Something that Mario is doing that I really like...

DoctorKrazey

Sophomore
He’s placing a much bigger emphasis on recruiting nationally, and not putting all of our eggs into one basket, so to speak, by only caring about "Locking down the city of Miami." One of the greatest misconceptions made by people in college football is Miami is only good when their program is comprised solely of Miami kids, and that’s simply not true. Some of the greatest players in U history weren’t even from the state of Florida, much less Miami. In Diaz’ last full class, 15 out of the 23 commits were from Miami. So far, only 4 of the 16 in this class are from Miami. Go look at Bama, Georgia, Ohio State’s classes year after year and they recruit all over the country. Plus, it seems to me, and maybe this is unfair, but in recent years it’s many of the local kids that shun us and disrespect us the MOST. So I think we’re going to see Mario to continue to welcome and cherish the Miami kids who are 1000% committed and bleed orange/green, but not feel pressured or obligated to say, "Hey we need a certain percentage of dudes from the 305 to consider this class a success."

Advertisement
While I agree, the reason those other schools recruit nationally is they don't have the talent in their state to win big. Other than OL and DT which can be thin, S FLA produces enough talent every year to win it all if you can land every guy you want. Even bama doesn't get everybody, so being able to recruit nationally is a must.

All due respect, Randy Shannon dispelled the rumor that "Miami is only good with Miami kids" with his top-ranked class of 2008, which didn't pan out; Shannon gone two seasons later.

Miami never only recruited Miami kids. Russell Maryland was from Chicago. Jerome Brown was from Brooksville. Ray Lewis was from Lakeland. Warren Sapp was from Apopka. Gino Torretta and Ken Dorsey were California quarterbacks, Steve Walsh was from Minnesota, Bernie Kosar was from Youngtown, Vinny Testaverde was from Brooklyn and Jim Kelly was from Pittsburgh.

Jessie Armstead was from Dallas. Cortez Kennedy was from rural Arkansas. Ed Reed and Reggie Wayne were from Louisiana. Clinton Portis was from Gainesville. Jeremy Shockey came from Oklahoma. DJ Williams from northern California. Bryant McKinnie and Greg Olsen were New Jersey-bred.

Yes, for every name here there were several Miami guys as well, but when Miami recruited well and won big—starting with Schnelly—you locked down the State of Miami (north to Orlando, west on I-4 to Tampa and everything south), while cherry-picking kids from the northwest, the south, Texas, California, etc.

Mario saw it first-hand as a player, a well as an assistant and after four years in Tuscaloosa with Nick Saban, the boy knows how to build a roster.

Reeling in South Florida talent is key, but the program looks for "Miami guys" and players that have that Hurricanes DNA and are built a little different mentally; work harder than the other guy, hit harder, etc. You don't have to be from Miami to be a "Miami guy".

Advertisement
Very important to know the regions of the country for specific skill sets of players ... and programs that have HS staffs that KNOW HOW to teach fundamentals. Mario learned a lot at Bama and is going about recruiting in a similar manner.

Kids outside the State of Miami more easily see The U as a Mount Olympus type place imo. It has an appeal. Definitely.

Always said this, we're sort of like Duke basketball in that way. People outside of North Carolina look at Duke way more glowingly than people inside the state

While your not wrong by saying this, a lot of our current commits already had a relationship with Mario while he was at Oregon. While we will probably still target the west coast, I think the expectation shouldn’t be for us to get 5-7 guys every year out there

All due respect, Randy Shannon dispelled the rumor that "Miami is only good with Miami kids" with his top-ranked class of 2008, which didn't pan out; Shannon gone two seasons later.

Miami never only recruited Miami kids. Russell Maryland was from Chicago. Jerome Brown was from Brooksville. Ray Lewis was from Lakeland. Warren Sapp was from Apopka. Gino Torretta and Ken Dorsey were California quarterbacks, Steve Walsh was from Minnesota, Bernie Kosar was from Youngtown, Vinny Testaverde was from Brooklyn and Jim Kelly was from Pittsburgh.

Jessie Armstead was from Dallas. Cortez Kennedy was from rural Arkansas. Ed Reed and Reggie Wayne were from Louisiana. Clinton Portis was from Gainesville. Jeremy Shockey came from Oklahoma. DJ Williams from northern California. Bryant McKinnie and Greg Olsen were New Jersey-bred.

Yes, for every name here there were several Miami guys as well, but when Miami recruited well and won big—starting with Schnelly—you locked down the State of Miami (north to Orlando, west on I-4 to Tampa and everything south), while cherry-picking kids from the northwest, the south, Texas, California, etc.

Mario saw it first-hand as a player, a well as an assistant and after four years in Tuscaloosa with Nick Saban, the boy knows how to build a roster.

Reeling in South Florida talent is key, but the program looks for "Miami guys" and players that have that Hurricanes DNA and are built a little different mentally; work harder than the other guy, hit harder, etc. You don't have to be from Miami to be a "Miami guy".
Bingo!!!

Advertisement
I share the same energy and thoughts many of you have all shared thus far. It is an interesting concept, Miami Guy. Recruiting is so different now with coverage upon more media more news more exposure and interaction with players and fans, etc. Was Jerry Jeudy or Amari Cooper, Miami Guys? Didn't the Playmaker say the Boz, should have been at the U? I think we started landing the wrong kind of guys in Coker's early tenure. Was Willie Williams a Miami guy? I think if Butch had brought him in there would have been a different outcome. I also think it would have been the case had he gone to Fsu or UF for that matter. But he came to Miami with Coker and Shannon as DC IIRC, and for WW that was a wrap. I think RS was a very very good DC and recruiter. I think he would have grown more if it had been under Butch. Alas here we are.

This cycle the only elite south Florida kid committed is Ray Ray. The rest don’t seem very receptive. I don’t think he has a choice but to seek national elites. Good to see he’s not settling for lower tier kids just because they’re from south Florida.

He’s placing a much bigger emphasis on recruiting nationally, and not putting all of our eggs into one basket, so to speak, by only caring about "Locking down the city of Miami." One of the greatest misconceptions made by people in college football is Miami is only good when their program is comprised solely of Miami kids, and that’s simply not true. Some of the greatest players in U history weren’t even from the state of Florida, much less Miami. In Diaz’ last full class, 15 out of the 23 commits were from Miami. So far, only 4 of the 16 in this class are from Miami. Go look at Bama, Georgia, Ohio State’s classes year after year and they recruit all over the country. Plus, it seems to me, and maybe this is unfair, but in recent years it’s many of the local kids that shun us and disrespect us the MOST. So I think we’re going to see Mario to continue to welcome and cherish the Miami kids who are 1000% committed and bleed orange/green, but not feel pressured or obligated to say, "Hey we need a certain percentage of dudes from the 305 to consider this class a success."

It's always been about recruiting nationally. A lot of people get caught up with the "state of Miami" line. What we do need to do though, and this will ONLY happen by winning, is keeping more/most of the ELITE South Florida kids home. We certainly don't need to load up exclusively on Miami kids. There are always down years and we'd ***** ourselves every few classes with that mentality.

Take for instance UFs class this year. I don't think they have one commit that's more than 50 miles from campus (slight hyperbole). Imagine a year their recruiting area has a 'down' year and they can't grab kids from further away?

I still think the key is locking down elite SFL, but there is elite talent elsewhere. Mario is letting them know that we won't get played once they start playing games.

Advertisement
Advertisement
The definition of "locking down the state of miami" is where the issue is. It doesn't mean to only fill the roster up with miami kids, it means that you make sure you dont miss on the top kids from that area, as those kids are guaranteed to be difference-makers.

I think it'll be as simple as winning on the field and developing kids into first and second day draft picks. Do this and most local kids will fall in line. We already have the recruiters and financial backing needed to be very successful.

If you posted this when Al Golden was the coach, you would have been banned

I think people are confusing the term "Locking down state of Miami". That doesnt mean get any and every kid locally (I.E., Ryan Mayes, Ricardo Williams. Kendall Thompkins types. There are alot more to speak of)...Those caliber of kids wont help us get back to upper echolen of college football. Locking down means locking down the BEST talent. Keeping kids like Hykeem Williams home. And getting on future 5* kids like TJ Capers, Jeremiah Smith, JoJo Trader and even Armando Blount EARLY so that they want to stay home. Thats locking down the "State of Miami".

Ohio State when Jim Tressel was there LOCKED DOWN that entire state. Any kid that was a 4-5* that Tressel wanted..forget about it. Dont even waste your time. They were going to Ohio State. Fred Davis is probably the only 5* kid that I can think of that left Ohio during that time. (went to USC and flamed out)

Thats what I want Mario to do. (or try. You wont get all of them) Get to the point where teams dont even waste resources. Just dont even put up a fight. If there is a high 4* or 5* kid in Dade, Broward or PB county and Mario wants him? Hes going to Miami. Done and done.

Advertisement
Back