Sooner-like Canes?

I’d say the defense stays more engaged if the offense gives them a chance to win the game. Does DJ Ivey completely whiff on the fake punt if he wasn’t on the field all day in a game that should be put away?

the only step back in defense may be in stats. That’s just because the second string may actually be put in for a fourth quarter
The mental fatigue is something that doesn’t get brought up here enough but it’s valid. If you’re playing defense and you know your offense is garbage how long before you eventually throw in the towel? It might not even be a conscious decision. Frustration can effect your mental focus and attitude. I never felt so bad as I did for the defense in the bowl loss last year. They gave up seven points and they knew the game was lost. I mean eventually, even the most positive guys start to lose hope when your offense craps the bed every single possession

Advertisement
The mental fatigue is something that doesn’t get brought up here enough but it’s valid. If you’re playing defense and you know your offense is garbage how long before you eventually throw in the towel? It might not even be a conscious decision. Frustration can effect your mental focus and attitude. I never felt so bad as I did for the defense in the bowl loss last year. They gave up seven points and they knew the game was lost. I mean eventually, even the most positive guys start to lose hope when your offense craps the bed every single possession
Not only was there fatigue due to the offense not scoring TDs but also fatigue due to the Kickers not doing their jobs either.

So many opportunities wasted.

Our dtackle play will be critical. If we have to keep putting defensive ends at 3 tech we won’t reach the full potential of this defense.
We can’t expect to recover a first round pick no matter how good the guys we have are. Rousseaus don’t grow on trees man. So while we may have nfl talent at the position, replacing a guy like that is unlikely. But above average tackle play will make those guys job a lot easier.

This is another reason why Rousseau is such a freak. He got 15 sacks without having a dominant 3 tech. Garvin and Jackson played well but they had Rj, and Gwill next to them. if we have dtackle play on par or better than rj or gwill then the rest of defense will eat.
Our safety play should at least be above average With bubba and hall

When a team with a strong defense finally gets a great offense, it does put thar defense out on the field more.

With Lashlee here, I personally expect/predict mostly very positive defensive things, such as:

More Wins
More sacks
More tackles for loss
More players with eye-opening #of tackles
Etc

But until we have MUCH more depth, and are continuingly able to recruit at the current and higher level, I'm expecting to also give up:

More yardage
More points.

I, for one, don't mind the trade-off of getting a strong offense even if it gets our defense tired and yield logical bad jumps in points allowed and yardage surrendered.

Attacking offense
Attacking defense
Have more points in games

Would most here like seeing an Oklahoma Sooner style (shootout prone) season in 2020?
I disagree with your analysis. I don't expect opposing teams to score more against our defense. I actually expect them to score less.

Our defense has been on the field a lot the past 2 years because our offense was terrible. Whether you put the ball in the endzone in 7 plays or punt after 7 plays is no difference to the defense except their morale.

The reason I expect less points from opposing offenses is that I believe our defense will be better than last year. Definitely better in the secondary with all likely starters having experience under their belt. I believe that playing will a lead provides better morale to the team where the defense won't be frustrated like years past.

I disagree with your analysis. I don't expect opposing teams to score more against our defense. I actually expect them to score less.

Our defense has been on the field a lot the past 2 years because our offense was terrible. Whether you put the ball in the endzone in 7 plays or punt after 7 plays is no difference to the defense except their morale.

The reason I expect less points from opposing offenses is that I believe our defense will be better than last year. Definitely better in the secondary with all likely starters having experience under their belt. I believe that playing will a lead provides better morale to the team where the defense won't be frustrated like years past.
I agree with your assessment with one minor caveat. Look at the Louisville game last year. Would our defense have let them score 27 points if the game wasn't completely over by halftime? If we let opposing teams score more, it will be because the game is already over.

Advertisement
So you're telling me that, in the event we continue to run a similar amount of plays per game and possess the ball a similar amount of time, but score MORE POINTS, that you're concerned? You do realize how little sense that makes, yes?

Wow... nice answer, but you totally missed my point.

I will so enjoy having an offense that scores quickly. And I hope we beat teams like Clemson 50-10.

And a quick scoring offense with a great d-line portends great results.

I've simply noted that IF we WIN more, I personally don't care if that means the other team is scoring more too! Oklahoma, I suspect, has quality defensive players and coaches. More importantly, its been in the 4team championship more than than most teams not named Clemson and Alabama.

Even giving up more points (I hope we shut everyone out), we'll likely get even more sacks, get even more tackles for loss--- and be a feared winning team.

But one perfect example I think of, since I'm a too old Miami native, is the 1983 Dolphins. (For those unfamiliar, that's a "professional" football team coached, at that time by a still youngish, legendary, defensive minded coach- Don Shula. Howard Schnellenberger had previously been his offensive coordinator at the Dolphins.

The 1982 Dolphins had a great defense, but a poor offense. That Defense was good enough to help that team get to that year's strike shortened Superbowl.

They picked a QB in the draft.

After ~4+ games in 1983, the (Killer B) defense was superb, but the offense was horrible and the Dolphins were, overall, not good.

That wholly competent coach brought in that rookie quarterback in game 5, and proceeded to have a long, record setting career: Dan Marino.

But, the stout defense Dolphins quickly starting playing in 35-28 games. But winning! Made it back to the Superbowl in 1984, with a great offense and what appeared to be a mediocre defense.

For years and years, this Legendary hall of fame, defensive minded coach- and legendary hall of fame quarterback won games. One of the two most winningest programs in the NFL for those years.

I know Shula didn't become stupid defensively overnight. So I gladly took the MUCH more exciting games, winning more, and crappy team scoring defense stats over that what weve had now for years at the U.

The Dolphins result is meaningless to what WILL happen at UM. But, I am prepared to have the same U defense, and WAYYYYY better U offense, even if we give up more points and yardage per game.

We'll see. Hopefully I'm dead wrong about scoring defense, and we'll annihilate everyone. But if WE WIN, and play attacking offense and defense--- but some defensive numbers look bad (as i'm allowed to suspect), ***** the numbers. Just give me the WINS!

I agree with your assessment with one minor caveat. Look at the Louisville game last year. Would our defense have let them score 27 points if the game wasn't completely over by halftime? If we let opposing teams score more, it will be because the game is already over.
You have some truth to that. I hope we get back to the old days where we have a big lead and the subs come in. The starters tell the subs, you better not let them score.

It will be interesting to see if the defense sets a standard of keeping the points low or if they're just happy with winning.

I think OP comparing us to Oklahoma is a mistake.

First, we need to show we can light up the scoreboard.

Secondly, I just don't think their defense is that good. It hasn't been a top defense in a very long time.

Some people just love to focus on the negatives of an up tempo, quick strike offense.

Let's focus on the positives. There have been sooooooo many times over the last few years where our Defense would force a turnover and the offense would crap the bed and not score off the turnovers.

If we would have done a better job of making teams pay we could have won many more games or at least been much more competitive in games we should have looked better in.

With a high powered redzone efficient offense and a QB who knows how to get into the endzone there is very little down side to it.

Advertisement
I have been just reading things on here and following Cribby and others but I felt the need to post my first thing after reading this thread...

if we are up 21-0 in the first quarter we will all crap ourselves.

thanks for all the info you guys provide.

Miami has consistently been among the worst teams in the entire country in plays run and time of possession since Diaz arrived.

So you're telling me that, in the event we continue to run a similar amount of plays per game and possess the ball a similar amount of time, but score MORE POINTS, that you're concerned? You do realize how little sense that makes, yes?

Last year, Miami ranked 91st in the country in total plays run, and 62nd in the country in time of possession. Enos paired those 2 numbers with being the 89th best team in yards per play, and 99th in points per game. And the defense was generally very good. You're telling me we're going to score more and gain more yards, but the defense will struggle because of that? We're top 5 in sacks every single season and almost always play in neutral game scripts because the offense can't get out of their god**** way. Now we're going to have leads in games, which promotes more ability to play pure pass rush, and we're gonna struggle??

No offense, but this is a dreadful thread. Oklahoma sucks on defense because they barely coach it and their league barely recognizes it. It has zero bearing on Miami in any way.
And the most telling--129th place out of 130 on 3rd down conversions.

I think the more points scored, the more points scored on you argument (because defense is tired) is a bit overblown.

OK has more depth … than every other team in the Big-12 save Texas. Texas and Iowa State played them close in 2019, KSU beat them - every other game, aside from LSU, OK gave up 31 or fewer points. OK’s problem is that their defenses were just not as good - and Big 12 offenses tend to be competent.

The ACC is a different story; horrible offenses everywhere. Miami, without “depth” has had one of the top defenses in the ACC, routinely besting ACC offenses in the last 5 years. Miami lost to FIU. Miami lost to a VT (and the vaunted UNC/Howell offense scary Miami “fans” are so worried about) by spotting them ridiculous leads. GT? Same thing. And Miami’s defense stayed on the field due to 3-and-outs and turnovers.

I see it differently.

When Miami is playing with a lead the other team is forced to throw. It’s not the kids fault at That point, it’s Baker calling 4 and 17 defenses.
I agree and disagree. Would love to say more but would probably gets banded for something. Especially with you. So, more point for - good thing. More points against - bad thing. Boring but safe. Stay safe

Advertisement
You cannot possibly hurt your defense more than throwing 3 consecutive INTs in the opponents red zone. Combine that with one of the worst punters in school history in 2018, and never ending 3 and outs. Our defense has had more going against it the last 2 years than any Canes team I can remember.

And the most telling--129th place out of 130 on 3rd down conversions.

Let's be sure we get this correct. Because it was so bad, so inept, so embarrassing, that we must make certain we etch it in stone and vow never to repeat it again....

Against FBS schools, the 2019 Miami Hurricanes were the 2nd worst 3rd down offense of ANY TEAM over the past FOUR seasons.

2016, 2017, 2018, and 2019. Take every single school combined for those 4 years. The 2019 Miami Hurricanes were the 2nd worst team on 3rd down out of ALL teams for the last 4 years.

It's hard to really describe how embarrassing that is.

Our D will take a step back in stats, that's a given. They will also, more than likely, cause more chaos, which will lead to more points for us.

It comes down to this. Would you rather win a game 45-21, or 20-10? There is more room to take risks on D when your O is scoring. There is also less chance of a missed FG or blown punt coverage costing you a game. There is also little chance of falling behind 28-0 if your O is good.

Basically, we win **** near every game last year if our O was good. Not great, but simply good.
It doesn't matter. But if you're playing the first 3 quarters at 10-10 (or behind), it begins to wear on you mentally. Whoever's mentally tougher tends to win the forth quarter.

We haven't been in many games where we've played most of the first half up by more than a touch down.

Advertisement
Miami has consistently been among the worst teams in the entire country in plays run and time of possession since Diaz arrived.

Last year, Miami ranked 91st in the country in total plays run, and 62nd in the country in time of possession. Enos paired those 2 numbers with being the 89th best team in yards per play, and 99th in points per game. And the defense was generally very good. You're telling me we're going to score more and gain more yards, but the defense will struggle because of that? We're top 5 in sacks every single season and almost always play in neutral game scripts because the offense can't get out of their god**** way. Now we're going to have leads in games, which promotes more ability to play pure pass rush, and we're gonna struggle??

No offense, but this is a dreadful thread. Oklahoma sucks on defense because they barely coach it and their league barely recognizes it. It has zero bearing on Miami in any way.
Preach! I don’t wanna hear a **** thing about our defense being more tired. This offense can unlock the strength of our D to new heights. Imagine what our DE’s will do when teams have no choice but to pass the ball because we have 2-3 td lead. It’s Va Tech And ND 2017. Party in the Rock!

This defense is gonna eat putting teams in obvious passing situations. When were up 21 our monsters at DE are just gonna be able to pin their ears back.

It doesn't matter. But if you're playing the first 3 quarters at 10-10 (or behind), it begins to wear on you mentally. Whoever's mentally tougher tends to win the forth quarter.

We haven't been in many games where we've played most of the first half up by more than a touch down.
Our problem, one of them, is we were too mentally weak to avoid close calls to bad teams. Losing to FIU late has to make one question their manhood, that's for sure. Now, do we fix that, or double down on dance party mode?

Advertisement
Back