South Dade coach gives insight on Washington, Francois, and Denis

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
Looking back at how the past 11 months have unfolded, Miami has arguably spent more time at South Dade High School than any other school during this cycle. The Buccaneers sported three prospects in their 2020 class with high Power 5 offers, and each of Keshawn Washington, Jaiden Francois, and Jonathan Denis have been committed to the Hurricanes at various points in the process.

Coach Rudy Trevino just finished his 3rd season coaching at South Dade, acting as the Bucs running backs coach and strength and conditioning coach at different times of his tenure. Although he will be taking a job to coach at Miami Killian next season, Trevino spent much of the past three years building a strong bond with Washington, Francois, and Denis; not only was he coaching them up on the field and in the weight room during the weekdays, but Trevino was also the one that helped shuttle the group around to camp events and recruiting visits on weekends.

As the Hurricanes go into the final official visit weekend before the early signing period hits, and with Washington and Francois on campus at UM this weekend, Trevino shared his takes on his players’ senior seasons, what they could bring to Miami, where the currently uncommitted Francois might be leaning, and more.

Listening to Trevino tell it, Miami safety commit Keshawn Washington was the engine that made South Dade’s defense go in 2019.

“Honestly, Keshawn was probably the most dynamic piece of our defense last year,” Trevino said. “He can play any DB position, any position in the box, any linebacker position. He can make open field tackles, he fills like a linebacker, he covers like a DB. With that range, he could do a lot. When it comes down to it, I think he was the most valuable piece of our defense.”

Washington broke out as a sophomore for the Bucs, earning offers from all around the country, including from Georgia, Auburn, FSU, Oregon, and Penn State. Although Washington’s star dimmed and his recruiting ranking took a hit after an injury-plagued junior year, Trevino felt that Washington was playing the best ball of his career by the end of his senior campaign.

“As a junior, he went through a slump, and everyone thought he was overrated,” Trevino said. “But they don’t understand, the kid had bilateral shoulder injuries since the spring, and it restricted him a little bit. But the kid went through proper therapy and training in the offseason and came back this year ready to go.

“He got better every game throughout the season. Honestly, by the time we played Western (in the playoffs), he probably was better than he’s ever been - covering-wise, understanding schemes, just being football smart, X’s and O’s. Physically, he’s always going to be dominant, he still lifts out the door. Bench presses 315, squats 400 pounds. The kid’s going to be a freaky monster by the time he leaves a college program.”

Washington has been pegged as a candidate to move down to the striker position at UM, but Trevino says he has a chance to stick at safety and that the early enrollee will make a quick impact either way in Coral Gables.

“Honestly, I think he’s going to be more of a safety,” Trevino said. “It all depends on how Miami wants to use him, but his covering skills are very underrated, he can run with anybody, any shape or size – it could be a tight end, a small receiver in the slot. So, he’s a real special kid, real special talent. I think Miami’s stealing one with him... I think he plays big minutes as a freshman.”

Speaking on safety Jaiden Francois, Trevino addressed the difference in how opposing offenses treated Francois in his senior season compared to Francois’ record-breaking junior year when he set the all-time mark for interceptions in a season in Dade County.

“Of course, compared to a 13 interception junior season, everybody’s going to tell you when you have 2 interceptions as a senior, that’s completely horrible,” Trevino said. “But I’m pretty sure if you ask any OC we played, they didn’t want to throw his way. He’s a kid that took away half the field and someone everyone respected.

“Jaiden Francois is one of the biggest ball-hawks in the county, maybe the nation, but he didn’t have too many balls thrown his way this year… He played mostly safety and nickel, but when he played corner, he took away everyone’s #1. He had a wonderful season coverage-wise, it’s just a lot of people didn’t take risks with him. It’s hard once you build a reputation, some coaches start to scheme to get you out of the picture, make you a non-factor.”

Recruiting-wise, most Canes fans are aware that Francois has twice decommitted from UM at this point. Even though the Miami staff has never let up with Francois, he is still heavily considering Nebraska and took an official visit to Lincoln last month. However, Trevino feels Francois’ heart is set on Miami and that he will be a Hurricane when it’s all said and done.

“I think when he signs next Wednesday, I think he’s going to Miami,” Trevino said. “I really do think he wants to be a Cane. I know he decommitted twice, but he thinks it’s the perfect environment, a lot of local kids around him. I don’t know if he’ll be wearing #2, #22, or #12 on defense, but Francois will definitely be a Cane in my eyes. He hasn’t shown me any reason not to believe that.”

Miami’s staff made it a point to get both Washington and Francois on campus for officials at the same time this weekend, and Trevino sees the relationship between the pair as another strong deciding factor in UM’s favor when it comes to landing a third commitment from Francois.

“They’re two peas in a pod,” Trevino said. “Growing up, they played at different parks in the same neighborhood, started out with different friend groups, but they’ve kind of found best friends in each other. They both went to South Dade as freshmen, getting the same offers every time coaches came through, coaches were always recruiting them both.

“They both committed to Miami together, they both decommitted together, then they committed back with each other. Honestly, I don’t think Jaiden’s going to leave his friend out to dry, I think he sticks with Miami. Keshawn plays a big factor, and they both play a big factor in each other’s games, they trust each other... I see them together, I see Washington and Francois playing at Miami next season, and me going to their signing day to cheer my boys on.”

While Washington and Francois are both taking their UM officials this weekend, the Canes were pushing offensive lineman Jonathan Denis the past few weeks to make it a South Dade trio in Coral Gables this weekend. As of Friday morning, Denis is not expected on campus this weekend, but Trevino gave his thoughts on what the current Oregon commit brings to the table anyway.

“3.7-3.8 GPA, scored 1100 on his SAT. The kid is awesome man,” Trevino said. “To be honest, he’s the best high school football player I’ve ever coached. I know it’s hard when you talk about linemen like that, but we rushed for 2,500 yards as a team this year, and he was opening up gaping holes. His down blocks were taking out everybody. I saw him take out a 5-star defensive tackle like he was a safety.

“This kid’s phenomenal – everything we do, he didn’t miss a day. He went and got his wisdom teeth pulled, couldn’t even drink water, and was still out there. Every coach in the county wishes they had a kid like that. That’s what you think of when you think of a football player. A Jon Denis, those kids come once a decade.”

Although Trevino admits he hasn’t spoken much with Denis about recruiting lately, he does say that he wouldn’t be surprised to see Denis consider UM again.

“I haven’t really spoken to him about what’s going on in the past few weeks. I have heard about cold feet with Oregon, so if for some reason he doesn’t sign early or if he takes another visit to Miami, I know Miami’s home for him for sure and they’ll make him think twice.”

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
How much projection is left with Washington size/weight wise? Could he grow into a nickel LB down the road?? I hate all the change their position posts but kid lifts well for someone his listed size and Lord knows we need LBs that can cover.

Either way would it be agreed on that his sr year helped his perception as a player?

Advertisement
How much projection is left with Washington size/weight wise? Could he grow into a nickel LB down the road?? I hate all the change their position posts but kid lifts well for someone his listed size and Lord knows we need LBs that can cover.

Either way would it be agreed on that his sr year helped his perception as a player?
If he is in the 190s as one poster said then he will have the ability to add 30 pounds in a reasonable period of time in our S&C. Striker at the very least.

Last edited:
Denis was considered a long shot a few weeks ago, maybe the staff has been massaging his ego since we’re ****ting the bed with ol recruiting.

It always felt like he was treated as a cane lock and the staff kinda took him for granted , and he got butthurt.

Or I could just be pulling a Paranos and looking into into it way more than I should.

Advertisement
Back