Something or nothing?

Advertisement
Dixon would be great, but I am more concern that we keep Valentine and the rest of the Dline recruits. Coley will catch 60 next year and we have a lot coming in and back. Cook is a bigger deal than a WR. Joe and Duke are coming off surgeries; seeing what happened after Duke went down shows we need a serious stars behind stars at RB. Cook and Fornette would be nice, but let's start with Cook. And don't let Brandon get away.

I'm confused on how these coaches have so much say in this stuff. Why aren't they looking and finding the best fit for themselves. If he wants guaranteed early playing time, get the ball almost every play, and be the only real offense of weapon then Taint is a better fit. If he wants to compete, earn his plays and be part of probably one of the best offense in the country the next few years (if these recruits pan out) then UM is the better choice.

Very complex answer.

In general and to sum it up rather quickly, kids don't do their own due diligence. They are easily manipulated by people who think they have their best interest. I am sure most kids don't verify what they are told on their own.

For the most part, this. High School coaches become the filters and gatekeepers. They may never say directly, "don't go to school X," but rather they may express concern about the offense they run, the coordinators they have on staff, the facilities, whether some coach will be there or not, sanctions, etc. And conversely, they can feed lines about how another school, perhaps the coaches preferred school - who maybe pays this high school coach for speaking engagements, hires him as a camp coach, etc. - offers so many better opportunities. It is all speculation and opinion but the important point is they largely control the flow of information.

Like the Brissett situation or Alex Collins, despite Al and Co. going all out for his commitment, despite the fact that we had a huge need and opening for Brissett and Collins, and despite their own mother's expressed desire for them both to go to Miami, the relationships they had with their coaches - acting as the filters of (dis)information - was simply too much to overcome.

South Florida corches.

Advertisement
Back