Sooner-like Canes?

lurk

Recruit
When a team with a strong defense finally gets a great offense, it does put thar defense out on the field more.

With Lashlee here, I personally expect/predict mostly very positive defensive things, such as:

More Wins
More sacks
More tackles for loss
More players with eye-opening #of tackles
Etc

But until we have MUCH more depth, and are continuingly able to recruit at the current and higher level, I'm expecting to also give up:

More yardage
More points.

I, for one, don't mind the trade-off of getting a strong offense even if it gets our defense tired and yield logical bad jumps in points allowed and yardage surrendered.

Attacking offense
Attacking defense
Have more points in games

Would most here like seeing an Oklahoma Sooner style (shootout prone) season in 2020?

Advertisement
I think the more points scored, the more points scored on you argument (because defense is tired) is a bit overblown.

OK has more depth … than every other team in the Big-12 save Texas. Texas and Iowa State played them close in 2019, KSU beat them - every other game, aside from LSU, OK gave up 31 or fewer points. OK’s problem is that their defenses were just not as good - and Big 12 offenses tend to be competent.

The ACC is a different story; horrible offenses everywhere. Miami, without “depth” has had one of the top defenses in the ACC, routinely besting ACC offenses in the last 5 years. Miami lost to FIU. Miami lost to a VT (and the vaunted UNC/Howell offense scary Miami “fans” are so worried about) by spotting them ridiculous leads. GT? Same thing. And Miami’s defense stayed on the field due to 3-and-outs and turnovers.

I see it differently.

When Miami is playing with a lead the other team is forced to throw. It’s not the kids fault at That point, it’s Baker calling 4 and 17 defenses.

@clarkyboy_21 sort of brought this topic up but made reference to the D having to get after it in practice so they should be in better shape. I for one, look forward to seeing how this plays out. I am praying the O scores points because games were dreadful at times last year and if that means the D can attack more, perfect. I am interested to watch this play out.

Advertisement
Miami has consistently been among the worst teams in the entire country in plays run and time of possession since Diaz arrived.

So you're telling me that, in the event we continue to run a similar amount of plays per game and possess the ball a similar amount of time, but score MORE POINTS, that you're concerned? You do realize how little sense that makes, yes?

Last year, Miami ranked 91st in the country in total plays run, and 62nd in the country in time of possession. Enos paired those 2 numbers with being the 89th best team in yards per play, and 99th in points per game. And the defense was generally very good. You're telling me we're going to score more and gain more yards, but the defense will struggle because of that? We're top 5 in sacks every single season and almost always play in neutral game scripts because the offense can't get out of their god**** way. Now we're going to have leads in games, which promotes more ability to play pure pass rush, and we're gonna struggle??

No offense, but this is a dreadful thread. Oklahoma sucks on defense because they barely coach it and their league barely recognizes it. It has zero bearing on Miami in any way.

I don’t think it’s an issue of the defense being on the field longer and getting tired, it’s that the more offensive possessions you have, the more defensive possessions you have also. Even if your defense is still really good, you’re giving the opponent more opportunities to move the ball and score points. We need to get away from archaic defensive metrics like total defense and scoring defense and focus more on things like yards per play and points per possession.

Our offense might have been last in the ACC in total plays run. That means the defense was on the field constantly
2nd to last. GT was dead last in the country.

Also, coincidentally, Alabama was right next to us in plays run. We were tied for 91st, they were 93rd. They ran 2 less plays than we did, both of us playing 13 games.

The difference? They gained a FULL 2 yards more per play than we did, (2.2 to be exact), averaged 150 more yards per game, and averaged 45.7 PPG to our 22.6.

Anybody on the Bama boards noting that their defense might struggle? They still finished in the Top 15 in yards per play allowed and scoring defense.

So yeah, I'll trade the Miami offense for the Alabama offense and take my chances the defense struggles because we score too much and too fast.

Advertisement
Our D will take a step back in stats, that's a given. They will also, more than likely, cause more chaos, which will lead to more points for us.

It comes down to this. Would you rather win a game 45-21, or 20-10? There is more room to take risks on D when your O is scoring. There is also less chance of a missed FG or blown punt coverage costing you a game. There is also little chance of falling behind 28-0 if your O is good.

Basically, we win **** near every game last year if our O was good. Not great, but simply good.

Last year Miami possessed the ball 68 seconds more per game than SMU, which for Miami '19 equated to 2.17 plays per game.
SMU ran 15 more plays a game than Miami.... and that was with a terrible defense.

15 more plays on O at a cost of 2 more plays on D?
I'll take it.

Last year Miami possessed the ball 68 seconds more per game than SMU, which for Miami '19 equated to 2.17 plays per game.
SMU ran 15 more plays a game than Miami.... and that was with a terrible defense.

I'll take it.
Also, moving the chains keeps your D off the field. We'll be just fine.

Advertisement
When the defense goes out knowing they have to be exceptional cause the offense sucks is a ton of pressure. Now give them a lead and some rest because we’re not going 3 and out every time and they may be able to play more free and loose.

But also look at LSU. Same talent. Same coordinator. Lockdown corners and pass rushers and speedy backers but they took a step back. Why? I don’t know. But when it counted towards the end of the season they shut down tamu and Georgia and OK. Two decent offenses and one great one. Then played Clemson and pretty much bodied them save for a couple plays.

When a team with a strong defense finally gets a great offense, it does put thar defense out on the field more.

With Lashlee here, I personally expect/predict mostly very positive defensive things, such as:

More Wins
More sacks
More tackles for loss
More players with eye-opening #of tackles
Etc

But until we have MUCH more depth, and are continuingly able to recruit at the current and higher level, I'm expecting to also give up:

More yardage
More points.

I, for one, don't mind the trade-off of getting a strong offense even if it gets our defense tired and yield logical bad jumps in points allowed and yardage surrendered.

Attacking offense
Attacking defense
Have more points in games

Would most here like seeing an Oklahoma Sooner style (shootout prone) season in 2020?
Running a bunch of three-and-outs gets your defense on the field even faster—which Miami knows all too well.

It's not about a "great offense"—it's one that scores super-fast, which Oklahoma does (and then doesn't play a lick of defense.)

Let Miami find it's footing under Lashlee and let King take his first snap before we go worrying about Miami being such a scoring machine its defense doesn't know what to do with itself.

I'll take it.

Nice stat

Advertisement
It's not like our vaunted 3 and out offense the last 2 years was giving our guys a rest. At the very least, although yet to be seen, we will string together drives of more than, you guessed it, 3plays or maybe just maybe we put points on the board. Scoring points is good. 3 and out is bad.

Go Canes!

I’d say the defense stays more engaged if the offense gives them a chance to win the game. Does DJ Ivey completely whiff on the fake punt if he wasn’t on the field all day in a game that should be put away?

the only step back in defense may be in stats. That’s just because the second string may actually be put in for a fourth quarter

The biggest impact will be playing with a lead. Getting up by two or more scores completely changes what you do on defense. We might set a new sack record if our guys are allowed to pin their ears back early in games. We have had so many one possession games over the last 4 years, we’ve rarely gotten to see our guys let loose against better teams. In close games, you still have to focus on playing the run. If you get the other guy behind the 8 ball, he’s going to have to throw the ball more to get back into the game. More passing attempts = more opportunities to rush the passer and more opportunities to get interceptions.

Advertisement
Back