Some thoughts on the Toledo game...

I'm sorry to beat a dead horse, but this team averaged 10 yards per carry on this team and only ran the ball 24 times. Right now they are in the bottom 10 in the nation in apg. That is atrocious. Its why you get a 35m-23m TOP difference. More often then not, you give a team an extra 12 minutes, they are going to find ways to score. Even a team like Toledo that is clearly talented to a point.

Dee Delaney is an absolute liability right now. Two inferior teams eyed him up like a steak and couldn't stop salivating and he's gotten beaten like a drum in both games. Bandy and Young should be out there outsnapping him.

I have little confidence that we can do what we need to do to beat Florida State, Virginia Tech...too much slop through two games. Relying too much on the big play. Those will be games we need to grind out.

This

Those big plays wont be there too often those games will be grinds.......Walton has to be a complete animal and Richards

Advertisement
Whats the purpose of playing press coverage if you're going to allow the receiver to just run by you w/o disrupting their rout or timing?

Last edited:
Whats the purpose of playing press coverage if you're going to allow the receiver to just run by you w/o disrupting their rout or timing?

Diaz is a chalkboard champion.

In practice his zone blitz spot drop scheme gets eaten alive by proficient passing teams and has every stop hes corched at.

Miami D backs played closer to the line in the second half than the first half. Still didn't see jamming of receivers at the the LOS. DB were confused between playing zone or man, especially in first half. Second half, DB played closer to the line, and less blitz by defense; therefore, led to better overall D numbers in second half.

Advertisement
Delany is clearly a problem. BC and Toledo WRs spun him around like a top. Time to let someone else have a chance.

BC and Toledo both played a quick passing game to somewhat neutralize Miami's pass rush. The LBs took poor angles and missed more than a few tackles.

Manny has some work to do.

We need a playmaker to step up on Defense. What Im seeing now after 2 games is we really only have 2 true corners we can play right now with Bandy and Young. Dean would be the third option. Jackson and Delaney just don't have the hips that are ideal to be good field corners. They do have plenty of athleticism to be utilized though within a scheme. Throw Redwine, Delaney, Jackson, Finley and Carter in a bag and we have 5 players with very similar skill sets. Diaz has to figure out his best scheme without 3 linebackers on the field. We will play many teams that will eat 3 linebackers up. I don't believe McCloud played at all in the second half, thats how bad he was in the first half. that's on Diaz, he needs to get him going. There is no need to start calling any 1 player trash, this is not on the players. Richt and Diaz have to really find a way to utilize what they have and stop asking players to execute what they can't.

Joe Jackson was a no show today. He should have feasted today. Garvin did nothing, Norton has done nothing in 2 games. RJ, Moten and Harris showed up today. DJ Johnson had about 2 snaps I saw

Advertisement
Joe Jackson was a no show today. He should have feasted today. Garvin did nothing, Norton has done nothing in 2 games. RJ, Moten and Harris showed up today. DJ Johnson had about 2 snaps I saw

U cant get sacks when the ball is out of the qb hand as soon as he snaps it. Diaz scheme has been **** poor the last two games.

Please bring me Tyson Campbell Josh Jobe Gurvan Hall for next year. Those 3 are playing a ton next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advertisement

Joe jackson had a sack, several tackles and some pressures

This game was a tale of two halves. I do not understand why Diaz has a fetish of 3LBs vs 4WRs. Too often the guy in the slot would run 5-7 yards untouched and end up gaining close to 10-15 yards. Outside Delaney this is entirely schematic. What I noticed in the second half was Perry played a lot and he had some decent moments in coverage. Plus Delaney saw the field less as well. We fared well against the run outside the QB breaking containment on the pocket. But I was impressed how the defense responded in the second half. Allowing one TD drive, the other was created by that horrible pick, was a good answer to the horrendous first half. Hopefully playing next week as opposed to three weeks can help the defense play less tentatively.

The offense has scary potential. They scored 52 points without Ahmmon Richards and Walton only playing one half. Rosier has good moxie and he can be a difference maker the more comfortable he becomes. Walton is freaking stud too. Probably the best back we've had since Gore. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets close to 2,000 yards this season. If they play like they did in the second half all the time that's a very dangerous team. First half it could be an ugly and long year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Advertisement
Believe it or not I think it's clear at this point that we are an OFFENSIVE team. We've got a good QB (yes, I said it), above average O Line, good receivers, and a great running back (with a pretty decent back up).

We were all guilty of SERIOUSLY overrating our defense. The D Line is nowhere near as good as we all thought and our secondary is borderline trash. You combine the inability to get pressure on the opposing QB's while just rushing 4 lineman with substandard corner back talent and we are going to be subjected to a TON of shootouts this year.

Doesn't mean we aren't going to have a good season....all I'm saying is get use to what you saw today. Our offense is going to carry us this year.

Joe jackson had a sack, several tackles and some pressures

Well, according to the official stats of the game, he didn't have a sack or a TFL. What was his official "pressures" for the game. while he had tackles he had no impact on the game. Jackson isn't there to have tackles, he is there to wreak havoc in backfields. All i hear is that he is three and gone, like many of our players but he can't dominate Toledo. Toledo is a game Jackson should feast on and he didn't.

the defense is disappointing but not really surprising. I rewatched last years games several times in the off season and came away very unimpressed with diaz. Tipped balls and corn elder masked alot of it. i haven't seen as many tipped balls this year and we don't have a corner that can lock down his side of the field in the run or pass game. it looked like both sides came out expecting to run garbage scrimmage plays and sleep walk to an easy victory without showing anything. richt made some adjustments, diaz not so much. i dont think the defense played any better in the second half, toledo just shot themselves in the foot more. if they don't have as many unforced errors this game is a 49-45 type affair. i was so wrong in my expectations, i thought our games would be of the 20-13 score variety. looks like we'll have to score early and often to get to 9-2. but unless diaz has a long hard look in the mirror and seeks council jimbo/fedora/fuente will abuse miami while he's here.

Advertisement
Back