South Florida '18- The Interior OL

View as article

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator
South Florida isn’t known for its interior linemen, but 2017 produced a bumper crop. Corey Gaynor (Miami), Tedarrell Slaton (Florida), Zack Sweeney (UCLA), Sebastien Dolcine (Kentucky), Kyron Taylor (Marshall), Robert Hawkins (FAU), Mershawn Miller and Willa Pierre (FIU) all signed with FBS schools.

This year, many of the top guards are either too small or too big. But it’s a great year for centers, and Coach Searels is getting the best guy by far.

*= verified measurables

CENTERS

Deloine Scaife- 6’3, 305 lbs. 5.33* (Southridge)- Very good athlete who plays LT but projects at center. Big-time finisher with a mean streak. Long arms for his height. Can steer and control defenders. Transferred to Southridge from Killian for his senior season.

[HUDL]video/3/5271496/57f73431ed57ef4d0c400fa7[/HUDL]

Jason Swann- 6’1.5, 281 lbs* (St. Thomas)- Well coached and technically sound. Good awareness. Can cleanly execute combo blocks. Plays guard but a better fit at center due to size. High-floor player.

[HUDL]video/3/4103915/57fdd744ed57ee4fe4eb062c[/HUDL]

Zack Zambrano- 6’3, 292* (American Heritage)- Another technician like Swann. One advantage Zambrano has is that he already plays center. Smart player with some strength. Father was an All-American at Miami Beach High. Early Maryland offer.

Junior yr Highlight - Zackary Zambrano highlights - Hudl

Robert Fatovic (Pine Crest)- 6’2.5, 256*- Plays all over both lines but I project him at center. Was one of the top two tackles at the Opening along with Scaife. Lacks mass but a solid athlete with technique.

Junior (2016) Season Highlights - Robert Fatovic highlights - Hudl

Terron Carey- (Northwestern)- 5’11, 256 lbs* – One of the top pound-for-pound linemen in South Florida. Carey’s size will limit his FBS opportunities, but he’s the heartbeat of an excellent Northwestern line. First team All-Dade. Great balance and leverage. Knows how to use his body and out-position bigger defenders.

#HeartOverHeight - Terron Carey highlights - Hudl

GUARDS

Jawuan Wilson (Champagnat)- 6’, 262 lbs, 5.82*- I was hoping Wilson would measure taller at the Opening but he’s a good player. First team All-Dade and second team All-State. Starts at left tackle but projects inside. High GPA and is already qualified. Might not be done growing- father is 6’6.

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/6624385/57edae86f61708539855ff5b

Jordon Earle (Forest Hill)- 6’2, 282 lbs- Undersized wrestler reminiscent of Marshall signee Kyron Taylor. Good athlete who can get low and uncoil with power. Marshall’s OL coach Alex Mirabal loves wrestlers and he has already offered.

Junior Season Highlight Film - Jordon Earle highlights - Hudl

Sebastian Sainterling (Chaminade)- 6’2, 356, 6.04*- One of the biggest wild cards in the class. Massive wide body with natural bend. Has played every position on the line, including center. Needs to drop a ton of weight. Chaminade is his third high school after transferring from Hallandale and St. Thomas Aquinas. Claims an early Kentucky offer.

http://www.hudl.com/video/3/4348006/586defddff0d1a1b98ea1a35

Jacob Kaplan (Western)- 6’, 288 lbs, 5.33*- Intense, nasty player who likes to bury people and tell them about it. Not athletic but strong. Works best in a phone booth. Helped pave the way for a surprising Western running game.

http://www.hudl.com/video/3/6181821/5823bf7e688ec490b8a860e9

Taurrian “Teedo” Stafford (Central)- 6’3, 326, 6.3*- Heavy lineman who plays center in high school but projects at guard. Has raw strength but needs to drop weight and improve balance. Athleticism is major concern (17 inch vertical). Comes from a program known for producing quality linemen.

www.hudl.com/video/3/7566371/5802e3580aff7a7da82a3bb5

Last edited:
Advertisement
Good write-up, D. Makes sense why coaches are pursuing guys out of the tri-county area.

Advertisement
Robbie Fatovic is my boy, I go to school with him and the kid is an absolute monster. I am a senior at Pine Crest so I think he will have to adjust to the competition to compete at the next level, but I was glad to hear he did well at the Opening. He is a monster in the weight room, for weightlifting I think he has like 315 Bench and 275 C&J. Do not think he is Miami caliber but great kid.

My son is a sophomore at Bishop McDevitt H.S. in Harrisburg, PA (same school that produced Ricky Watters, LeSean McCoy, and Noah Spence). He is 6'3", 290lbs, benches 345, squats 500, and deadlifts 430. He started every game last season at LG with less than 5 weeks of practice before the season started (I'm active duty Army and we moved to the area in July). He was a two-time FBU Top Gun selection in 7th and 8th grades. My wife and I graduated from The U, so he was born a Cane.

My son is a sophomore at Bishop McDevitt H.S. in Harrisburg, PA (same school that produced Ricky Watters, LeSean McCoy, and Noah Spence). He is 6'3", 290lbs, benches 345, squats 500, and deadlifts 430. He started every game last season at LG with less than 5 weeks of practice before the season started (I'm active duty Army and we moved to the area in July). He was a two-time FBU Top Gun selection in 7th and 8th grades. My wife and I graduated from The U, so he was born a Cane.

I live in central PA, Mcdevitt is a well known program. Good luck this year, and maybe attach some film so we can peep.

Last edited:
Advertisement

Thank you for your service sir!

Advertisement
Deloine Scaife- 6’3, 305 lbs. 5.33* (Southridge)- Very good athlete who plays LT but projects at center. Big-time finisher with a mean streak. Long arms for his height. Can steer and control defenders. Transferred to Southridge from Killian for his senior season.

Favorite recruit in this class.

Hey [MENTION=2]DMoney[/MENTION],

Quick question for you. I have fairly deep knowledge (if you look at my previous posts) of football and my strength is the run game, so the bulk of my expertise is OL and RBs. With that being said what do you look for in an OC in comparison to an OG. I was under the impression that the big difference is OG are mainly road graders (obviously pending offensive system) and OC are more athletic and higher football IQ guards.
Just wondering what's the different pull is from OC to OG. OT to OG is easy because it's mainly length and feet.

Hey @DMoney,

Quick question for you. I have fairly deep knowledge (if you look at my previous posts) of football and my strength is the run game, so the bulk of my expertise is OL and RBs. With that being said what do you look for in an OC in comparison to an OG. I was under the impression that the big difference is OG are mainly road graders (obviously pending offensive system) and OC are more athletic and higher football IQ guards.
Just wondering what's the different pull is from OC to OG. OT to OG is easy because it's mainly length and feet.

I'm just a fan and far from an OL expert, but I generally agree with the bolded. Most of our guys can play both. I like centers who are flexible and can really win with leverage against the big noses.

Advertisement
Hey @DMoney,

I'm just a fan and far from an OL expert, but I generally agree with the bolded. Most of our guys can play both. I like centers who are flexible and can really win with leverage against the big noses.

Alright thanks. Yeah, it's tough to find a true center who can take on a NT one on one, especially those who play in a 3-4. If you can find one of those OCs then he's going to the league.

Reviews

DJ Scaife - Signed with Miami. Immediately thrust into starting role due to recruiting busts on the OL. A tweener whose ideal position was probably center but alternated between guard & tackle due to the poor depth at those positions. All-conference player in 2021. NFL prospect.

Jason Swann - Signed with Tulane. Redshirted 2018. Played at ASA Miami in 2019 & 2020. Transferred to FCS Wofford. Played 1 game in 2021. Played 10 games in 2022, unsure if starter or backup.

Zack Zambrano - Signed with Princeton. Redshirted 2018. Played 8 games in 2019. The Ivy League canceled football in 2020. Started every game at center in 2021 & 2022.

Robert Fatovic - Signed with Cornell. Redshirted 2018. Started every game at left guard in 2019 & 2021, the Ivy League canceled football in 2020. Moved on from football after 2021.

Terron Carey - Signed with Idaho State. Redshirted 2018. Played 8 games in 2019. The Big Sky Conference canceled football in 2020. Started every game at center in the spring 2021, fall 2021 & 2022 seasons and was one of the best offensive linemen in the conference.

Jawuan Wilson - Signed with Elizabeth City State University, a DII school in North Carolina. Unsure if he ever played there. Current status unclear.

Jordon Earle - Signed with App State. Moved to defense. Redshirted 2018. Played in one game in 2019. Has been a starter at DT the last 3 seasons, earning an all-conference selection in 2021.

Sebastian Sainterling - Signed with USF. Redshirted 2018. Backup in 2019, 2020 & 2021. Unsure if he played in 2022.

Jacob Kaplan - Signed with Florida Tech. Redshirted 2018. Unsure if he played in 2019. Florida Tech folded their football team in 2020.

Taurrian Stafford - Signed with Alabama State. Redshirted 2018. Played in 10 games in 2019. Has been a starter at right guard the last 3 seasons.

Reviews

DJ Scaife - Signed with Miami. Immediately thrust into starting role due to recruiting busts on the OL. A tweener whose ideal position was probably center but alternated between guard & tackle due to the poor depth at those positions. Nonetheless, he is a 2x all-conference player. NFL prospect.
Which 2 times?

Advertisement
Back