South Florida '18- The DTs

View as article

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator
There are only so many great defensive tackles walking this Earth. It’s just rare to find someone with the combination of size, athletic ability and toughness necessary to play the position at a high level. With that caveat, Miami has done a good job of cherry-picking local DTs with those kind of traits. It was Moten in 2014, McIntosh in 2015 and Jon Ford in 2017. This year, Miami has already has a commit from the alpha of the region in Nesta Silvera. The rest of the group consists of upside guys. It is not uncommon to see DTs emerge as seniors so it’s worth tracking their progress.

Nesta Silvera- 6’2, 307, 5.36* (American Heritage)- Nose tackle who combines bully mentality with freakish strength. Blocked multiple kicks because of first step and motor. Needs to rein it in a bit off the field but you love his edge and confidence.

[HUDL]video/3/4211562/57e6944bbd75201524e37374[/HUDL]

Davontae McCrae- 6’3, 250, 5.25* (Northwestern)- Raw but naturally gifted Jackson transfer who is poised for a breakout year. Long arms and solid quickness (4.69 shuttle). Good finisher once he gets to the ballcarrier. Also plays left tackle.

[HUDL]video/3/6530969/581e5d59688ec4e4a42c9bd6[/HUDL]

Jason Mercier- 6’4, 236, 5.14* (Boynton Beach)- Rangy, productive athlete who plays inside and outside for Lamar Jackson’s old high school. Projects as either a big DE or a 3-technique depending on how he grows. High-motor player with the speed to chase plays down from weakside. Very good length. Already holds multiple ACC offers.

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/5333021/57df162abd752008cc59c62b

Jarrett Jackson- 6’5, 257* (Palm Beach Gardens)- Jumbo athlete who has been impressing in the off-season circuit as a TE. Highly athletic but more of a reactor than a disruptor on defense. Would like to see him play with more pop as a senior. High upside if he can put it together.

Mid Season - Jarrett Jackson highlights - Hudl

Desmond Pete- 6’2, 260 (Blanche Ely)- One of the more underrated players in the area. Always the first guy off the ball. Squatty frame with long arms. Disruptive. Missed some time as a junior and could generate buzz once he puts more tape together. This is the kind of player who goes to FAU and gives us fits.

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/8024803/580d5e7f688ec51b18091fa7

Aaron Morgan- 6’4, 240, 4.97* (Hallandale)- Another potential breakout candidate if he puts together a full season of tape. A bit upright but plays with a high motor and can run.

More to come ✊🏽💪🏾 - Aaron Morgan highlights - Hudl

Brian Bureau- 6’2, 310 (Atlantic)- Small-school All-State selection with very good strength. Like his old teammate Marquis Waters (now at Duke), Bureau transferred to Atlantic to prove he can hang with top competition. Marginal athlete but has some coordination.

RoadBlock.74 - Brian Bureau highlights - Hudl

Dejmi Dumervil- Jean- 6’5, 367, 6.28* (St. Thomas)- Massive widebody who projects as a Terrance Cody-type clogger. Cousin of Elvis Dumervil. Also plays OL.

http://www.hudl.com/video/3/4068689/580d158bbd75210db495fcbd

Advertisement
I'd keep an eye on Aaron Morgan. Unlikely for the Canes, but could turn out to be a player in college if someone teaches him how to lift weights, eat and drop his base at the snap. Raw athlete who looks like he can play 3T in a one-gap scheme.

I'd keep an eye on Aaron Morgan. Unlikely for the Canes, but could turn out to be a player in college if someone teaches him how to lift weights, eat and drop his base at the snap. Raw athlete who looks like he can play 3T in a one-gap scheme.
We agree, this was from back in Feb https://www.canesinsight.com/thread/2018-dt-aaron-morgan/117172?highlight=Aaron+Morgan
Nice. To be clear, think there are likely way too many variables for him to be a player we take a risk on. Doesn't mean he can't be a relatively interesting prospect who finds a spot in D1. A lot of the stuff he looks like he struggles with can be corrected. One thing he seems deficient in is lateral ability. Didn't see him move as well as I'd like for a 3T, which is different than what you would have seen in RJ Mcintosh's HS film.

Advertisement
I like Jackson. Think he makes a move up this year.

dy,
Have you watched Jackson live? If so, what were your impressions of him?

I've only seen him in camp settings and on his HUDL. He strikes me as a high-ceiling athlete but I can't figure out if his heart is in defense. The potential is clearly there.

Advertisement
I like Jackson. Think he makes a move up this year.

dy,
Have you watched Jackson live? If so, what were your impressions of him?

I've only seen him in camp settings and on his HUDL. He strikes me as a high-ceiling athlete but I can't figure out if his heart is in defense. The potential is clearly there.

Yes. Met him a few times, too. He's a young buck just getting his bearings. But he's got a frame on him, athleticism and does love football. He thinks a little too much, partly because he's not being coached to attack. And he also plays both ways, so there's a fatigue factor. He could use some focused coaching from someone who has taught linemen before.

Advertisement
i'm digging devonta mccrae's vid-looks like he could break out this year & be a gooden. may have to keep this 1 close.

Desmond Pete would be tough to block after a redshirt with that first step of his.

Advertisement
Reviews

Nesta Silvera - Miami held off Auburn and UF to get him to Coral Gables. In the rotation as a true freshman. Battled injury in 2019 but came back and played well. Starter in 2020 & 2021. Inconsistent; would look like Aaron Donald one play then disappear for stretches. Transferred to Arizona State. All-conference player in 2022. Draft prospect.

Davontae McCrae - Signed with NC State. Redshirted 2018. Played at East Mississippi CC in 2019. Transferred to North Texas. Part of the rotation in 2020. Did not play in 2021. Entered the portal. In June, was arrested after smashing into someone's home in a BMW SUV, fled the scene, then when the police finally caught them they found 3 guns, one of which was stolen by another occupant of the car. In September, was arrested along with 3 other men after staking out two men who purchased Rolexes in the Design District. The group allegedly rear ended them on Biscayne Boulevard, hopped out with pistols ****ed & relieved them of their watches. Currently facing numerous felony charges that could land him in prison until we have a human colony on Mars.

Jason Mercier - Signed with FIU. Starter as a freshman & played at an all-conference level. Regressed in 2019. Injured 2020. Starter again in 2021, pedestrian numbers. Transferred to Jackson State. In the rotation in 2022.

Jarrett Jackson - Signed with Louisville. In the rotation as a freshman. Entered the portal days before 2019 season opener. Transferred to FSU. Reserve in 2020. Backup in 2021 and 2022. Recently entered the portal again.

Desmond Pete - Looks like he played at Bethune-Cookman at one point? I can't find anything on him after high school beyond that.

Aaron Morgan - Signed with Marshall. I'm not sure if he ever played there. Apparently he's played at both Bakersfield College and Compton College in California and still has eligibility. How? I don't know. I would just give it up and join the Navy.

Brian Bureau - Can't find anything on him after high school.

Dejmi Dumervil-Jean - Signed with Louisville. In the rotation as a true freshman. Left the program in 2019, possibly due to weight issues. Did not play in 2020. Passed away suddenly in 2021. Rest in peace. 🙏🏿

Reviews

Nesta Silvera - Miami held off Auburn and UF to get him to Coral Gables. In the rotation as a true freshman. Battled injury in 2019 but came back and played well. Starter in 2020 & 2021. Inconsistent; would look like Aaron Donald one play then disappear for stretches. Transferred to Arizona State. All-conference player in 2022. Draft prospect.

Davontae McCrae - Signed with NC State. Redshirted 2018. Played at East Mississippi CC in 2019. Transferred to North Texas. Part of the rotation in 2020. Did not play in 2021. Entered the portal. In June, was arrested after smashing into someone's home in a BMW SUV, fled the scene, then when the police finally caught them they found 3 guns, one of which was stolen by another occupant of the car. In September, was arrested along with 3 other men after staking out two men who purchased Rolexes in the Design District. The group allegedly rear ended them on Biscayne Boulevard, hopped out with pistols ****ed & relieved them of their watches. Currently facing numerous felony charges that could land him in prison until we have a human colony on Mars.

Jason Mercier - Signed with FIU. Starter as a freshman & played at an all-conference level. Regressed in 2019. Injured 2020. Starter again in 2021, pedestrian numbers. Transferred to Jackson State. In the rotation in 2022.

Jarrett Jackson - Signed with Louisville. In the rotation as a freshman. Entered the portal days before 2019 season opener. Transferred to FSU. Reserve in 2020. Backup in 2021 and 2022. Recently entered the portal again.

Desmond Pete - Looks like he played at Bethune-Cookman at one point? I can't find anything on him after high school beyond that.

Aaron Morgan - Signed with Marshall. I'm not sure if he ever played there. Apparently he's played at both Bakersfield College and Compton College in California and still has eligibility. How? I don't know. I would just give it up and join the Navy.

Brian Bureau - Can't find anything on him after high school.

Dejmi Dumervil-Jean - Signed with Louisville. In the rotation as a true freshman. Left the program in 2019, possibly due to weight issues. Did not play in 2020. Passed away suddenly in 2021. Rest in peace. 🙏🏿
will ferrell snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

Advertisement
Back