Something That Doesn't Get Talked About Enough

Gsugradcanefan

Freshman
It's been mentioned a few times in other threads, but deserves its own (bc why tf not?) is how Mario hired the position coaches BEFORE hiring coordinators. Allegedly, it's the main reason Jason Candle turned down the job and why he eventually settled on Gattis. I mean who the f**k does that? I know this was the case for offense, but did he do it on defense as well (i can't recall)? Also, there were the reports that his coordinator interviews lasted around 8 hours. Imagine spending all day interviewing for a position only to be told that you have to work with a pre-selected group of guys. It's no wonder everything looks sh*t.

*waiting for a pro Mario bro to somehow blame this on a lack of talent and kids not playing with enough heart/pride*

Advertisement
No one is safe this year except mario and his homie mirabal. And mirabal is only safe because he is the homie.

Gattis should be fired tomorrow. Personnel fits scheme not the other way around. If mario doesn't like it you tell him to run it himself. If mario is smart he knows we don't got the personnel.

I know what is going on. Mario knows we were going to struggle. He doesn't care about winning now. He is putting his system in place. We shall see. I give him 4 years. This isn't a rebuild. It is a straight up full purge.

The coaches are learning these systems along with the players. All across the board

Advertisement
No one is safe this year except mario and his homie mirabal. And mirabal is only safe because he is the homie.

Gattis should be fired tomorrow. Personnel fits scheme not the other way around. If mario doesn't like it you tell him to run it himself. If mario is smart he knows we don't got the personnel.

I know what is going on. Mario knows we were going to struggle. He doesn't care about winning now. He is putting his system in place. We shall see. I give him 4 years. This isn't a rebuild. It is a straight up full purge.
That's the feeling Ive had since game 1. Crazy as it sounds they arent playing to win this year. Feels like they are figuring out what needs to be changed. OR we just suck. idk.

If your scheme takes 4 years to fully implement it's a **** scheme. College coaches deal with high rates of turnover between the transfer portal, kids leaving for the draft, and graduation. It makes sense to implement schemes that are easy to pick up to give you higher chances of success. If the team is doing poorly next year then it's 100% on Mario.

If your scheme takes 4 years to fully implement it's a **** scheme. College coaches deal with high rates of turnover between the transfer portal, kids leaving for the draft, and graduation. It makes sense to implement schemes that are easy to pick up to give you higher chances of success. If the team is doing poorly next year then it's 100% on Mario.
Not saying it takes 4 years. I'm saying by year 4 it better be clicking and we better be competing for the cfp.

Advertisement
It's been mentioned a few times in other threads, but deserves its own (bc why tf not?) is how Mario hired the position coaches BEFORE hiring coordinators. Allegedly, it's the main reason Jason Candle turned down the job and why he eventually settled on Gattis. I mean who the f**k does that? I know this was the case for offense, but did he do it on defense as well (i can't recall)? Also, there were the reports that his coordinator interviews lasted around 8 hours. Imagine spending all day interviewing for a position only to be told that you have to work with a pre-selected group of guys. It's no wonder everything looks sh*t.

*waiting for a pro Mario bro to somehow blame this on a lack of talent and kids not playing with enough heart/pride*
It was very non-traditional. Typically you should let your coordinators do the hiring of thier subordinates.

With that said, Mirabal for sure, probably Ponce are "Mario's inner circle" and the OC will just have to make it work.

Not necessarily considering the recruiting and transfer portal cycles.

Yes, the age of instant gratification demands more. I get it...I get it...

Advertisement
Maybe it's because the coordinators are just running what Mario tells them to anyways?

Maybe it's because the coordinators are just running what Mario tells them to anyways?
Probably not each and every play, however, Big Manny had better have provided guidance on thematically what he wants to see for roster building as weĺl as O + D schemes.

Not that hard.

Advertisement

Always start with the top guy and work your way down with the hires. True in business, too.

The coaches are learning these systems along with the players. All across the board

Too many systems. Too many changes. Too many restrictions. Too many demands. Too many requirements. And too much BS in the new 'identity.'

Stevie Wonder could see it.

BS: "How you do one thing, you do everything."

Sounds logical. Sounds like a profound concept - but it's complete BS. No one, and I mean NO ONE gets things done like that! You certainly don't take a dump with the same attitude - or approach you use while cramming for an exam. Or trying to make a deadline. Or horsing around with your buddies, which is different than you interact with your family - which is different how you present and cooperate with your fellow employees.

How you do one thing is how you do everything is a dreary, monochromatic, undesirable state of mind that results in stagnation, boredom, dread, and indifference.

Which is what I'm personally seeing.

What are we hearing time after time, loss after loss? "We have a lot of work to do." Blazing Saddles pops into my mind when I hear this, "Work work work work work work work "

Someone big in the coaching staff needs to pull their head out of their ***, and become a coach. Not a damned taskmaster. Or dominator or overlord.

Fine. Mario has a plan. But his plan as we're seeing - is more something to be slowly introduced in another few years from now. You can do that when you're well established and running the board season after season -

JJ didn't touch diddly **** his first year. He observed and got a feel of the team - and it wasn't great - but better than what we have now. THEN he opened things up- and our players - had fun on gamedays, loved AND feared JJ, practiced hard, and were fast. JJ himself was emotional - especially on game day. He fired the team up to want to have fun come kickoff.

Mario is systematic - good in time - he's relatively calm - good in some matters - some of the time. He's picked up a few traits from other programs - but his criteria for picking coaches and coordinators - is all formula - and the damned formula is designed for a 60% to 70% success victory rate.

If Mario doesn't have a feel for the game - lots of intuition - then he needs to get coordinators who have a strong feel for the game on gameday - and have lots of intuition on gameday. If you can't feel problem areas and quickly adapt - if you can't feel confidence on the field and take advantage at key moments - get coaches who DO.

This isn't nuts and bolts. It's young men. They've played football almost all their lives - because they love it. True, they can be finessed - but that's all one can do - a bit of finessing. They want to win, have fun winning, and do what they do well.

Get off their asses and help them win.

It was brought up plenty during the searches. I specifically remember a number of the higher profile guys on here speaking about it and the hesitation it gave them about Mario.

Too many systems. Too many changes. Too many restrictions. Too many demands. Too many requirements. And too much BS in the new 'identity.'

Stevie Wonder could see it.

BS: "How you do one thing, you do everything."

Sounds logical. Sounds like a profound concept - but it's complete BS. No one, and I mean NO ONE gets things done like that! You certainly don't take a dump with the same attitude - or approach you use while cramming for an exam. Or trying to make a deadline. Or horsing around with your buddies, which is different than you interact with your family - which is different how you present and cooperate with your fellow employees.

How you do one thing is how you do everything is a dreary, monochromatic, undesirable state of mind that results in stagnation, boredom, dread, and indifference.

Which is what I'm personally seeing.

What are we hearing time after time, loss after loss? "We have a lot of work to do." Blazing Saddles pops into my mind when I hear this, "Work work work work work work work "

Someone big in the coaching staff needs to pull their head out of their ***, and become a coach. Not a damned taskmaster. Or dominator or overlord.

Fine. Mario has a plan. But his plan as we're seeing - is more something to be slowly introduced in another few years from now. You can do that when you're well established and running the board season after season -

JJ didn't touch diddly **** his first year. He observed and got a feel of the team - and it wasn't great - but better than what we have now. THEN he opened things up- and our players - had fun on gamedays, loved AND feared JJ, practiced hard, and were fast. JJ himself was emotional - especially on game day. He fired the team up to want to have fun come kickoff.

Mario is systematic - good in time - he's relatively calm - good in some matters - some of the time. He's picked up a few traits from other programs - but his criteria for picking coaches and coordinators - is all formula - and the damned formula is designed for a 60% to 70% success victory rate.

If Mario doesn't have a feel for the game - lots of intuition - then he needs to get coordinators who have a strong feel for the game on gameday - and have lots of intuition on gameday. If you can't feel problem areas and quickly adapt - if you can't feel confidence on the field and take advantage at key moments - get coaches who DO.

This isn't nuts and bolts. It's young men. They've played football almost all their lives - because they love it. True, they can be finessed - but that's all one can do - a bit of finessing. They want to win, have fun winning, and do what they do well.

Get off their asses and help them win.
JJ didn't touch anything because he was mandated to keep the current staff.

Advertisement
Back