Something different (a playoff alternative)

If Major League baseball did that the Braves don't win the World Series this year. We accept in every other sport that the team that gets hot at the right time wins the playoffs and is the best. And it isn't always the team that's actually the best according to "eye tests" or even records. Dodgers would have been Georgia and Atlanta would have been Pitt, with the narrative the NL East was a terrible division.

We've had wild card teams win the Superbowl.

Everyone remembers NC State and Villanova (well if you're in your 50's like me). You play those games a hundred times and they probably lose 95.
I do not care about the Braves or professional sports when it comes to this discussion.

College football is just different.
There's different conferences with way too many different teams and styles and business practices and traditions.
Having them all bracket off in a tournament simply does not make sense to me when everything is so fractured and there is no centralized organization.

Just go back to the wild west of Bowls and make me happy.

Advertisement
I do not care about the Braves or professional sports when it comes to this discussion.

College football is just different.
There's different conferences with way too many different teams and styles and business practices and traditions.
Having them all bracket off in a tournament simply does not make sense to me when everything is so fractured and there is no centralized organization.

Just go back to the wild west of Bowls and make me happy.
Well, I also included an example from College Basketball. I bet March Madness makes more money than football. **** every employer under the sun has office pools running under their watch.

I just think it's wrong that you are leaving conference champions out in football. And even worse, the criteria whether or not a conference championship is important or not changes yearly or with each team.

I also think if you expand the field kids don't think they have to go to Alabama to get in and maybe the talent gets spread around a little and it isn't the same few teams every year.

I get that I am generally catching heat here. And this wasn’t a genuine option…but I can respond to this one.

I don’t like the 8 team playoff. I loved the fact that cfb isn’t a tournament type sport. Every week matters.
When was the last time 8 teams were genuine contenders? I don’t think it has ever happened. So it will lead to blowouts in the first round. I don’t want that.
I also hate the retro fitting of bowl games. You have a semi final and then mash the two teams into a game they often have no connection too.
If you are going to go tournament, get rid of the bowls.
If you are going bowls, get rid of the tournament.

Just some thoughts. I get that it is all about money, so they are trying to do both.
How does every week matter when certain team losses get hand waived away because they are "good losses"? Saturday didn't matter because we have a team that lost it's conference championship get in to the final 4 and multiple teams that did win their conference championship who will be sitting home watching.

Have read Emmert is pushing a 12 team playoff. Top six rated conferences champion automatic plus six at large. Has, at least to my knowledge, not been officially proposed yet

Last edited:
Advertisement
8 is perfect. Anything more than 8 is a participation trophy and stupid.
All the P5 champions, and then 3 at large with possibly one of those at large being the best G5 team. Afteyouve decided on the 8 seed them as you see fit. If 12-1 Clemson loses to 8-5 UNC in the ACC title game, the tough ****. That was the first eliminator. That's the way I see it.

Well, I also included an example from College Basketball. I bet March Madness makes more money than football. **** every employer under the sun has office pools running under their watch.

I just think it's wrong that you are leaving conference champions out in football. And even worse, the criteria whether or not a conference championship is important or not changes yearly or with each team.

I also think if you expand the field kids don't think they have to go to Alabama to get in and maybe the talent gets spread around a little and it isn't the same few teams every year.
Basketball is a totally different sport and you can play three games in a week. They need it to maximize profits and it makes more sense logistically.

I agree that the system should focus more on Conference Champions which is why I liked the old Bowl system cause those were usually the tie -ins.

Expanding the field depending on how they select the rest of the teams will probably make no difference. As I said teams like O$U can bank on being selected by a committee over a team with a better record but less talent or prestige.

All the P5 champions, and then 3 at large with possibly one of those at large being the best G5 team. Afteyouve decided on the 8 seed them as you see fit. If 12-1 Clemson loses to 8-5 UNC in the ACC title game, the tough ****. That was the first eliminator. That's the way I see it.

I may be able to get behind this idea but we all know this probably won't happen too.

The powers that be will want a stupid committee and that committee is not going to want a multiple loss team ranked low to be in this thing at all.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I may be able to get behind this idea but we all know this probably won't happen too.

The powers at be will want a stupid committee and that committee is not going to want a multiple loss team ranked low to be in this thing at all.
The powers that be are going to put 3 sec teams in one year and that will be the year I stop watching (unless Miami is the other team and stomps 2 sec teams en route to a title😁).

8 team playoff where all power 5 champions are in with 3 at large bids to whoever are the 3 highest ranked non champions. Rematches don’t matter to me. I live in Texas and our high school state champions will play 15 games. If high school can then why not college.

I know most of the discussion is around coaching, and fair enough, but I want to talk the playoff for a bit here. This is going to get a little weird, but stay with me.

I don’t want to see a Bama vs UGA championship game. We have just seen it. Don’t make them play it again. Bama won, let’s move on and not have a repeat. Which brings me to my suggestion.

I am suggesting that the national championship deciding games are different every year based on the makeup of the teams and the games that have been played. To me a 4 team playoff doesn’t need to happen THIS year.
It should be Michigan vs Cincy, winner plays Bama in the championship game. So a 3 team playoff is the best solution for THIS year. In other years it might be a 4 team playoff, or an 8 team or some other variation.

A committee gets together and makes the best scenario possible, not for money’s sake, but for interest and competition.

I know it would be a logistical nightmare…but thoughts?
My preference is an 8 Team Playoff. Eight teams allow for a surprise team, a team that starts off slow to develop over the course of the season. The field should be composed of Conference Champions Big 10, Big 12, ACC, SEC, and PAC 12, and 3 At-large teams. The current 4 teams with a possible 2 from one conference is BS.

I already think the committee manipulated it to make it impossible in the first round. If Bama and Georgia earn their way into a rerun, the committee washes its hands of it.

Advertisement
How does every week matter when certain team losses get hand waived away because they are "good losses"? Saturday didn't matter because we have a team that lost it's conference championship get in to the final 4 and multiple teams that did win their conference championship who will be sitting home watching.
I can't disagree with this.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back