South Florida '19- The DTs

This class had numerous college contributors. Not sure why anyone thinks this class was weak.

Daxon still plays at Ohio. Didn't develop into much more than a G5 rotational player, but he's an All-Academic guy, too. I don't think the Ohio staff regrets taking him. Seems like a good guy/teammate from what little you read about him online.

Kancey, Dorlus, and Brown became solid or better starting players in the Power 5. Malcolm Ray is a nice rotational P5 guy, too. All will end up getting their degrees. I don't think a single coach regrets taking these guys.

Advertisement
This class had numerous college contributors. Not sure why anyone thinks this class was weak.

Daxon still plays at Ohio. Didn't develop into much more than a G5 rotational player, but he's an All-Academic guy, too. I don't think the Ohio staff regrets taking him. Seems like a good guy/teammate from what little you read about him online.

Kancey, Dorlus, and Brown became solid or better starting players in the Power 5. Malcolm Ray is a nice rotational P5 guy, too. All will end up getting their degrees. I don't think a single coach regrets taking these guys.
Add Mike Morris, who is projected as a Day 2 pick for Michigan.

TALENT EVALUATION!

A bunch of people on the board wanted Kancey and Dorlus.

We took Jalar Holley and a bunch of kids from NY instead.
Don’t know what the NY kids had to be put in there. If Blissett didn’t have multpile neck injuries we’re probably comparing Akeem to him and JHH has just as many sacks and tfls your boy Dorlus does and JHH did it in 8 games instead of a full season.

When people say “The South Florida 3 star is better than other places 5 stars” these are the types of guys they are talking about.

There are too many players of this caliber coming out of there every year for us to be complaining about talent. It’s crazy how every year there is a consensus of support for taking guys we end up passing on. You can never get them all, but this board generally knows who the ballers are.

We should recruit the most elite recruits, but we always mess up chasing prototype size or athleticism. Don’t make it too complicated . Take the guys that are productive football players, especially when you are always under the roster limit like we have been for a while now.

Advertisement
When people say “The South Florida 3 star is better than other places 5 stars” these are the types of guys they are talking about.

There are too many players of this caliber coming out of there every year for us to be complaining about talent. It’s crazy how every year there is a consensus of support for taking guys we end up passing on. You can never get them all, but this board generally knows who the ballers are.

We should recruit the most elite recruits, but we always mess up chasing prototype size or athleticism. Don’t make it too complicated . Take the guys that are productive football players, especially when you are always under the roster limit like we have been for a while now.
I view it as this: there are high floor guys, and high ceiling guys. Of course there is the rare blend of both (Taylor).

Recruit all of the high floor guys, and your team is instantly limited. Recruit all of the high ceiling guys, and you don’t get instant production, and success will be volatile.

You need the right blend of both on a roster. Too often, our evals in the past has been wasted on the wrong high ceiling guys at the expense of the good high floor guys.

While people joke about Zo’s role in the building, this is an area I hope/expect him to help with that will show benefits 2-3 years from now.

I view it as this: there are high floor guys, and high ceiling guys. Of course there is the rare blend of both (Taylor).

Recruit all of the high floor guys, and your team is instantly limited. Recruit all of the high ceiling guys, and you don’t get instant production, and success will be volatile.

You need the right blend of both on a roster. Too often, our evals in the past has been wasted on the wrong high ceiling guys at the expense of the good high floor guys.

While people joke about Zo’s role in the building, this is an area I hope/expect him to help with that will show benefits 2-3 years from now.

This is one of the best post I have seen on this.

Getting it right isn’t easy, but we can’t keep missing so many of these guys and constantly whine about a roster full of “jags”.

The counterpoint to your argument is Miami has taken tweezers that were successful in HS and they didn’t have a fit on the field. Gil, Keondra Smith, Roberts, Brantley etc.

The counterpoint to your argument is Miami has taken tweezers that were successful in HS and they didn’t have a fit on the field. Gil, Keondra Smith, Roberts, Brantley etc.

The problem with “tweeners” is they generally aren’t elite at any one thing.

I am talking more about guys that usually are really good athletes but undersized (Tutu Atwell) or less talented athletes that exhibit incredible skill/IQ/instincts (Jaquan Johnson). Manny’s defense found tweeners useful, but more traditional systems don’t have a spot for these guys.

Still, we have seen guys like Gil play well. I was disappointed we couldn’t find a role for him considering our issues. I would have much rather seen him spying quarterbacks on 3rd down than Flagg.

Advertisement
The problem with “tweeners” is they generally aren’t elite at any one thing.

I am talking more about guys that usually are really good athletes but undersized (Tutu Atwell) or less talented athletes that exhibit incredible skill/IQ/instincts (Jaquan Johnson). Manny’s defense found tweeners useful, but more traditional systems don’t have a spot for these guys.

Still, we have seen guys like Gil play well. I was disappointed we couldn’t find a role for him considering our issues. I would have much rather seen him spying quarterbacks on 3rd down than Flagg.

Good athletes that are undersized that don’t play WR are called tweeners. Johnson was a 5 star coming out and Tutu wasn’t a take because Miami signed 2 undersized WRs in Harley and JT. You can only have so many of those guy in a position group. They need height desperately at the position and tutu was projected as just a slot guy coming out.

Career reviews

Braylen Ingraham - Signed with Alabama. Redshirted 2019. Reserve 2020, 2021 and 2022. Transferred to Syracuse. Rotational DT in 2023.

Michael Morris - Signed with Michigan. Redshirted 2019. Reserve 2020. Rotational player in 2021. Started every game in 2022 & was one of the best defensive linemen in the country. Drafted by Seattle in the 5th round in 2023.

Denzel Daxon - Originally committed to Louisville, transcript issues forced him to sign with Ohio instead. Redshirted 2019. Reserve 2020. Rotational nose tackle in 2021 and 2022. Transferred to Illinois. Started every game at nose tackle & was one of the best in the country. Draft prospect.

Jason Munoz - Originally headed to Miami, however both sides mutually parted ways. Signed with Syracuse instead. Redshirted 2019. Reserve 2020. Entered portal. In 2021, played at some school called the University of Fort Lauderdale, an NCCAA, not NCAA, school. Current status unclear.

Brandon Dorlus - Signed with Oregon. One of the best defensive linemen in the country. Draft prospect.

Renato Brown - Signed with Louisville. Moved to offense. One of the best offensive linemen in the country. Draft prospect.

Calijah Kancey - Signed with Pitt. The best defensive tackle in college football. Drafted in the first round by Tampa Bay in 2023.

Malcom Ray - Signed with FSU. Redshirted 2019. Reserve 2020. Rotational DT in 2021, 2022 and 2023. Recently entered portal.

Jeramy Passmore - Signed with Indiana. Redshirted 2019. Rotational player in 2020. Transferred to FIU. Starter at DE in 2021, 2022 and 2023, pedestrian numbers.

Janil Brown - Attended Garden City CC in Kansas. Transferred to Alabama State. Rotational DT in 2022 and 2023.

TaQuan Kinsler - Was committed to Louisville at one point. I can't find anything on him after high school.

Career reviews

Braylen Ingraham - Signed with Alabama. Redshirted 2019. Reserve 2020, 2021 and 2022. Transferred to Syracuse. Rotational DT in 2023.

Michael Morris - Signed with Michigan. Redshirted 2019. Reserve 2020. Rotational player in 2021. Started every game in 2022 & was one of the best defensive linemen in the country. Drafted by Seattle in the 5th round in 2023.

Denzel Daxon - Originally committed to Louisville, transcript issues forced him to sign with Ohio instead. Redshirted 2019. Reserve 2020. Rotational nose tackle in 2021 and 2022. Transferred to Illinois. Started every game at nose tackle & was one of the best in the country. Draft prospect.

Jason Munoz - Originally headed to Miami, however both sides mutually parted ways. Signed with Syracuse instead. Redshirted 2019. Reserve 2020. Entered portal. In 2021, played at some school called the University of Fort Lauderdale, an NCCAA, not NCAA, school. Current status unclear.

Brandon Dorlus - Signed with Oregon. One of the best defensive linemen in the country. Draft prospect.

Renato Brown - Signed with Louisville. Moved to offense. One of the best offensive linemen in the country. Draft prospect.

Calijah Kancey - Signed with Pitt. The best defensive tackle in college football. Drafted in the first round by Tampa Bay in 2023.

Malcom Ray - Signed with FSU. Redshirted 2019. Reserve 2020. Rotational DT in 2021, 2022 and 2023. Recently entered portal.

Jeramy Passmore - Signed with Indiana. Redshirted 2019. Rotational player in 2020. Transferred to FIU. Starter at DE in 2021, 2022 and 2023, pedestrian numbers.

Janil Brown - Attended Garden City CC in Kansas. Transferred to Alabama State. Rotational DT in 2022 and 2023.

TaQuan Kinsler - Was committed to Louisville at one point. I can't find anything on him after high school.
Pitt is the outlier bc them boys turn 3 stars into a first rounders like a business. if theyre going after a kid, you better be on them

Advertisement
**** THIS DT LIST IS ******* PATHETIC THIS IS ALL THE TALENT AVAILABLE?
Awkward Jay Z GIF by Complex

Career reviews

@itsdolphhh @DMoney safe to say DT was by far the best position group from south Florida for class of 2019?

Advertisement
Its awesome to see that Daxon finally ended up being a dude.

Mike Morris, Brandon Dorlus, Kancey.

Renato Brown will be an NFL OL.

What a ******* class of players.

btw - Munoz had a health issue. Was it the heart? Think so.

Its awesome to see that Daxon finally ended up being a dude.

Mike Morris, Brandon Dorlus, Kancey.

Renato Brown will be an NFL OL.

What a ******* class of players.

btw - Munoz had a health issue. Was it the heart? Think so.
**** he never played football in the bahamas. So it took some time.

Glad he has a chance and actuallyw as really good nose this year.

This dt class played out really well.

I liked Daxon and Mike Morris off the list initially.

Other developed really well.

Advertisement
Back