Something different (a playoff alternative)

Southern Oz

Recruit
I know most of the discussion is around coaching, and fair enough, but I want to talk the playoff for a bit here. This is going to get a little weird, but stay with me.

I don’t want to see a Bama vs UGA championship game. We have just seen it. Don’t make them play it again. Bama won, let’s move on and not have a repeat. Which brings me to my suggestion.

I am suggesting that the national championship deciding games are different every year based on the makeup of the teams and the games that have been played. To me a 4 team playoff doesn’t need to happen THIS year.
It should be Michigan vs Cincy, winner plays Bama in the championship game. So a 3 team playoff is the best solution for THIS year. In other years it might be a 4 team playoff, or an 8 team or some other variation.

A committee gets together and makes the best scenario possible, not for money’s sake, but for interest and competition.

I know it would be a logistical nightmare…but thoughts?

Advertisement
There is a danger in making arbitrary changes to the system that down the line we wouldn't like.

I would like to see an 8 team playoff though.

Advertisement
I know most of the discussion is around coaching, and fair enough, but I want to talk the playoff for a bit here. This is going to get a little weird, but stay with me.

I don’t want to see a Bama vs UGA championship game. We have just seen it. Don’t make them play it again. Bama won, let’s move on and not have a repeat. Which brings me to my suggestion.

I am suggesting that the national championship deciding games are different every year based on the makeup of the teams and the games that have been played. To me a 4 team playoff doesn’t need to happen THIS year.
It should be Michigan vs Cincy, winner plays Bama in the championship game. So a 3 team playoff is the best solution for THIS year. In other years it might be a 4 team playoff, or an 8 team or some other variation.

A committee gets together and makes the best scenario possible, not for money’s sake, but for interest and competition.

I know it would be a logistical nightmare…but thoughts?
It’s called
Super League Money GIF by Anderson .Paak
Pay Day Money GIF by MOST EXPENSIVEST
GIF by Showtime
Pay Day Money GIF

Advertisement
Id love to see at least 8, all P5 conference champs get in, 3 at large. First round, the top 4 teams play at home. Then finish the last 4 with bowls like we do now.

I think the NCAA is leaving a lot of money on the table not doing this. Month long football playoffs like March madness.

Honestly, I think you're on to something. In fact, using people to decide the top teams is just too biased. Look at how many times Bama Clemsonand Ohio st. Are there. Too subjective. We should come up with a formula that computers can use to determine the top teams.

It shouldn't be four teams either because, like in the example you posted above, Alabama already smoked UGA. They have no chance in another meeting. The computers should only decide the top 2. And they could play in a bowl game for the championship. A series of bowls could host the championship that rotates every year.

Yeah, that would work great. I just wonder what we would call it?

Advertisement
Bama and UGA in the Championship. It's going to happen. Just accept it. I think it will be much closer this time tho.

I really do not like the idea of an 8 team playoff. This year a team like O$U would have made it in after such a bad season by their standards and expectations. And part of the reason the Michigan win was so glorious was that they knew it knocked them off the pedestal and ended their season.

I rather we just go back to the old system of bowls when waking up on New Year's Day there were five or six must see games throught the day. (But I know this will never happen.)

I want a system where the champions of the P5 conferences are in. That makes winning your conference critical. Then one at-large team from the non P5 champions. Again, win your conference. Then One wild-card to be used to fix some "problem" linke UGa this year or if Cincy and say Fresno State go undefeated and beat a big dog. The two "best" teams get byes and are in different halfs of the draw. You can not be a top 2 seed without winning your conference championship. So, Bama and UGa play in the semi-final or Uga has to beat the other top seed in the semi to play Bama in the final...............I suspect the small schools will get hammered in the first games so actually having to play them is not really a big burden for the 3 and 4 seeds.

Advertisement
I want a system where the champions of the P5 conferences are in. That makes winning your conference critical. Then one at-large team from the non P5 champions. Again, win your conference. Then One wild-card to be used to fix some "problem" linke UGa this year or if Cincy and say Fresno State go undefeated and beat a big dog. The two "best" teams get byes and are in different halfs of the draw. You can not be a top 2 seed without winning your conference championship. So, Bama and UGa play in the semi-final or Uga has to beat the other top seed in the semi to play Bama in the final...............I suspect the small schools will get hammered in the first games so actually having to play them is not really a big burden for the 3 and 4 seeds.
I get that I am generally catching heat here. And this wasn’t a genuine option…but I can respond to this one.

I don’t like the 8 team playoff. I loved the fact that cfb isn’t a tournament type sport. Every week matters.
When was the last time 8 teams were genuine contenders? I don’t think it has ever happened. So it will lead to blowouts in the first round. I don’t want that.
I also hate the retro fitting of bowl games. You have a semi final and then mash the two teams into a game they often have no connection too.
If you are going to go tournament, get rid of the bowls.
If you are going bowls, get rid of the tournament.

Just some thoughts. I get that it is all about money, so they are trying to do both.

8 is perfect. Anything more than 8 is a participation trophy and stupid.
based on what? you want change just not to much change? They should go all out with it. 12 provides another week of off the chart entertainment for all football fans, increases revenue, player and school exposure, and the media will eat it up. Top 4 teams get a bye so the top 4 is still critical and all current discussions around that would not change. Since the top 4 get byes, it lessons the potential for blowouts in round 1 while allowing others an opportunity to compete, including teams that got off to a rocky start then got hot.

You won't like this but forget who the coach was for a sec.. What if Miami went 10-3 after losing to Bama and MSU with banged up King. Team the rides behind a new QB and wins out but loses in ACC title game to say the 2019 Clemson team 31-30. So you have a hot team with a new QB that got off to a bad start due to injuries but could not pullout the upset of the a lifetime? Such a team I would want to see in a playoff and you would watch and you would lose your **** if they won a game or 2. So cut the crap and move into the current century.

There is nothing better than march madness and 4 weeks of college playoffs would get this sport to the same place.

based on what? you want change just not to much change? They should go all out with it. 12 provides another week of off the chart entertainment for all football fans, increases revenue, player and school exposure, and the media will eat it up. Top 4 teams get a bye so the top 4 is still critical and all current discussions around that would not change. Since the top 4 get byes, it lessons the potential for blowouts in round 1 while allowing others an opportunity to compete, including teams that got off to a rocky start then got hot.

You won't like this but forget who the coach was for a sec.. What if Miami went 10-3 after losing to Bama and MSU with banged up King. Team the rides behind a new QB and wins out but loses in ACC title game to say the 2019 Clemson team 31-30. So you have a hot team with a new QB that got off to a bad start due to injuries but could not pullout the upset of the a lifetime? Such a team I would want to see in a playoff and you would watch and you would lose your **** if they won a game or 2. So cut the crap and move into the current century.

There is nothing better than march madness and 4 weeks of college playoffs would get this sport to the same place.
Y u mad bro. Relax lol

I really do not like the idea of an 8 team playoff. This year a team like O$U would have made it in after such a bad season by their standards and expectations. And part of the reason the Michigan win was so glorious was that they knew it knocked them off the pedestal and ended their season.

I rather we just go back to the old system of bowls when waking up on New Year's Day there were five or six must see games throught the day. (But I know this will never happen.)
If Major League baseball did that the Braves don't win the World Series this year. We accept in every other sport that the team that gets hot at the right time wins the playoffs and is the best. And it isn't always the team that's actually the best according to "eye tests" or even records. Dodgers would have been Georgia and Atlanta would have been Pitt, with the narrative the NL East was a terrible division.

We've had wild card teams win the Superbowl.

Everyone remembers NC State and Villanova (well if you're in your 50's like me). You play those games a hundred times and they probably lose 95.

Advertisement
Back