Some thoughts on the Toledo game...

k9cane

Senior
ok, some good, some bad and some ugly...( and I preface everything knowing that this team has had a very disjointed schedule with the hurricane, etc, so timing and practice issues are certainly a factor

- This offensive will be inconsistent and at the same time explosive. Today was a great example of that. But IMO, if Richt just allows Rosier(for whatever shortcomings he has) to throw on early downs and not put him in 3rd and longs consistently, and play at a quick tempo, this unit can be very fun and productive. Walton has really turned the corner( I mean, how bout those jump cuts?) and Homer is a great 2nd back. Real playmakers outside(especially when Richards is back) and Herndon. Rosier giveth and Roiser taketh but under the right circumstances this offense can go with him.

And Berrios, I know he takes a ton of heat here but I'll say it again, let him play slot and run those specific patterns(and not go routes on the outside) this can be a real weapon in between the hashes. Here's hoping this continues.

But I give Rosier credit, he was great in the 2nd half outside of that horrible INT. He got rid of the ball quickly, made solid decision and was accurate. The guys outside got the ball and got chunk plays.

- But this defense has been very underwhelming on a couple of fronts. Yeah, we miss last years NFL secondary. I thought we'd be OK, but this is a unit that has really struggled and they are what they are. Dee(minus) Delaney is a plodder and my feeling is lets get the 4 best athletes out there regardless of class. So that means more Bandy, Carter, etc, let it be. Also, tackling out in space was poor today( but again, the lack of practices are probably a factor here)

- Another alarming trend -and I give Toledo credit, they have a nice system with a good QB and WR's - but the defense couldn't get off the field on 3rd downs and it was frustrating to see the slot guy get open - or be uncovered time and time again. Without a few drops from the Rockets, and this game could've been different. But Manny Diaz has some 'splaining to do.

Hey, a win is a win and Toledo is a solid club. They got it done under difficult circumstances and now the program/team can get back into a sense of normalcy which I think should be helpful. But I can't lie, the defense(especially the back-end) really concerns me.

Regardless, great to have Miami football back, it felt like months since we had seen them play.

Advertisement
ok, some good, some bad and some ugly...( and I preface everything knowing that this team has had a very disjointed schedule with the hurricane, etc, so timing and practice issues are certainly a factor

- This offensive will be inconsistent and at the same time explosive. Today was a great example of that. But IMO, if Richt just allows Rosier(for whatever shortcomings he has) to throw on early downs and not put him in 3rd and longs consistently, and play at a quick tempo, this unit can be very fun and productive. Walton has really turned the corner( I mean, how bout those jump cuts?) and Homer is a great 2nd back. Real playmakers outside(especially when Richards is back) and Herndon. Rosier giveth and Roiser taketh but under the right circumstances this offense can go with him.

And Berrios, I know he takes a ton of heat here but I'll say it again, let him play slot and run those specific patterns(and not go routes on the outside) this can be a real weapon in between the hashes. Here's hoping this continues.

But I give Rosier credit, he was great in the 2nd half outside of that horrible INT. He got rid of the ball quickly, made solid decision and was accurate. The guys outside got the ball and got chunk plays.

- But this defense has been very underwhelming on a couple of fronts. Yeah, we miss last years NFL secondary. I thought we'd be OK, but this is a unit that has really struggled and they are what they are. Dee(minus) Delaney is a plodder and my feeling is lets get the 4 best athletes out there regardless of class. So that means more Bandy, Carter, etc, let it be. Also, tackling out in space was poor today( but again, the lack of practices are probably a factor here)

- Another alarming trend -and I give Toledo credit, they have a nice system with a good QB and WR's - but the defense couldn't get off the field on 3rd downs and it was frustrating to see the slot guy get open - or be uncovered time and time again. Without a few drops from the Rockets, and this game could've been different. But Manny Diaz has some 'splaining to do.

Hey, a win is a win and Toledo is a solid club. They got it done under difficult circumstances and now the program/team can get back into a sense of normalcy which I think should be helpful. But I can't lie, the defense(especially the back-end) really concerns me.

Regardless, great to have Miami football back, it felt like months since we had seen them play.

We can win with Rosier, for all his flaws, the guy is a leader and he's got stones. Came out of the half down 6 and it felt like he wanted the ball in his hands. Even after the pick he immediately delivered some nice throws and a TD drive. I know its only Toledo, and I'm not satisfied with his performance, but I am encouraged.

We really need those DBs in the 2018 class. Who would've known that the defense would be the liability over the offense. That secondary is scary bad.

I hope a reporter asks Manny why he wouldn't get out of the base defense? This was the most concerning thing I saw throughout the game.

We really need those DBs in the 2018 class. Who would've known that the defense would be the liability over the offense. That secondary is scary bad.

Outside of Delaney, I wasn't too mad at the secondary. Yea they could have played better, but it seemed more to me to be a problem with the scheme.

Advertisement

My worry before the season started there just not fast at all...........Young and Bandy are players. QB still concerns me as well when real comp starts I dont like Malik against an ACC schedule he better change my mind but thats where Im leaning at right now........SHOW ME

I'm more worried about the defense. They now have allowed a FCS and non power 5 offense pick them apart; more specifically, Dee Delaney. Teams are literally looking for his side. Michael Jackson had a bad coverage moment as well, but this falls on Diaz and Rumph. You yank him out. Bandy, a true freshman, has better collegiate feel at playing DB then a 5th year senior. You can't tell me Dean is worst than Delaney. He's the weak link. I need the def to catch up to the offense, and I need the offense to play a complete game...not just halves.

Outside of Delaney, I wasn't too mad at the secondary. Yea they could have played better, but it seemed more to me to be a problem with the scheme.

I can agree with this....delany is trash but Diaz has to do something about his defensive play calling. It was no different than the BS I saw from ohnofrio vs Maryland in 2011.

I agree. Young and Bandy are decent corners, but after that it's down hill. Jackson's been mediocre and Delaney has been a disappointment thus far. Every single recruit we have in the '18 class is now critical to keep.

Advertisement

It was both scheme and personnel........I would not put these dbs in zone too often

Delaney is a liability. Young, Jackson, Bandy are solid. Not spectacular, but solid. Safeties look meh. Delaney is just ****, I'm sorry. It's not him needing to adjust, although he ****ed up his assignment a few times today. His problem is he's woefully not athletic.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

I hope a reporter asks Manny why he wouldn't get out of the base defense? This was the most concerning thing I saw throughout the game.

I assume that was about not being able to switch personnel due to the pace of Toledo's offense. That said, he's got to figure out how to not get victimised that way.

I'm more worried about the defense. They now have allowed a FCS and non power 5 offense pick them apart; more specifically, Dee Delaney. Teams are literally looking for his side. Michael Jackson had a bad coverage moment as well, but this falls on Diaz and Rumph. You yank him out. Bandy, a true freshman, has better collegiate feel at playing DB then a 5th year senior. You can't tell me Dean is worst than Delaney. He's the weak link. I need the def to catch up to the offense, and I need the offense to play a complete game...not just halves.

That kid we all knew was a player period, str8 dog. And thats what we have coming in 18 if we close...........if we dont we in serious trouble cause guys like hall jobe tyson are irreplaceable

Advertisement

Relly, I really want to needs to be fulfilled.

Advertisement
I'm sorry to beat a dead horse, but this team averaged 10 yards per carry on this team and only ran the ball 24 times. Right now they are in the bottom 10 in the nation in apg. That is atrocious. Its why you get a 35m-23m TOP difference. More often then not, you give a team an extra 12 minutes, they are going to find ways to score. Even a team like Toledo that is clearly talented to a point.

Dee Delaney is an absolute liability right now. Two inferior teams eyed him up like a steak and couldn't stop salivating and he's gotten beaten like a drum in both games. Bandy and Young should be out there outsnapping him.

I have little confidence that we can do what we need to do to beat Florida State, Virginia Tech...too much slop through two games. Relying too much on the big play. Those will be games we need to grind out.

Last edited:

DB talent won't matter if we continue to get outnumbered on the outside. Diaz isn't doing these guys any favors.

Advertisement
Back