Someone explain this defensive formation to me please

It was the one play the rok pointed out. The next play McCord was part of a 4-man front that had 6 in the box. Howard was the boundary corner.

And where the **** have you been for the other 2,392 other retarded pre snap looks we've had during D'Onfrio's tenure? Scheme is an abomination.

Advertisement
It was the one play the rok pointed out. The next play McCord was part of a 4-man front that had 6 in the box. Howard was the boundary corner.

And where the **** have you been for the other 2,392 other retarded pre snap looks we've had during D'Onfrio's tenure? Scheme is an abomination.

So we're clear. As long as you agree with the theme of the thread you can post something that is factually incorrect and should be immune from correction. Not only that you'll get a couple of people running to your defense.

"Somebody who knew a lot about X's and O's wouldn't have a pass rushing OLB/DE covering slot WR's on two consecutive plays that led to first downs like Corch D does."

That wasn't what happened in this instance. Abomination of scheme be damned. He's also an *******. So ***'em

So we're clear. As long as you agree with the theme of the thread you can post something that is factually incorrect and should be immune from correction. Not only that you'll get a couple of people running to your defense.

"Somebody who knew a lot about X's and O's wouldn't have a pass rushing OLB/DE covering slot WR's on two consecutive plays that led to first downs like Corch D does."

That wasn't what happened in this instance. Abomination of scheme be damned. He's also an *******. So ***'em

It happened in the louisville game. Do you ever make any worthwhile points or do you just try--and fail--to play gotcha all day?

I'm just kinda confused as to what we're trying to accomplish. What's our identity on defense? Personally i think we're doing too much. Sound defense is sound defense. There's no reason to run a plethora of ****.

K.I.S.S.

Didn't you sit down with Doritos for hours and fell in love with him after he whispered sweet X's and O's nothings in your ear?

You came out of that meeting saying you understood what we were doing and that the players weren't executing.

Here we are two games into the season and it you sound just like the rest of us again.

Glad others noticed this too.

WCD aka CityBoyCane aka Macho is the same dude who defends Swasey bc he was nice to him. It's a shame bc the dude knows football, but his opinion on corches depends on if they give him attention.

I've never even met Swasey, ****.

And since you three stooges "notice" so much, how did you fail to notice the part where i said that D'Onofrio knows his **** but that we may be running too much and/or running certain things at the wrong time? No, you don't remember me saying that, do you?

Advertisement
In all seriousness, I'm interested to know what D'onofrio showed City to have him see the light. Was it only the good plays and the obvious player ****-ups? You know, Highsmith's flute play at FSU last season, Rodgers powering down against FSU a couple seasons back.

Did he avoid all plays where the opposing offenses were in 3+ wide and we stayed in base and walked our LBs out?

I really want to know the type of things that Macho saw as to where he'd come back here in D'onofrios corner. Maybe Golden isn't the only con man on the staff.

Well obviously he didn't show me many bad clips. There were a couple clips that made me scratch my head a bit (which i believe i mentioned in that old thread) but it was nothing super alarming.

All i said was that he knows his **** and that i seen alot of player era on these clips. And again, I'll reiterate this...

Just cause somebody knows X's and O's doesn't mean they know WHEN to run stuff and how to use their personnel. (which I'm pretty sure is something that i said in that thread)

Even after meeting with him i said that are problems could be...

A) We run too much stuff
B) He's not a good teacher
C) He runs stuff at the wrong times

Macho:

I have no doubt he knows Xs and Os. When you're at this level, they all do. What separates the average from the great is the ability to know when to call certain things, overall philosophy and most importantly, putting guys in position to excel in your defense.

In all seriousness, I'm interested to know what D'onofrio showed City to have him see the light. Was it only the good plays and the obvious player ****-ups? You know, Highsmith's flute play at FSU last season, Rodgers powering down against FSU a couple seasons back.

Did he avoid all plays where the opposing offenses were in 3+ wide and we stayed in base and walked our LBs out?

I really want to know the type of things that Macho saw as to where he'd come back here in D'onofrios corner. Maybe Golden isn't the only con man on the staff.

Well obviously he didn't show me many bad clips. There were a couple clips that made me scratch my head a bit (which i believe i mentioned in that old thread) but it was nothing super alarming.

All i said was that he knows his **** and that i seen alot of player era on these clips. And again, I'll reiterate this...

Just cause somebody knows X's and O's doesn't mean they know WHEN to run stuff and how to use their personnel. (which I'm pretty sure is something that i said in that thread)

Even after meeting with him i said that are problems could be...

A) We run too much stuff
B) He's not a good teacher
C) He runs stuff at the wrong times

This has been debated back and forth on this board for over a year. Golden and D'Ono most definitely know Xs and Os and defensive concepts. It's their unwillingness to adjust from what they believe will work that has been a bigger concern. At least for me. They have a specific philosophy and believe they can make it work. It scared me to death starting 2 years ago and haven't seen anything that lessens that fear.

It's interesting to me that we have a HC/DC that run what they believe will work no matter what the scenario, and an OC that seems too afraid of what actually works to call an effective play twice in one game...

Advertisement
How Tennessee chose to defend Arkansas St. play by play.

[video=youtube;zbwmjXF6RZA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbwmjXF6RZA[/video]

It's interesting to me that we have a HC/DC that run what they believe will work no matter what the scenario, and an OC that seems too afraid of what actually works to call an effective play twice in one game...

And we have just enough talent to squeeze out 8 wins and keep the #CanesFam sect happy because they only care about tailgating.

And we have just enough talent to squeeze out 8 wins and keep the #CanesFam sect happy because they only care about tailgating.

That's actually been my biggest fear for this coaching staff - not that they'll be so bad they'll be replaced, but that they'll be just good enough to stay on the hook for the next decade or so. I call it "Richt-ification."

Yeah and to take it a step further....Both our coordinators are bad, like really BAD, but they are BAD for different reasons.

I firmly believe Coley is just incompetent when it comes to X's and O's. The route combinations and WHO runs the given routes just drives me insane sometimes. Also, it just feels like down and distance are not taken into account as to WHEN he runs some of the plays he calls. I've said it many times...I like Coley's personality and think he has a future in COACHING, just not as a coordinator. He's not an tactician in any way, shape, or form.

I'll take everyone's word for it that Onfrio knows X's and O's. So if that is the case...he just has no FEEL for in game management and generally speaking, displays a huge deficiency in the area of "thinking on your feet." Maybe he'd be great doing coaching tutorials...but the fact of the matter is knowing WHEN to call something is just as important as knowing WHAT each defense does.

Either way...I challenge anyone to find another school in America with a worse set of coordinators. It simply doesn't exist....and that's ALL on Al. One of his main jobs is making sure he surrounds himself with good tacticians...and he has failed miserably in that regard.

Advertisement
Macho:

I have no doubt he knows Xs and Os. When you're at this level, they all do. What separates the average from the great is the ability to know when to call certain things, overall philosophy and most importantly, putting guys in position to excel in your defense.

All true and great points. Having a feel for the game can not be overstated. It separates above average coaches from true masterminds of the game.

I agree in that we do entirely too much stuff defensively. It's the jack of all trades master of absolutely nothing defense. Simplify. Find something we can execute consistently out of a two deep shell look and keep the front (balanced) simple too.

Macho:

All true and great points. Having a feel for the game can not be overstated. It separates above average coaches from true masterminds of the game.

I agree in that we do entirely too much stuff defensively. It's the jack of all trades master of absolutely nothing defense. Simplify. Find something we can execute consistently out of a two deep shell look and keep the front (balanced) simple too.

Doesn't Randy Shannon fit the description of the defensive coordinator you are describing? I'm not passing judgment on Randy or 'Onfrio but simply asking the question. Sounds like you prefer a Shannon-type defense. I do as well although it was prone to getting gashed by crossing routes, TEs and QB draws.

Macho:

Doesn't Randy Shannon fit the description of the defensive coordinator you are describing? I'm not passing judgment on Randy or 'Onfrio but simply asking the question. Sounds like you prefer a Shannon-type defense. I do as well although it was prone to getting gashed by crossing routes, TEs and QB draws.

Yes. During the early years, Shannon basically ran a wide nine front. An attacking, disruptive scheme joined with man-2 coverage. Best of both worlds.

Problem was that Shannon didn't have a sister zone coverage to compliment man-2.

Give me Shannon's front and base out of cover-4. Vary the techniques...hard: inside, outside and locked. Mixed with some cvr-2, cvr-5 (1/4, 1/4, 1/2), and inverted-2.

Keep the checks and fronts minimal. Gotta be able to play man under, though, as cover-1 is a must.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back