Something to watch with Lashlee going forward

Can he make in game adjustments? That's something to keep an eye on. He didn't really have to do that the first three games, we had success pretty much all game. But in this game he was stonewalled from the first snap. He wasn't able to make an adjustment and get the offense going. That, to me, was one of the most alarming things about this game. Most good coordinators could make adjustments and get something (anything!) going.

Manny has his flaws but if his defense is getting worked, he comes back out after halftime and things are different. He's always been that way. Even Baker, who we all love to hate, adjusted in this game and took away Etienne out of the backfield.
As the head coach, I’m surprised manny can’t help by offering up suggestions( get the whole **** staff together to fix the problem) that’s a corporate America move!!!

Advertisement
We tried some WR screens but those were getting blown up because the corners were playing so tight. I didn’t feel like we ever got into an offensive set where the ball was getting out quickly consistently.
Add to that we were down 21-0 by the early 2nd qtr, that took Harris out of the game. Hard to scheme or adjust to a Veranbles led Clemson defense when you're one dimensional with WRs that can't make contested catches.

WRs aren’t always gonna run free and we don’t have any receivers with the possible exception of Brevin that will fight for a catch.Wiggins had a couple chances last night on balls that were under thrown to stop and go back and get the ball but he just kept running.
Pope couldn’t catch water in a bucket and it seems Payton is totally lost.

Our WR room SUCKS and until we get that changed I don’t think this offense can work to it’s fullest.

I keep hearing “ you should never have to leave S Fla. for WR or CB’s”.Well maybe it’s time cause the good ones we can’t recruit and the ones we keep getting are slow with hands of stone.I watch teams like Memphis with half a dozen guys that catch everything and are fast as **** but we can’t find 1 or 2 here at Miami.

I’m hoping there will be guys that want to come play in this system cause we are never gonna beat the good teams that can actually cover with the guys we have now.

Last edited:
The pro-style bros were usurped by the “space and pace!” fanatics. Weirdly enough pace and space itself doesn’t make up for your opponent physically dominating your skill positions and destroying your offensive line. And once the offense stalls out for most of the game your defense gets destroyed. Who knew.

/s

People convinced themselves when Lashlee was beating up on the dregs of college football that he was some magician installing crazy wrinkles and innovative new schemes each game. What Lashlee called and drew up for Clemson (with an extra week of preparation) just drives home there is a massive talent gap between the hurricanes and the top teams across the board. It also drives home that the hurricanes can likely compete to be the sacrificial ACC lamb each year with their current recruiting, current team, and current staff. Beyond that they need serious breaks and perfection to beat any of the top 5-10 teams.

We saw all we needed to see out of him last night based on the first drive of the 2nd half. Had a little bit of life, NEEDED something and we just took a ah1t

Advertisement
Lashlee is getting a big pass today by all the pace and space guys on this board today, virtually crickets. Im gonna chalk it up to a bad game but getting the ball coming out of halftime and going 3 out was a bad look. The offense couldnt even get first downs let alone points. Total fail all night

Now we're seeing why Rhett has been a journeyman offensive coordinator all these years. I'm still holding onto the belief that not having a full spring to install the offense did us no favors so there will be a steeper learning curve. I hope to see improvement in the weeks going forward.
Last night was not on Lashlee. And to say anything close to that based on last night is ridiculously stupid. Lashlee can only work with he’s given. ESPECIALLY against a team that’s clearly above EVERYONE else. Our WRs suck and Knighton OR Chaney needs to play more over Harris.

This offense never stood a chance to begin with against Clemson. Clemson is stacked and has the best D-Coord in college. Funny some of y’all thought Lashlee and this offense was going to hang a bunch of points on them.

34F42E42-3FDA-4FBB-929C-53B92E5CC9E6.jpeg

Advertisement
Lashlee is getting a big pass today by all the pace and space guys on this board today, virtually crickets. Im gonna chalk it up to a bad game but getting the ball coming out of halftime and going 3 out was a bad look. The offense couldnt even get first downs let alone points. Total fail all night
This! We couldn't even get first downs. The whole game.

Add to that we were down 21-0 by the early 2nd qtr, that took Harris out of the game. Hard to scheme or adjust to a Veranbles led Clemson defense when you're one dimensional with WRs that can't make contested catches.
We weren’t down 21-0. It was 14-3 and then 21-3. The adjustments could have come at 21-10 where we started the third quarter. Lashlee had a bad game. It happens.

This offense never stood a chance to begin with against Clemson. Clemson is stacked and has the best D-Coord in college. Funny some of y’all thought Lashlee and this offense was going to hang a bunch of points on them.

View attachment 133481
Tried to tell em before the game and got a pushback, dude is best in biz without a doubt..

STILL there were more plays to be made then just run Inside zone right into a defense designed to stop it and jumpball fades to jag WR .. We didnt even make the guy break a sweat.. the get back coach had the night off also..

We weren’t down 21-0. It was 14-3 and then 21-3. The adjustments could have come at 21-10 where we started the third quarter. Lashlee had a bad game. It happens.
OK, we were down 21-3, same impact on the offense.

The very nature of our first half score doesn't give anyone confidence that they could turn around momentum in the 2nd half. If we scored with the offense on the field, they could go in thinking we could do something against them. But since it was a blocked field goal, it was blind luck that Dabo did a boneheaded play.

I saw in the middle of the 1st qtr that what we were doing wasn't working. Adjustment should have started before the second half. What every happened to take what the defense was giving. And there were plays to be made before it got out of hand.

Not saying he didn't have a bad game but everyone makes it seem like it's easy to turn things around when you're in the middle of an avalanche.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I really want everyone to watch our UAB game & compare it to our Clemson game. Fans said he called a vanilla game; but go back & watch when he faces a def that fights back. The difference was we just out talented them in the run game as there were a couple of missed assignments.
I said it during the UAB game and got ripped

OK, we were down 21-3, same impact on the offense.

Not saying he didn't have a bad game but everyone makes it seem like it's easy to turn things around when you're in the middle of an avalanche.

The very nature of the score just before doesn't give them the confidence that they could turn around momentum in the 2nd half. If we scored with the offense on the field, they could go in thinking we could do something against them. But since it was a blocked field goal, it was blind luck that Dabo did a boneheaded play.
That’s your opinion. Never said it was easy. Playing Clemson is hard. We went into the half with momentum and 20 minutes to adjust. We went 3 and out to start the 2nd half then threw a bad pick on 1/10 from the 28 after our defense got the ball back. I’m not sure what we are debating. Lashlee had a bad game. It is what it is.

Andre Johnson, Santana Moss, Wayne etc ain’t walking through that door.

Advertisement
He is a system guy, when asked about getting the ball more to Mallory he said its about the system and the ball will "find" him.. He is not like a Kiffin who believes in FTS (feed the studs) type offense.. He ran jumpball with proche and roberson but those guys were either beating coverage or like proche who is nfl wr making a ton of contested catches.. we cant depend on our wr to do that.. I thought he would lean more on air raid but seemed more like his original mentor last nite Malzahn who has been on hot seat as his offense has been criticized lately and even called dog**** passing scheme by nfl types
Lashlee and Malzahn’s passing game is dependent on running the ball. All their gadgets and passing schemes are predicated on putting the defense in limbo. When they can't run the ball the majority of the passing game is nullfied and we get to see the jump ball passing game because that's all they got.

That’s your opinion. Never said it was easy. Playing Clemson is hard. We went into the half with momentum and 20 minutes to adjust. We went 3 and out to start the 2nd half then threw a bad pick on 1/10 from the 28 after our defense got the ball back. I’m not sure what we are debating. Lashlee had a bad game. It is what it is.
I thought I was agreeing with your post about trying screens earlier but they were blown up. I added that the start (falling behind early) took away the running game making adjustments even harder.

You brought up it was 21-3 instead of 21-0 as if made a material difference.

Advertisement
Back