Something That Doesn't Get Talked About Enough

JJ didn't touch anything because he was mandated to keep the current staff.

JJ may have been strongly encouraged to go hands off - but there was no reason to make a bunch of changes - he was replacing Schnellenberger - who had already instilled good football practices in the team. Second year - as I recall - he put in the Miami 4-3 - and it worked well!

Everyone had digressed. Everyone on the team. I don't see anyone having fun.

If we look confused - we are. Too many things to keep in mind. It's like these games are their first at playing football!

Advertisement
Not necessarily considering the recruiting and transfer portal cycles.

Yes, the age of instant gratification demands more. I get it...I get it...
Mario has lost to MTSU and Duke. This isn't about instant gratification, it's about going with what works and has proven to be successful. Look at Heupel at Tennessee. Even though they finished what 8-4 in 2021 (his first year), he instantly turned them from one of the worst P5 teams in offense that they were in 2020 (before he got there). **** even TVD started putting up better numbers once Gattis starting putting in more plays that suited his talent/skill set.

It's been mentioned a few times in other threads, but deserves its own (bc why tf not?) is how Mario hired the position coaches BEFORE hiring coordinators. Allegedly, it's the main reason Jason Candle turned down the job and why he eventually settled on Gattis. I mean who the f**k does that? I know this was the case for offense, but did he do it on defense as well (i can't recall)? Also, there were the reports that his coordinator interviews lasted around 8 hours. Imagine spending all day interviewing for a position only to be told that you have to work with a pre-selected group of guys. It's no wonder everything looks sh*t.

*waiting for a pro Mario bro to somehow blame this on a lack of talent and kids not playing with enough heart/pride*
We have a giant budget now, bring all of Candle's guys in as analysts if Candle has friends that he doesn't want to leave hanging.

Advertisement
Back