Some thoughts on practice

View as article
this is like the 3000th year in a row that we hear "the team is bigger and stronger than last year"

This is the truth.

At least this year Golden is actually tossing out some weight room numbers about the players improvement to back it up. We always heard that the team looked bigger during the RS years, but I don't recall ever hearing how many guys went from lifting x amount then to x amount now.

Advertisement
This year maybe we can believe it? When Chick was on the signing day coverage he did look bigger. I will reserve judgement until I see them with pads on.

Son of a ***** I know we're going 7-5 but I'm starting to get excited and play the irrational "what-if" game in my head already..... love spring.

Advertisement
All this QB talk is very encouraging. Comparisons to Dorsey and Jacory vs arm strength for Williams sounds all good. I would really like to see another Steve Walsh type IMO. Smart, good reads and just got the job done.

I thought Ladarius Gunter looked pretty good from what I saw. Good smooth athlete for a guy that big. Hopefully we can plug him in right away.

The difference is, this year the numbers actually bear it out.

We have 20+ guys who can rep 225 at least 20 times.

10+ guys who can rep it 30 times.

Those are objective measures.

The difference is, this year the numbers actually bear it out.

We have 20+ guys who can rep 225 at least 20 times.

10+ guys who can rep it 30 times.

Those are objective measures.

actually 30 guys repping 225lbs 20x and 6 guys repping 225lbs 30x. but your point is still legit.

Advertisement
Brandon Mcgee needs to step his game up... glad to hear these guys are putting forth the effort in the gym. now we are getting bigger and more athletic. I like what I am hearing. Just hope all this work will transfer to the field. I am con concerned about the D & O lines. Thats where we need our biggest improvement. Miami got a ton of athletism on both sides but if the guys in the trenches cant produce... we wont do much this season... I am hoping we are ready. Cant wait for the season though. I hope the freshmen are getting in that weight room as well. Hope they are on a program.

-
- Rashawn Scott made most of the big plays that were made. During one-on-ones, he made a great adjustment on an underthrown ball, went up and over Brandon McGee and walked into the end zone. Later, he made the catch of the day on a twisting, full-extension grab of a Ryan Williams deep ball down the sideline. Thomas Finnie was all over him and he still made the catch. Scott also caught a corner TD from Preston Dewey during red zone work.

1st dividend on my prediction that Rashaun Scott is the biggest surprise of the 2012 season. This kid has skillz that our fanbase is not yet aware of.

Advertisement
I think the problem is that people see certain kids get bigger and say, "our team is bigger and stronger than last year." Undoubtedly, a kid that goes from a 17 year old high schooler to an 18 year old freshman to an eventual 21 year old junior is going to continue to get bigger during his time at Miami as he grows into his body and goes from a boy to a man. Unfortunately, in years past, while the individual may be getting bigger, he has still been weaker/smaller than his opponent of the same class year.

It does no good to compare one player from last year to this year, outside of ensuring that he is actually progressing. We need to compare what our projected starters are doing compared to other teams' starters to see if there is any actual improvement. If our starting linebacker goes from benching 225 12 times last year to doing it 18 times this year, then that's good improvement. But if Florida State's linebackers are doing it 30 times, then what does that say? (all hypothetical)

We all know we're not strong enough, and it was obvious Golden's primary concern going into this off-season. I still think it is something that will not be fully realized until we go into the 2013 season, but it's great that it's become a primary focus of this staff.

Advertisement
Son of a ***** I know we're going 7-5 but I'm starting to get excited and play the irrational "what-if" game in my head already..... love spring.

I think we all go through this. I do feel like even if we struggle in 2012 we are at least headed in the right direction finally, after a decade toiling in mediocrity.

Advertisement
Back