Some observations from the Spring Jamboree at FIU

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator
Al Riveron (Head of NFL Officials and Miami native) put together a referee training event that doubles as a spring jamboree, as dozens of team traveled to FIU to play in a series of half-field scrimmages. Tito Benach and I were in attendance and kept a close eye on several UM prospects. The 2 pm games were cut short by lightening, but there was still plenty of talent on display.

Plantation/Norland
Norland's defense dominated, but the two best prospects in the game were on Plantation's offense. Ravian Pierce is an absolute star. Without the benefit of film, I thought he'd be a thin pass catcher who shied away from contact. I was wrong. He is massive, and he consistently blew up Norland's defensive ends and outside linebackers. His lower-body is very powerful, and he gets pretty good leverage on his blocks for such a tall player. He sought out contact and had several borderline cheap shots where he blew up unsuspecting defenders. He also lined up a bit at defensive end and looked like he could be a major prospect there.

Plantation's passing game struggled, but Chris Lammons hit Pierce on a couple flag routes and a drag that Pierce snagged one-handed. Lammons looked like he looks in his highlights: quick, balanced, and creative with the ball in his hands.

Miramar/Carol City
This was a bloodbath. Both teams had key players out, but Miramar is just a more advanced program right now with superior depth. I had never heard of OLB Kaywon Davis before today, but I know his name now. Excellent acceleration and good size. He was all over Carol City's quarterbacks and covered their slot receivers. Cornerback Jeff Hill is a shorter guy but he had some of the loudest hits of the day.

Hialeah/Northeast
This game was cut short after a couple drives because of lightning. Alin Eduoard was sharp though and connected on several consecutive big plays before the cancellation. His release is very quick and he spins a tight, accurate ball. His throws on the run were particularly impressive. The downside with him is size. He looks about 6'1 tops, and he's skinny. I don't really like him as a runner-- he's not shifty, he's thin and his speed is good not great. His upside is as a pocket passer. Physically he reminds me of Rakeem Cato, a former Miami Central quarterback who is the nation's leading passer for Marshall.

Homestead/Monarch
This game was also canceled early, and Shawn Burgess-Becker didn't play. The usual suspects for Homestead (Lane, Mezier, Hankins) all made plays, but there was a guy I'd never seen before (#6) who looked very dynamic. If anyone knows who he is please let me know.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Number 6 from Homestead is Antonio Calloway "AD" 2015 . He is a very versatile player who plays RB/Slot/CB for us at Homestead. He's opened the eyes of recruiters!!!! Look out for him this upcoming season.

Advertisement
How did lammons look at corner, that's the position were recruiting him at right?

Kaywon Davis is great. Tackling machine. Offers soon to come for sure.

Davis is an athletic kid. Had the fastest time in the first 40yd dash we did this spring period. He is 6'1" 200lbs, with room to grow into that frame. He needs work on his technique at LB, as he is relatively new to the position. Would be a great get for a mid-major/lower BCS conference team.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back