(Some thoughts on) DJ Scaife

MS11

Freshman
Just watching some tape from last year and clips from this year's practice, I think he can be a dominant guard that can get drafted quite high. The move to guard now makes him a plus athlete at the position whereas at tackle you could see he had a little trouble with speed/get off at times. The issue is, while he is much better suited for guard, tackle is a question mark and I am actually more worried about Herbert than I am Nelson. Do you guys think the team would be better off if Scaife bumped out to tackle and is pretty solid there or, keep him at his more natural position and have the interior OL a real strength but also having some issues on the outside? I think that first game is going to be imperative to how the season goes OL wise because confidence and continuity are two bigtime keys to successful OLs. I personally hope they keep Scaife at guard but really help out on the edges with chips by the TE or RB and also moving the pocket to combat that issue as well.

Advertisement
You almost scared me with the title man lol. But I think At least for game 1 I want Scaife playing left tackle and move Donaldson to right guard and have Cleveland reed start at left guard. I think We have more quality options at guard then we do at tackle so we Can afford to move scaife. Imo we should ease Nelson in and not rush him to play week 1 vs uf

Just watching some tape from last year and clips from this year's practice, I think he can be a dominant guard that can get drafted quite high. The move to guard now makes him a plus athlete at the position whereas at tackle you could see he had a little trouble with speed/get off at times. The issue is, while he is much better suited for guard, tackle is a question mark and I am actually more worried about Herbert than I am Nelson. Do you guys think the team would be better off if Scaife bumped out to tackle and is pretty solid there or, keep him at his more natural position and have the interior OL a real strength but also having some issues on the outside? I think that first game is going to be imperative to how the season goes OL wise because confidence and continuity are two bigtime keys to successful OLs. I personally hope they keep Scaife at guard but really help out on the edges with chips by the TE or RB and also moving the pocket to combat that issue as well.

He is a guard all day in my opinion...we have projects at tackle spots but may had to put DJ out there. Gonna be a long year on OLine imo.

Advertisement
The position I've been most concerned with above all is at RT.

I'm not worried about Zion at LT despite him being a TF because he's a naturally country strong kid from South Carolina, a state that quietly produces some really great freak athletes on the regular (Kevin Garnett, Ray Allen, Robert Porcher, Levon Kirkland, John Abraham, AJ Green, Alshon Jeffery, DeAndre Hopkins, Jadeveon Clowney, Stephon Gilmore, Jonathan Joseph, DJ Swearinger & a bunch others, and of course most recently Zion Williamson & Ja Morant. Even right now for the 2020 class the #1 ranked player in the nation is a DE from South Carolina.)

The point being, Zion Nelson imo is a kid that will maturate into the LT spot & will develop into a legit full time starter due to his natural ability & rapid wildfire growth. He's shown he can move & does a good job engaging with pass rushers & can anchor.

Herbert on the other hand is the one I'm not so confident about. His footwork vs speed rushers has always needed serious work. He does well in the run game when he has to move forward & get to the 2nd level of the defense, it's his pass protection that will be the big question mark.

I'm gonna trust that Coach Barry obviously chose him at that spot because he's seen enough from him to feel he fits best there & hope he's improved his technique.

I've always felt Scaife projects best at Guard but is also good enough to be a very good Tackle as well. If need be, I think we could move him to RT if Herbert struggles, but we'll have to see how it works out.

As of now, I'm just hoping we have a steady 5 that has built continuity & will be enough to hold up throughout the season. We've played musical chairs on the OL for too many years as of recent & that's the one area of this team that we must get right if we ever plan on turning this thing around & become a contending team.

Advertisement
I’d rather us not have multiple holes on the OL so keep Scaife inside at OG along with Gaynor at C and Donaldson as the other OG. I think those 3 can get good push versus the Gayturd DT’s as such that we’ll be able to climb to their 2nd level and give Cam and DJ plenty of room to run. Add in Irvin III at one of the end spots helping to chip and I think we can negate their DL. If it becomes Martell at QB, that adds another dimension for Graham to have to contend with running out of the backfield on passing downs. Get Tate going on the ground can really bring those safeties up further into the box for some nice seam routes from Mallory and/or Jordan. That, and crossing routes which they are saying Tate is throwing in stride now. Whoever wins out at QB is going to have take off a few times to keep their defense honest. A quick 20yd run and some quick tempo and I think we can loosen them up enough to go over the top.

I’d keep him at guard. Maybe because we have a bye week after ufag we kick Scaife to right tackle for that game and then after that get the permanent lineup in place with Scaife at guard. Which is his money position
This is what my alternative would be and I'm not sure yet which one would be best. This is a tough season to start with the best opponent on our schedule. New OC and a bunch of new starters at key positions would have been nice to ease in with the traditional cupcakes to start

I say keep him at guard. I trust these coaches. Not so much the previous regime. And with Nelson out at LT, you folks gotta remember he has been going up against quality talent DE all spring, summer and fall camp. It's not as if the **** DE are going to overwhelm him beyond what our boys put on him. Our RT situation concerns me more.

You almost scared me with the title man lol. But I think At least for game 1 I want Scaife playing left tackle and move Donaldson to right guard and have Cleveland reed start at left guard. I think We have more quality options at guard then we do at tackle so we Can afford to move scaife. Imo we should ease Nelson in and not rush him to play week 1 vs uf
Yeah my bad on the title guys didn't try to make it click baity lol. In your scenario though I would move Scaife to RT. I'm just not as worried about Nelson as I am Herbert. I'm sure Nelson will have some growing pains but he is a legit tackle who will also eliminate rushers at times. I'm not so sure about Herbert though at least from the practice clips I've seen he still has quite a ways to go technique wise which is key for him because he isn't an elite athlete at all. Nelson on the other hand will be able to get away with a little sloppier technique because his athleticism will allow him to recover. Thing that worries me about him week 1 is Polite is a RS Senior I believe and has an NFL body with long arms as well. I'm just not fully sure how Nelson at 280 will do in hat department

Advertisement
It’s a reason this staff hasn’t touched the starting lineup since fall camp started... because they’re the best 5 o lineman on the team right now.

Zion Nelson has been playing left tackle going up against some of the best DEs in the country on our defense... unless UF has Jadaveon Clowney or Julius Peppers on their team FCK THEM you scary *** mfkrs!! Zion is ready to go up against whoever they have lined up in front of him!! If he wasn’t he would’ve gotten exposed like Tom Kennedy and wouldn’t be a thought in the rotation.

Scaife is playing Guard bc hes the 2nd best Guard on the team.. Herbert is playing Right tackle because the staff trust him more starting at Right tackle than they do Reed or anybody else at Guard besides Scaife.

This is the best 5 no matter who we play so kill all the slow *** message board video game depth chart shuffling bullshxt :rickflair2:

It’s a reason this staff hasn’t touched the starting lineup since fall camp started... because they’re the best 5 o lineman on the team right now.

Zion Nelson has been playing left tackle going up against some of the best DEs in the country on our defense... unless UF has Jadaveon Clowney or Julius Peppers on their team FCK THEM you scary *** mfkrs!! Zion is ready to go up against whoever they have lined up in front of him!! If he wasn’t he would’ve gotten exposed like Tom Kennedy and wouldn’t be a thought in the rotation.

Scaife is playing Guard bc hes the 2nd best Guard on the team.. Herbert is playing Right tackle because the staff trust him more starting at Right tackle than they do Reed or anybody else at Guard besides Scaife.

This is the best 5 no matter who we play so kill all the slow *** message board video game depth chart shuffling bullshxt :rickflair2:
We said the same **** last year about goin* up against great talent blah blah blah then got our asses kicked by LSU’s line and just about all others

Advertisement
The position I've been most concerned with above all is at RT.

I'm not worried about Zion at LT despite him being a TF because he's a naturally country strong kid from South Carolina, a state that quietly produces some really great freak athletes on the regular (Kevin Garnett, Ray Allen, Robert Porcher, Levon Kirkland, John Abraham, AJ Green, Alshon Jeffery, DeAndre Hopkins, Jadeveon Clowney, Stephon Gilmore, Jonathan Joseph, DJ Swearinger & a bunch others, and of course most recently Zion Williamson & Ja Morant. Even right now for the 2020 class the #1 ranked player in the nation is a DE from South Carolina.)

The point being, Zion Nelson imo is a kid that will maturate into the LT spot & will develop into a legit full time starter due to his natural ability & rapid wildfire growth. He's shown he can move & does a good job engaging with pass rushers & can anchor.

Herbert on the other hand is the one I'm not so confident about. His footwork vs speed rushers has always needed serious work. He does well in the run game when he has to move forward & get to the 2nd level of the defense, it's his pass protection that will be the big question mark.

I'm gonna trust that Coach Barry obviously chose him at that spot because he's seen enough from him to feel he fits best there & hope he's improved his technique.

I've always felt Scaife projects best at Guard but is also good enough to be a very good Tackle as well. If need be, I think we could move him to RT if Herbert struggles, but we'll have to see how it works out.

As of now, I'm just hoping we have a steady 5 that has built continuity & will be enough to hold up throughout the season. We've played musical chairs on the OL for too many years as of recent & that's the one area of this team that we must get right if we ever plan on turning this thing around & become a contending team.

I was just telling this somebody yesterday I’d prefer Scaife at rt and I’d slide Reed into guard. I don’t get everyone saying he’s a guard and that’s all, dude played well at tackle , especially since he’s a true Fr. Scaife was arguably our best ol.

Herbert at tackle and a true Fr at the other is very dangerous , I get they’re thinking we’ll firm up the middle with the best guys , then help on the outside. But that’s asking a lot , especially with Herbert being suspect as ****.

Tbh , I’m concerned rolling Zion out there , then adding Herbert to the lineup could make this a real mess. Two newbies on the outside is asking a lot , but we’ll see. I trust Barry.

We said the same **** last year about goin* up against great talent blah blah blah then got our asses kicked by LSU’s line and just about all others

Actually the ol played pretty decent , qb had time and there was good holes opened. Rosier just sucked, and the backups on d allowed a couple big plays and that was game. Oh and feagles giving LSU excellent field position every punt , since he was shanking every ball.

I'm pretty much placing my trust that coach Barry knows which combination is most effective and that the unit just performs better with Scaife at guard and Herbert at Tackle. I'm hoping it's not a situation like we had last year where the original starting 5 was horrible and we ended up having to shuffle guys in and out all season. The fact that they're keeping Zion as the starting LT does show me that Barry will play the best players regardless of experience so that's something positive to point to.

I’m trying to figure out your point bc this isn’t a prediction thread. I’m saying the staff knows who the best 5 olineman on the team are and they’ve been starting since fall camp began. Even if our starting 5 gets pushed around it’s still our best staring 5.

And LSU wasn’t doing anything to our oline that we weren’t doing to theirs equally if not more, our dline was in their backfield all game. They just knew how to execute and we didn’t because our coaching on the offensive side of the ball was worst of all time.

Advertisement
Back