Something to watch with Lashlee going forward

Advertisement
Not sure of the game plan, but Clemson took away the running game making us one dimensional. King under throwing every deep ball to receivers that don’t fight for the ball and/or know how to draw PI made our offense no dimensional....

I thought I was agreeing with your post about trying screens earlier but they were blown up. I added that the start (falling behind early) took away the running game making adjustments even harder.

You brought up it was 21-3 instead of 21-0 as if made a material difference.
I think you were talking about WR screens. I was talking about RB screens or just quick hitters to the backs. Kind of like Clemson did with Etienne. The WR screens were dead on arrival because their corners were pressing.

Lashlee is a journeyman. Dude went from being an SEC OC to a remote outpost like UCONN.
No. He had been linked to Malzhan since high school. He needed to break away in order to grow on his own. Which he’s done....one year at UCONN, then moved up to SMU for two years, then moved up to Miami. He’s only 37 years old. He’s a rising star as OC. Last night was a bad day at the office, but that happens to every coordinator and HC.

To me, a journeyman would be in his mid-late 40s, early 50s, or older, calling plays for his fifth or sixth team. Maybe after having been fired from his first HC opportunity. Major Applewhite, Steve Sarkisian, Steve Ensminger....

I think you were talking about WR screens. I was talking about RB screens or just quick hitters to the backs. Kind of like Clemson did with Etienne. The WR screens were dead on arrival because their corners were pressing.
Here's the post I responded to. I never brought up WR screens specifically.

We tried some WR screens but those were getting blown up because the corners were playing so tight. I didn’t feel like we ever got into an offensive set where the ball was getting out quickly consistently.
I saw the same thing. That's when we should have adjusted and try to run them off and get it out to the RBs. Instead, we took the RBs out of the equation entirely.

Advertisement
It is hard to know what to run when different players miss their assignments. Our 4th and one call for instance was a good call if our OG simply gets in the way of the middle backer. He does not and gets pushed aside and our back loses a yard. Loss on downs. Bad call or bad execution? Is the assumption that players will always miss their assignments or is it a one time deal? Hard to know.

Here's the post I responded to. I never brought up WR screens specifically.

I saw the same thing. That's when we should have adjusted and try to run them off and get it out to the RBs. Instead, we took the RBs out of the equation entirely.
Ok all good we agree. For some reason, our backs weren’t used in the game plan very well. I think Lashlee had a poor plan or poor call in game. It sucks.

Butch Davis ain't either.
this up here GIF by Chord Overstreet

Advertisement
Can any of our starting wide receivers beat their matchup in man coverage consistenly? No.

We dont have to talk about scheme or question the OC. Our starting wide receivers suck. Period. Lack of athletic ability, lack of toughness, lack of hands, lack of everything. None of these guys is playing in the NFL next season. Zero chance.

You can have the most beautiful schemes in the world, if your weapons cant beat their matchup, forget it. Its all about trust and chemistry.

RB screen was there and would have potentially slowed down Clemson’s blitzes! Don’t understand why we didn’t try to counter their pressure. It really appeared that Lashlee and Manny were Shook!

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back