Something's Got to Give

mianjomar

Junior
Just trying to get this out in the open for discussion as my guess is that a lot of guys like me are thinking about this.

Current Roster

Safeties
R. Finley S
Jeff James. S
A. Carter. F
D. Smith. F
J. Johnson. J
S. Redwine. J
R. Knowles. S

Cornerbacks
T. Henley. J
R. Mayes. J
M. Jackson J
M. Young S
J. Dean. J ?
T. Bandy. F

Didn't count the transfer as he will be one and gone.
Don't see anyone leaving early for the league.

Class of 17

Ivey
Burns
Jobe
Russel
Frierson
Hall
Blades ?
T. Campbell?

How do you give these super stars enoug burn to keep them happy?
Is Bandy, Young and Carter good enough to hold off these guys.

Advertisement
Just trying to get this out in the open for discussion as my guess is that a lot of guys like me are thinking about this.

Current Roster

Safeties
R. Finley S
Jeff James. S
A. Carter. F
D. Smith. F
J. Johnson. J
S. Redwine. J
R. Knowles. S

Cornerbacks
T. Henley. J
R. Mayes. J
M. Jackson J
M. Young S
J. Dean. J ?
T. Bandy. F

Didn't count the transfer as he will be one and gone.
Don't see anyone leaving early for the league.

Class of 17

Ivey
Burns
Jobe
Russel
Frierson
Hall
Blades ?
T. Campbell?

How do you give these super stars enoug burn to keep them happy?
Is Bandy, Young and Carter good enough to hold off these guys.
Burns is not coming in as a football schollie. Track athlete
Redwine, knowles, dean, jaquan all will be seniors next year. So will Henley, Jackson, mayes(2 out of the 3 won't ever play much in base defense here). Honestly think Finley and smith will eventually make that transition to linebacker. Numbers work themselves out they always do. The Coaching staff KNOW how many dbs we need to bring in so that's a pretty telling sign of what they think of some of the dbs we have. Not to mention this is the most loaded db class in south Florida that I've ever seen so stack chips, end of the story.
BAMA does this YEARLY at several positions

Last edited:
Not worried one bit. Actually excited about our special teams coverage the next few years.

Advertisement
All these players won't come in as 2018 players if you redshirt them, I believe each one of these guys is good enough not to redshirt but if we can redshirt Russell, ivey and maybe one other then we will be fine moving forward while those players get time to really develop.

The cream will always rise to the top. Stack the roster with talent and play the best monsters.

Advertisement
Golden tried to make them happy with playing time. Now they have to win their spot and make themselves happy.

So last year we could barely field a defense for a few games and now we're stacking chips and creating quality depth.
IDK if your complaining or saying this is a problem, either way chill. Also, as per jefe the defensive scheme requires a lot of substitutions.
And if we're lucky enough to have blow out games we develop 2's and 3's and sometimes those guys contribute significantly by the time they are seniors. Injuries, suspensions, illness. Proper prior planning prevents **** poor performance. The 7 p's.
Redundancy is sometimes a good thing. Look up the "two is one and one is none concept".

Advertisement
Advertisement
I get the point of the OP. But I think the counter-argument is that if you come to Miami, you're competing against Day 1/2/3 kids. Everyone makes each other better in practice, and any mistake during a game is covered by the talent around you. So if you start, you have a massive advantage getting into the league and being prepared for the next level.

If you aren't actively in the rotation after 4 years, then you probably wouldn't make the league anyway, and meanwhile you've had an amazing college experience and graduate with a degree worth something. ST and depth players that still want to make a go at the NFL can always transfer. It happens at the better programs. For example, FSU lost Brisset to transfer and he's now backing up Brady.

Not worried one bit. Actually excited about our special teams coverage the next few years.

Exactly what I was thinking with the athletes Richt & Co. are stacking. Devin, Roscoe, Santana and many other great returners had the speed, vision and the baddest MF'ers on the 2 deep blocking for them trying to show out and get a series or two in the 4th qtr. Also, I'm looking forward to seeing our LB's and DB's blocking for each other on interceptions which means lots more defensive TD's. Can't remember the last pick 6 that was picked 15+ yards downfield. Loving it.

I get the point of the OP. But I think the counter-argument is that if you come to Miami, you're competing against Day 1/2/3 kids. Everyone makes each other better in practice, and any mistake during a game is covered by the talent around you. So if you start, you have a massive advantage getting into the league and being prepared for the next level.

If you aren't actively in the rotation after 4 years, then you probably wouldn't make the league anyway, and meanwhile you've had an amazing college experience and graduate with a degree worth something. ST and depth players that still want to make a go at the NFL can always transfer. It happens at the better programs. For example, FSU lost Brisset to transfer and he's now backing up Brady.

Agree with everything you said except Brisset went to UF first. Still remember cussing him for decommitting

Advertisement
Back