's
Junior season

Jeremiah Jean-Baptiste- 6’1, 221, 4.82* (South Dade)- Downhill thumper who can erase ballcarriers. Good footwork for a bigger guy. Does his best work in the box. UCF commit.

Senior midseason
Junior season

Travon Thomas- 6’2, 215 (Edison)- Transferred his senior year from Chicago. Plays down but many schools project him up as a linebacker. Physically strong and plays to the echo of the whistle. Extremely active. Offers from Florida State, USF, UCF, FAU. Solid upside.

Senior v. South Ft. Myers

Joe Smith- 6’, 190*- (Southridge)- Modern linebacker in the striker mold. May even project as a pure safety. Can play man and has ball skills. Keys Gate transfer. Solid tackler who can bend. Toledo commit.

Senior v. Booker T.
Junior HL

Yahweh Jeudy- 6'1, 200 (Cardinal Gibbons)- Smooth, long-armed backer with some growth potential. Three-down player. Needs to add more physicality and strength. Kansas State commit.

Junior season

LJ Smith- 5’10, 216, 5.00*- (Norland)- Pure linebacker who is fun to watch. A poor man’s Mike Pinckney. Plays with timing and instincts. Looks for the big hit. Average athlete but plays fast. Combines with Darius Williams to form one of the top linebacker groups in the county. UAB commit.

Senior midseason
Junior season

Eddie Williams- 6’, 195 (Palmetto)- Undersized linebacker who is always searching for the kill shot. Plays all over the field at the high school level, including DB. Has the makings of a special teams demon.

Senior midseason
Junior Season

Moezies Telfort- 6’, 193* (University)- Stiff but productive linebacker with straight-line speed. Room to grow. Competed well in the camp circuit. Georgia State commit.

Senior midseason

Kamryn Giles- 5’10, 195, 4.75* (American Heritage)- Box safety with the frame to grow into a linebacker. Fourth-highest SPARQ rating at the Miami Opening. (109.9). More of a straight-line player but has experience in coverage. Needs to improve tackling. Ran 110M and 300M hurdles as sophomore and has some explosion (35 Inch VJ). Low-level offers for now. The traits make it interesting.

Senior midseason
Junior season

Dan Foster, Jr.- 6’1, 224, 5.15* (Dwyer)- Big, physical ILB who plays with awareness. Has size and length. A bit sluggish if asked to run sideline to sideline. Reminds me of Robert Hicks (Louisville) in terms of his ability to go from LB to down DE. FCS offers for now but deserves an FBS look.

Senior midseason
Junior season

Advertisement
I've always liked Dorian Jones since he was at Oxbridge, kid is an absolute thumper.

He had 10TFL's his Soph year when they were moving him around & had 69tcks last year as a Junior.

He's a downhill Mike LB & can lay wood with the best of'em, I don't think he's a sideline to sideline LB, but he can hit.

Advertisement
Love my Trio, Avery Huff the Swiss Army Knife , Sam Brooks the physical freak and Anthony Solomon the technician. After our current LBs leave We’ll be good for the next 4 years.

We completely stop recruiting pure old school inside guys like Shaq?
I think the game has changed a bit as far as the inside linebacker. Starting to see smaller Mike linebackers in the NFL; it was a real **** shame we didn’t go after Robert Hicks who also does come in that Shaq mold

I've always liked Dorian Jones since he was at Oxbridge, kid is an absolute thumper.

He had 10TFL's his Soph year when they were moving him around & had 69tcks last year as a Junior.

He's a downhill Mike LB & can lay wood with the best of'em, I don't think he's a sideline to sideline LB, but he can hit.
I’m pretty sure he’s a cane legacy as well, Larry Jones’s son.

Advertisement
Love my Trio, Avery Huff the Swiss Army Knife , Sam Brooks the physical freak and Anthony Solomon the technician. After our current LBs leave We’ll be good for the next 4 years.
If Sam Brooks completely regains his explosion and I expect him to this trio will terrorize the ACC for the next 3-4 years after our current trio leaves.

What I love the most about Huff, Brooks and Solomon is that they seem to be the perfect fit for what Manny Diaz does on defense. Add these kids to Waynmon Steed, Jennings and Wilder(if he returns to 100%) and we have a deep and talented group. Add the young strikers like Finley and Smith and it's even better. Great future ahead!

I remember seeing Kamryn Giles at Monsignor Pace HS in Opa Locka as a sophomore. Thought he would grow more vertically but he was very quick and athletic back then with a 15.8--110m hurdles and over 20 feet in the long jump. To me personally, he has enough speed to be a safety at the collegiate level and size just barely 5-10 make him better fit as a safety. He has the tendency for a physical player to make too many ankle type tackles.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Eaford really sold on going to the west coast? Kid is a troll but he’s a **** good MLB. I love the 3 commits we have but none of them have the frame to hold up against power running teams.

I’d like to see him as our 4th. Not sold on jennings and Steed can’t stay healthy.

Advertisement
Really deep group. Unlike past years, which were heavy on hybrid rushers, this class has a ton of off-ball linebackers who can cover. More than a dozen of these guys are Power 5 caliber, with three on their way to Miami.

* means verified numbers

Avery Huff- 6’2, 200 (St. Thomas)- Swiss army knife who can play man, roam at safety, read-and-react at LB and terrorize offenses as a pass rusher. Freak athlete. Played WR at MacArthur before transferring STA. Needs to gain weight but has enormous upside. Miami commit.

Senior midseason

Junior season

Ge’mon Eaford- 6’1, 217* (Deerfield Beach)- Absolute animal. Mostly an edge rusher but has played more off the ball as a senior. Stocky build with long arms and strong hands. Explosive off the snap. High motor. Took over the Buford game on the road. Oregon commit.

Senior midseason

Junior Season

Samuel Brooks, Jr.- 6’2, 194, 4.62* (sophomore testing) (Northwestern)- When healthy, he brings an elite combination of measurables and production. Steadily working his way back to full speed after injuring his knee as a junior. Edge rusher at high school level. As a sophomore, he was one of the top testers at the 2017 NIKE Camp (116 SPARQ, 36 inch VJ). Plays a little tall but changes of directions like a smaller player (4.20 shuttle). Makes a lot of tackles in backside pursuit. Productive as a senior and should continue to regain explosion. Miami commit.

Senior midseason
Junior Season

Jahmar Brown- 6’1, 192, 4.67*- (St. Thomas)- Efficient linebacker who always plays under the control. Moves low to the ground with good footwork. Sideline to sideline speed. Not a major thumper but a solid tackler. South Carolina commit.

Senior midseason
Junior season

Anthony Solomon- 6’0, 192, 4.80* (St. Thomas)- Intelligent, technically sound playmaker who always seems to be in the right place. Multiple scoop and scores as a senior. Excels in space (4.24 shuttle). Covers like a safety. Form tackler, but will he be strong enough to hold up at linebacker? Too smart to keep off the field. Miami commit.

Senior v. Deerfield
Junior season

Mikel Jones- 6’, 209, 4.94* (IMG)- Well-rounded, everydown player who has shown up against good competition. Transfer from Mater Academy. Can tackle and is comfortable in coverage. Often asked to play over the #2 receiver in IMG defense and he does well in space (4.25 shuttle). Has official visits lined up at Louisville, Syracuse and Purdue.

Senior midseason
Junior season

Darius Williams- 6’0, 227, 4.90*- (Norland)- Strong, physically imposing backer who can run. Impressive senior film. Plays high but stops runners in their tracks. Has some closing burst (32 VJ). Talented player who may be another Charlie Strong steal. USF commit.

Senior midseason
Junior season

Dorian Jones- 6, 219, 4.68* (American Heritage)- Tightly wound athlete who explodes through tackles. High energy and can run. Better in a straight line than changing directions. Transferred after the collapse of the Oxbridge program. Reminds me a bit of Daryl Sharpton. Also has special teams value. Indiana commit.

Senior midseason
Junior season

Leslie Smith- 5’10, 183* (Northwestern)- Miami High transfer. Smooth and athletic in his drops. Good footwork. Plays with excellent timing. Not as good but plays like Sean Spence in the same uniform. Pitt commit.

Senior midseason
Junior season

Tatum Bethune- 6’0, 215, 5.11* (Central)- Explosive player who uncoils on contact. High motor with sudden movements. Quick off snap. Has spent majority of his career as down lineman but has played more as off the ball as senior. UCF commit.

Senior v. St. John's
Junior season

Jeremiah Jean-Baptiste- 6’1, 221, 4.82* (South Dade)- Downhill thumper who can erase ballcarriers. Good footwork for a bigger guy. Does his best work in the box. UCF commit.

Senior midseason
Junior season

Travon Thomas- 6’2, 215 (Edison)- Transferred his senior year from Chicago. Plays down but many schools project him up as a linebacker. Physically strong and plays to the echo of the whistle. Extremely active. Offers from Florida State, USF, UCF, FAU. Solid upside.

Senior v. South Ft. Myers

Joe Smith- 6’, 190*- (Southridge)- Modern linebacker in the striker mold. May even project as a pure safety. Can play man and has ball skills. Keys Gate transfer. Solid tackler who can bend. Toledo commit.

Senior v. Booker T.
Junior HL

Yahweh Jeudy- 6'1, 200 (Cardinal Gibbons)- Smooth, long-armed backer with some growth potential. Three-down player. Needs to add more physicality and strength. Kansas State commit.

Junior season

LJ Smith- 5’10, 216, 5.00*- (Norland)- Pure linebacker who is fun to watch. A poor man’s Mike Pinckney. Plays with timing and instincts. Looks for the big hit. Average athlete but plays fast. Combines with Darius Williams to form one of the top linebacker groups in the county. UAB commit.

Senior midseason
Junior season

Eddie Williams- 6’, 195 (Palmetto)- Undersized linebacker who is always searching for the kill shot. Plays all over the field at the high school level, including DB. Has the makings of a special teams demon.

Senior midseason
Junior Season

Moezies Telfort- 6’, 193* (University)- Stiff but productive linebacker with straight-line speed. Room to grow. Competed well in the camp circuit. Georgia State commit.

Senior midseason

Kamryn Giles- 5’10, 195, 4.75* (American Heritage)- Box safety with the frame to grow into a linebacker. Fourth-highest SPARQ rating at the Miami Opening. (109.9). More of a straight-line player but has experience in coverage. Needs to improve tackling. Ran 110M and 300M hurdles as sophomore and has some explosion (35 Inch VJ). Low-level offers for now. The traits make it interesting.

Senior midseason
Junior season

Dan Foster, Jr.- 6’1, 224, 5.15* (Dwyer)- Big, physical ILB who plays with awareness. Has size and length. A bit sluggish if asked to run sideline to sideline. Reminds me of Robert Hicks (Louisville) in terms of his ability to go from LB to down DE. FCS offers for now but deserves an FBS look.

Senior midseason
Junior season

D$:

Anthony Solomon reminds me of another LB who was a bit light coming out of high school, but was aggressive, had great football smarts, and nimble feet.

I think his name was Sean Spence.

D$:

Anthony Solomon reminds me of another LB who was a bit light coming out of high school, but was aggressive, had great football smarts, and nimble feet.

I think his name was Sean Spence.

I thought you were going to say Vilma...
Canes have had quite a few of those guys at LB over the years.

Who does Huff remind you guys of? He reminds me of someone but I just can't place it for some reason. This is going to bother me until I get it. Help!

If Sam Brooks completely regains his explosion and I expect him to this trio will terrorize the ACC for the next 3-4 years after our current trio leaves.

What I love the most about Huff, Brooks and Solomon is that they seem to be the perfect fit for what Manny Diaz does on defense. Add these kids to Waynmon Steed, Jennings and Wilder(if he returns to 100%) and we have a deep and talented group. Add the young strikers like Finley and Smith and it's even better. Great future ahead!
Finley will be a sr and smith a jr.. they aren't young.. but I just think OP is worried for nothing

Advertisement
Back