Something to watch with Lashlee going forward

terdferguson

Junior
Can he make in game adjustments? That's something to keep an eye on. He didn't really have to do that the first three games, we had success pretty much all game. But in this game he was stonewalled from the first snap. He wasn't able to make an adjustment and get the offense going. That, to me, was one of the most alarming things about this game. Most good coordinators could make adjustments and get something (anything!) going.

Manny has his flaws but if his defense is getting worked, he comes back out after halftime and things are different. He's always been that way. Even Baker, who we all love to hate, adjusted in this game and took away Etienne out of the backfield.

Advertisement
Etienne SHOULD OF BEEN TAKEN AWAY FROM THE JUMP!! If I can watch a couple big clemson games and see they will run sprint draw, screens, jump pass, swing screen, wheel routes, any way to get him ball in open field a week before game while not even being a coach, how can you have a bye week and know they will run misdirection stuff to attack your over aggressive scheme and have ALLLLL those plays work in first half?! WHAT. THE. FUVK?!

Lashlee only adjustment seems to be to think speed up tempo faster and revert to Malzahn jump ball offense with Harley, wiggins, pope.. which was a losing gameplan

Now we're seeing why Rhett has been a journeyman offensive coordinator all these years. I'm still holding onto the belief that not having a full spring to install the offense did us no favors so there will be a steeper learning curve. I hope to see improvement in the weeks going forward.

Can he make in game adjustments? That's something to keep an eye on. He didn't really have to do that the first three games, we had success pretty much all game. But in this game he was stonewalled from the first snap. He wasn't able to make an adjustment and get the offense going. That, to me, was one of the most alarming things about this game. Most good coordinators could make adjustments and get something (anything!) going.

Manny has his flaws but if his defense is getting worked, he comes back out after halftime and things are different. He's always been that way. Even Baker, who we all love to hate, adjusted in this game and took away Etienne out of the backfield.
I really want everyone to watch our UAB game & compare it to our Clemson game. Fans said he called a vanilla game; but go back & watch when he faces a def that fights back. The difference was we just out talented them in the run game as there were a couple of missed assignments.

Etienne SHOULD OF BEEN TAKEN AWAY FROM THE JUMP!! If I can watch a couple big clemson games and see they will run sprint draw, screens, jump pass, swing screen, wheel routes, any way to get him ball in open field a week before game while not even being a coach, how can you have a bye week and know they will run misdirection stuff to attack your over aggressive scheme and have ALLLLL those plays work in first half?! WHAT. THE. FUVK?!

Lashlee only adjustment seems to be to think speed up tempo faster and revert to Malzahn jump ball offense with Harley, wiggins, pope.. which was a losing gameplan
Absolutely and that's frustrating, but that's kind of another topic. At least our d coaches do adjust and their adjustments are meaningful and yield results. Lashlee in this game could not get anything at all going pretty much from the opening kick until the final whistle. The fact that he couldn't find or make an adjustment that worked is VERY alarming and something we need to keep an eye on going forward. I hope he's not a guy who's offense either works against someone or it doesn't and that's that. We will never beat great teams if that's the case.

Advertisement
Absolutely and that's frustrating, but that's kind of another topic. At least our d coaches do adjust and their adjustments are meaningful and yield results. Lashlee in this game could not get anything at all going pretty much from the opening kick until the final whistle. The fact that he couldn't find or make an adjustment that worked is VERY alarming and something we need to keep an eye on going forward. I hope he's not a guy who's offense either works against someone or it doesn't and that's that. We will never beat great teams if that's the case.
He is a system guy, when asked about getting the ball more to Mallory he said its about the system and the ball will "find" him.. He is not like a Kiffin who believes in FTS (feed the studs) type offense.. He ran jumpball with proche and roberson but those guys were either beating coverage or like proche who is nfl wr making a ton of contested catches.. we cant depend on our wr to do that.. I thought he would lean more on air raid but seemed more like his original mentor last nite Malzahn who has been on hot seat as his offense has been criticized lately and even called dog**** passing scheme by nfl types

It was definitely disappointing that we couldn’t do anything to penalize them for attacking the LOS as aggressively as they were. Some quick hitters to the backs or running a TE across the middle 10 or so yards from the line would seem to have given us a shot. Seemed like we just stuck to the plan and hoped we could get enough time for the plays to develop. Never happened. Should have been some answer to get them to back off.

I really want everyone to watch our UAB game & compare it to our Clemson game. Fans said he called a vanilla game; but go back & watch when he faces a def that fights back. The difference was we just out talented them in the run game as there were a couple of missed assignments.
100% correct! I thought the same thing

It was definitely disappointing that we couldn’t do anything to penalize them for attacking the LOS as aggressively as they were. Some quick hitters to the backs or running a TE across the middle 10 or so yards from the line would seem to have given us a shot. Seemed like we just stuck to the plan and hoped we could get enough time for the plays to develop. Never happened. Should have been some answer to get them to back off.
tried that a couple times and we either dropped it or the ball was misplaced/misread by the receiver

Advertisement
We tried that a couple times and we either dropped it or the ball was misplaced/misread by the receiver
We tried some WR screens but those were getting blown up because the corners were playing so tight. I didn’t feel like we ever got into an offensive set where the ball was getting out quickly consistently.

Now we're seeing why Rhett has been a journeyman offensive coordinator all these years. I'm still holding onto the belief that not having a full spring to install the offense did us no favors so there will be a steeper learning curve. I hope to see improvement in the weeks going forward.
He’s not a journeyman. He was learning under his mentor, Mazlahn. Then went out on his own to UCONN (1 year) and then SMU for a few seasons. Miami is a step up.

Our game plan last night was embarrassing

The gameplan depended on if the receivers could make congested catches. What did Herbstriet kept saying all game what Miami needed to do to move the ball? What was Lashlee saying all week leading up to the game? It is no secret that if the wideouts didn’t make plays they would load the box and blitz.

Lashlee knew that and gamelanned according to the receivers stepping up to the plate. They didn’t show up and there was no counter. But what was he to counter with, the run game, screens to the wideouts and running backs? Venerable knew if plan A didn’t work for the offense neither would plan b and c. He also knew that if plan A work he would have his work cut out for him because he would now have to play the entire field that would have opened up the tempo, run, and pass. You ain’t moving the ball on a team that doesn’t respect your passing game period. **** at this point teams will respect Navy and Army passing game more than ours. The small “3” better get benched, or grow some balls by next Saturday because Narduzzi ain’t far behind Venerable at coaching defense.

Advertisement

Somehow pur plan for Etienne was to cover him with McCloud and Jennings....so yeah obviously that didn't work out.

Advertisement
Our game plan last night was embarrassing
Wasn’t a good night from Lashlee.

The bright side of that is that this was only game 4 in this offense, Venables is the best DC in the business, and we had a personnel mismatch with our WR’s on their CB’s.

Hopefully, they evolve from this and improve the flexibility within the scheme. We needed to counter punch and I never felt we did. Ill give the game a second watch today and see if I feel differently. In real time, it felt we got rigid and then got frustrated which led to a few 50/50 balls being put up in the air.

He is a system guy, when asked about getting the ball more to Mallory he said its about the system and the ball will "find" him.. He is not like a Kiffin who believes in FTS (feed the studs) type offense.. He ran jumpball with proche and roberson but those guys were either beating coverage or like proche who is nfl wr making a ton of contested catches.. we cant depend on our wr to do that.. I thought he would lean more on air raid but seemed more like his original mentor last nite Malzahn who has been on hot seat as his offense has been criticized lately and even called dog**** passing scheme by nfl types

Kiffin is one of the best play callers in the game. He creates mismatches and exploits them.

Kiffin is one of the best play callers in the game. He creates mismatches and exploits them.
He feeds his studs and rides them no matter what you scheme to take away.. I mentioned everyone knows Gators will get their TE the ball and they still feed him ball no matter what double team bs you try to employ.. I dont like the system works and will find player.. no GET YOUR STUDS THE BALL.. When did we even try to get Camron the ball?

Advertisement
Back