South Florida '19- The DTs

View as article
Advertisement
Dorlus was my guy in this class. Loved his frame and athleticism. Kancey was better than I expected. Not surprised he was so productive in college, but I didn't see a first rounder physically. He developed big-time.
I was pounding the table for Dorlus back then when I was coaching him.

He popped offers from Florida, Clemson and Oregon...yet Manny wouldn't even take a sniff. Instead we took Jalar Holley.

I legit think there are posters on here who know more about the talent of our local kids than Manny's recruiting staff did.

He popped offers from Florida, Clemson and Oregon...yet Manny wouldn't even take a sniff. Instead we took Jalar Holley.

I legit think there are posters on here who know more about the talent of our local kids than Manny's recruiting staff did.
College Football Dancing GIF by ACC Network

Pitt is the outlier bc them boys turn 3 stars into a first rounders like a business. if theyre going after a kid, you better be on them
Their DL coach is a South Florida native who would jump at the opportunity to coach here but for whatever reason, never gets offered a job.

Advertisement

His evals were so horrible once the golden talent ran out he was finished he’s evals will always be his downfall

Illinois is another school that has quietly recruited
Career reviews

Braylen Ingraham - Signed with Alabama. Redshirted 2019. Reserve 2020, 2021 and 2022. Transferred to Syracuse. Rotational DT in 2023.

Michael Morris - Signed with Michigan. Redshirted 2019. Reserve 2020. Rotational player in 2021. Started every game in 2022 & was one of the best defensive linemen in the country. Drafted by Seattle in the 5th round in 2023.

Denzel Daxon - Originally committed to Louisville, transcript issues forced him to sign with Ohio instead. Redshirted 2019. Reserve 2020. Rotational nose tackle in 2021 and 2022. Transferred to Illinois. Started every game at nose tackle & was one of the best in the country. Draft prospect.

Jason Munoz - Originally headed to Miami, however both sides mutually parted ways. Signed with Syracuse instead. Redshirted 2019. Reserve 2020. Entered portal. In 2021, played at some school called the University of Fort Lauderdale, an NCCAA, not NCAA, school. Current status unclear.

Brandon Dorlus - Signed with Oregon. One of the best defensive linemen in the country. Draft prospect.

Renato Brown - Signed with Louisville. Moved to offense. One of the best offensive linemen in the country. Draft prospect.

Calijah Kancey - Signed with Pitt. The best defensive tackle in college football. Drafted in the first round by Tampa Bay in 2023.

Malcom Ray - Signed with FSU. Redshirted 2019. Reserve 2020. Rotational DT in 2021, 2022 and 2023. Recently entered portal.

Jeramy Passmore - Signed with Indiana. Redshirted 2019. Rotational player in 2020. Transferred to FIU. Starter at DE in 2021, 2022 and 2023, pedestrian numbers.

Janil Brown - Attended Garden City CC in Kansas. Transferred to Alabama State. Rotational DT in 2022 and 2023.

TaQuan Kinsler - Was committed to Louisville at one point. I can't find anything on him after high school.
The DL coach for Illinois either got lucky or he has a great eye for talent and is a great teacher because not only did he find Daxon but also Jerzhan Newton from clearwater who might be the 1st DT to go in the draft.

Advertisement
Illinois is another school that has quietly recruited

The DL coach for Illinois either got lucky or he has a great eye for talent and is a great teacher because not only did he find Daxon but also Jerzhan Newton from clearwater who might be the 1st DT to go in the draft.
Johnny Newton was recruited by Lovie Smith, but yeah Illinois has been hitting on Florida talent for a long time

I felt like Jess Simpson was a decent developer of talent..,. But this class shows how much his eye for talent was lacking. Like you said manny was clueless on LB and DT evals

I like our current DT commits & think Ingraham has star potential down the line, but imo I think we're making a mistake passing on Kancey, that kid has NFL caliber talent.

His size gets overstated as a knock, but PJ Hall just got drafted in the 2nd round to the Raiders out of Sam Houston St, he's only 6'1 310lbs. Genius Atkins is just 6'1 300lbs he's been a multiple time pro bowler, Grady Jarrett from Clemson is 6'0 305lbs he's the Falcons best DT, Michael Pierce for my Ravens is a great stout NT he's 6'0 339lbs, Sheldon Day from Notre Dame is 6'1 295lbs, years back during the Shannon era Ian Williams from the Orlando area went to Notre Dame was just 6'1 305lbs, Jurrell Casey from USC another pro bowler is 6'1 300+ & of course the best & highest paid interior lineman in the NFL is Aaron Donald from Pitt who's just 6'1 280-290lbs.

Kancey has natural speed & burst that you can't teach, plays with violent hands & is just an overall playmaker. Probably won't kill it in the under armor Olympics but he's a kid with development that will be an absolute disrupter on the interior line as a 3-tech.

Again, I like our haul as is & not saying who we got aren't enough, I'm just saying considering how much depth we'll need at DT in the future he's good enough to play at Miami.

:sideeyes:

Advertisement
What I’m seeing from the wrap ups is pay attention to who Michigan gets

Mario seems to be aware of this

Advertisement
Back