Some things that stood out after watching again.

Sooch

Redshirt Freshman
No surprise to everyone that Kaaya was absolutely fantastic today. Some other things that hit me when I watched the game over again:
- obviously Berrios had a great game but when you really watch it wasn't just his separation but also he really impressed with his hands.
- the running game is a concern. Although Gus and Walton had some moments, you want to see some breakaway runs. Maybe it's still the o line but will have to see over time.
- Shaq was tremendous. Everyone knows that he is physical but I was more impressed with his leadership and composure. He clearly is comfortable in the style of defense.
- the 2nd team rotates a lot of guys at LB and JY did very well. I also liked what I saw from Jamie Gordinier. He was very active around the ball at all times and had two nice solo tackles.
- one of the things that Diaz keeps saying is that the 3 freshman LB's don't have bad habits. What he is referring to is that these other guys were taught completely different by D'Onofrio. They were told to square up to the oncoming O lineman, engage while reading the play and react. Now they just shoot gaps and are told not to touch the o Lineman. Correct me if I am wrong Shaq daddy? The middle guys really only worry about the A and B gaps?
- Willis and Demetrius Jackson were very good out there. Both played mostly with 2nd unit.
- the other big thing that stood out to me is that these incoming freshman WR's are needed badly. Poor Shirrreffs and Allison played with kids that were walk ons.
- I felt bad for Cager on one dropped pass the place erupted in boos but I hope he knows it wasn't for him but rather the FSU fan walking by!!!!!

Advertisement
Jackson was abusing Jahair Jones like a black woman beating her kid at Walmart. He worked him.

Nice touch......

"I felt bad for Cager on one dropped pass the place erupted in boos but I hope he knows it wasn't for him but rather the FSU fan walking by!!!!!"

Advertisement
[MENTION=12706]Sooch[/MENTION] ur correct about shootin the gaps.. and i personnaly have mixed feeling on that...you have to be careful not creating a running lane by avoiding a block...and on the other why dance with a lineman when the ball is going up field

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

So glad Golden's gone so he can't ruin Shaqs career here like all the other stars we had that he ruined.

Tyree St Louis impressed me. He was going against Chad alot and didnt actually get killed....Has good feet and appears in shape..Just need some added strength

-Gauthier didnt look bad at center. Young kid...like to have a switch guy like that.

-Jaquan Johnson is a solid to good player..High IQ..hes a guy that will always be around the ball.

-Willis, D-Jack on that second unit..bring it in the pass rush the department. They get up the field ASAP. D Jack really impressed.

-Berrios looks to be a gamer, we might have to get him the ball at least 4-5 times a game minimum. The thing is..Sam Bruce is coming and Does alot of what Berrios does as well.

-Gus Edwards looks healthy...ran hard.

- The rb in the flats will be a killer...both Yearby and Walton have the best hands of any backs weve had in a while ( i think Yearby has better hands than Duke)

- Pinkney and Shaq. Shaq with his physicality...Pinkney with his speed...your not getting to the outside on him once he sees it. Shaq diagnoses plays quick..and when he hits you..thats pretty much it.

- Zach Mcloud is a big kid...he didnt look bad either...I dont think any of the freshman LBS..redshirt...they are all going to log minutes...with i think maybe two starting until Darrion Owens is back

It would appear Redwine has really taken to rugby style tackling. Look through the thighs, grab, knife the legs, and spin them or drive back for 5 yards. It's the future (for obvious safety reasons) of football. Video after video it seems Redwine most of all has really taken to the technique.

Advertisement
I liked what I saw of the DL, especially AQM. He's a monster. But I want to wait until crowning Willis and D JAx. That 2nd-string OL was horrific. Love the 2-TE sets and the difference makers there. Njoku needs to hold onto the ball. Too many drops, and not just him.

I don't remember many true freshmen LBs doing well on Saturdays. Shaq may be an exception because his dad worked with him on S&C so much, which hardly any HS kid gets. But all of us want to see Owens back in form and Young and Gordinier playing up. We just can't give those TFs too many minutes and be a great football team. I worry about injury to them, too, as their bodies still need to adjust to the physicality of college football.

CB .... ugghh. Everyone complimented Elder for a good game, and I suppose he had one. But he got burnt more than a couple of times. And he was the best. Redwine flashed several times, but looked lost most of the time. Jackson looked lost nearly all of the time. Mayes was ineffective. There is no way this group will be able to get the job done on Saturdays. There's a reason Kaaya exploited the seam routes and underneath all day long, because that's where the cover safety couldn't come down to help the Corner, and they were toasted on a regular basis by the first-string WRs.

I think we'll be fine at RB. Very interested to see who wins out. Each brings something very different to the table. The competition is going to be fierce through August and our weak schedule of early games. Once we hit ACC play, I expect Richt to play 2 guys only except in garbage time.

Really hope DJax gets playing time this year. He was waited for his time and think he can have a very good year. Has lots of nice moves off the edge

Advertisement
Tyree St Louis impressed me. He was going against Chad alot and didnt actually get killed....Has good feet and appears in shape..Just need some added strength

-Gauthier didnt look bad at center. Young kid...like to have a switch guy like that.

-Jaquan Johnson is a solid to good player..High IQ..hes a guy that will always be around the ball.

-Willis, D-Jack on that second unit..bring it in the pass rush the department. They get up the field ASAP. D Jack really impressed.

-Berrios looks to be a gamer, we might have to get him the ball at least 4-5 times a game minimum. The thing is..Sam Bruce is coming and Does alot of what Berrios does as well.

-Gus Edwards looks healthy...ran hard.

- The rb in the flats will be a killer...both Yearby and Walton have the best hands of any backs weve had in a while ( i think Yearby has better hands than Duke)

- Pinkney and Shaq. Shaq with his physicality...Pinkney with his speed...your not getting to the outside on him once he sees it. Shaq diagnoses plays quick..and when he hits you..thats pretty much it.

- Zach Mcloud is a big kid...he didnt look bad either...I dont think any of the freshman LBS..redshirt...they are all going to log minutes...with i think maybe two starting until Darrion Owens is back

Thanks. Do you see Johnson as a difference maker or more a role player?

It would appear Redwine has really taken to rugby style tackling. Look through the thighs, grab, knife the legs, and spin them or drive back for 5 yards. It's the future (for obvious safety reasons) of football. Video after video it seems Redwine most of all has really taken to the technique.

This is the future, Pete Carroll has some great videos on line. Taught the technique to my 10 year olds team last year, takes the head out of the equation, effective tackling. Allows you to practice tackling with more reps and less head banging. We won the championship.

Redwine is much improved..... still a long way to go, especially at closing routes. IMO I haveta admit "at times" he looked technically sound, however with little experience he may not have enough speed to cover the deep ball effeciently ...to his credit..... it doesn't help when your FS leaves you hung out to dry.

Advertisement
For all the guys who thought Bruce was going to walk in and take Berrios's reps right away he just served notice.

And that's good for the program. Bruce will get some time and be a good one here, but if they both can split time and keep each other fresh, it's HUGE for the O.
For all the guys who thought Bruce was going to walk in and take Berrios's reps right away he just served notice.

Jackson was abusing Jahair Jones like a black woman beating her kid at Walmart. He worked him.

Now all we need is half of the white trash in Walmart to buy game tickets instead of cheese puffs and great value soda,
stadium would be sold out every week.

Advertisement
Back