South Florida '19: the DBs

bacane

Junior
Curious to know how Christian Williams compares with those on S. Fl. list.

gabedm

Redshirt Freshman
Darius McClendon- 6’1, 168, 4.74* (Forest Hill)- Another long corner signed to Middle Tennessee St. Plays all over the field for small school. Speed is below average but has some burst (35 VJ).
Never thought I would see the day a Forest Hill football player would make it on a big-board on CIS, but as an alumni of that small school that never used to win ****, I must say I am pleased. Watched a lot of film on this team the past two years, he played both ways and was the starting QB. Rushed for a ton of yards and TDs... Cool kid.

gogeta4

All-ACC
Never thought I would see the day a Forest Hill football player would make it on a big-board on CIS, but as an alumni of that small school that never used to win ****, I must say I am pleased. Watched a lot of film on this team the past two years, he played both ways and was the starting QB. Rushed for a ton of yards and TDs... Cool kid.

History wise...forest hill has to be the worst football program in south florida?...am i right?

CANEMC

Sophomore
Asked to weigh in on adding CB Christian Williams on signing day, Baker said, “I know coach (Mike) Rumph had a relationship with him, we were in the market for a corner and he was a guy that checked all the boxes for what we were looking for. Coach Rumph did an outstanding job.

“He’s a perfect fit for us, and we were a perfect fit for him.”

Baker also said that while Williams will be at cornerback that he also could play safety.

“A guy with his size, speed and physicalness, he’ll definitely be a corner but in a pinch he could play safety,” Baker said.

Damiencane86

Freshman
Christian Williams probably saved Rumph's ass somewhat. I really hope that kid turns out to be good because, although I think Couch is a steal and will outperform his ranking, there were 4 ELITE CBs in Florida this year. Dent, Elam, Stevenson, and Jay. No shame in not pulling Jay...Madison is to FSU as Lakeland is to UF. But when the dust settles, FSU got 2 of those kids, UF got 1, and Miami got 0. Just can't have that type of recruiting and expect to win how we want to win here.

But Williams was a big pull. You simply cannot sit in South Florida and sign 2 DBs in a class. That can't happen. So getting Williams was absolutely necessary. Rumph has proven he can develop kids at that spot, so let's let him work with the 2 he got this year. But eventually we've got to start getting the best of the best in this state.
I think we'll start to see more of a tiered approach to db recruiting going forward. We'll still chase elite guys but have plenty of plan B & C kids being recruited at equal levels of priority with way more out of state targets to combat our low SoFla db success rate.

Number1CanesFan

Sophomore
Syracuse??? really???? Dino must have done one helluva sales job! who would want to live and play in Syracuse, NY... you move FROM Syracuse, not TO Syracuse... Not that Toledo is heaven on earth either.
You need to get over this BS about school location. It's not everything. The choice is about academics and fit in the program. As much as I like SF, other than distance from Mama's house, location is at the bottom of the list so get over it.

20EReedboii

Redshirt Freshman
The two unheralded guys I'll be watching closely are Adrian Cole (Syracuse) and Zay Flowers (Boston College). Like their upside.

Team-wise, Syracuse and Toledo did well down here.
Toledo and Syracuse always recruit hard down here. Pretty sure Syracuse was Don Chaney's first offer, and they got Nunn committed early. Toledo is always picking up 3 star skill guys from Tampa like Diontae Johnson two years ago and now with Kevin Beard there they've recruited guys like Jacquez Stuart and Joe Smith and Chris McDonald from south ridge. Not to mention they have Udonis Haslem's son on their team too.