Some names to watch before it’s deleted

Status
Not open for further replies.

My favorite JImmi song. Who do you have as the King? Hank?

Nah, I don’t really have a king. My favorites are simply ppl who I feel like their music is relatable. Hank Jr actually only has around two songs that I like lol. Johnny Cash is more of the king in my eyes over George. George is only considered King bc of his #1 hits, but he is a boring performer. Alan Jackson, Brooks & Dunn are much better imo.

Advertisement
Nah, I don’t really have a king. My favorites are simply ppl who I feel like their music is relatable. Hank Jr actually only has around two songs that I like lol. Johnny Cash is more of the king in my eyes over George. George is only considered King bc of his #1 hits, but he is a boring performer. Alan Jackson, Brooks & Dunn are much better imo.
I meant hank SR. LMAO! I'm a big fan of Sr. Cash is one of my all time favorite country singers. I can't think of a single bad song off his 2 highwaymen albums with Jennings, kristoferson, and Nelson. I agree with your list and personally, I also would add Merle Haggard to your list.

OG’s I grew up on

The DOC
NWA
Beastie Boys

Now

Kendrick (goat of 2010’s)
Durk
Gunna
Future
Pop Smoke (rip)
Moneybag yo
Denzel Curry
Roddy Rich
Trippie Redd (selectively)

I’m a huge fan of Kendrick’s early work. Overly Dedicated, Section.80 and GKMC are all still in rotation for me. Section.80 is probably one of my Top 25 favorite rap albums ever.

But I didn’t love TPAB. And I know that’s probably an unpopular opinion, but the way he switched up his flow on there turned me off. I just couldn’t really fall in love with it, despite the dope instrumentals. **** was alright but again I couldn’t get into it like his earlier stuff.

I really hope whatever his next project is recaptures his original sound.

Advertisement
I meant hank SR. LMAO! I'm a big fan of Sr. Cash is one of my all time favorite country singers. I can't think of a single bad song off his 2 highwaymen albums with Jennings, kristoferson, and Nelson. I agree with your list and personally, I also would add Merle Haggard to your list.
I think Id take Cash over Hank Jr or Sr. Country music was about story telling, and Cash was a great songwriter.

Last edited:
I think Id take Cash over Hank Jr or Sr. Country music was} about story telling, and Cash was a great songwriter.
I would agree with that. If you listen to the earliest recorded country songs. Jimmie Rodgers, Vernon dalhart, Riley Puckett, ALfred Reed, etc. pretty much all of their songs were stories. Either cautionary tales or just current events like the old 97 crashing or the titanic sinking.

Cash is one of the GOAT song writers. I give Sr. credit though since he was one of the first to really popularize country. Jr on the other hand sold a ton of records, but he was one of the driving forces behind this new "pop" country type music that is the antithesis of the story telling old school country.

Just wondering at what point do we send out an APB for Cribby lol
I heard he's hiding out in Alachua County. If so. It's been cold AF up there this winter. His skinny *** has probably been hibernating after all that work he put in on here over the last few months. I hope he's enjoying his well earned sabbatical.

Advertisement
I’m a huge fan of Kendrick’s early work. Overly Dedicated, Section.80 and GKMC are all still in rotation for me. Section.80 is probably one of my Top 25 favorite rap albums ever.

But I didn’t love TPAB. And I know that’s probably an unpopular opinion, but the way he switched up his flow on there turned me off. I just couldn’t really fall in love with it, despite the dope instrumentals. **** was alright but again I couldn’t get into it like his earlier stuff.

I really hope whatever his next project is recaptures his original sound.

GKMC is S tier for me. Probably my favorite album of all time. Maybe a bit biased because I graduated HS that year and it was basically the sound track to my life as a young adult. I would recommend listening to the Dissect podcast on Spotify. Season 1 breaks down Kendrick/GKMC and mostly To Pimp a Butterfly. That podcast really made me appreciate the album more because it breaks down every little subtle meaning behind the lyrics. How much a dollar cost my favorite song from the album.

K dot is just the best story teller along with J Cole from my generation. I like the new rap to just listen to, workout to, but I’m not comparing it to real hip hop story telling like Kendrick.

GKMC is S tier for me. Probably my favorite album of all time. Maybe a bit biased because I graduated HS that year and it was basically the sound track to my life as a young adult. I would recommend listening to the Dissect podcast on Spotify. Season 1 breaks down Kendrick/GKMC and mostly To Pimp a Butterfly. That podcast really made me appreciate the album more because it breaks down every little subtle meaning behind the lyrics. How much a dollar cost my favorite song from the album.

K dot is just the best story teller along with J Cole from my generation. I like the new rap to just listen to, workout to, but I’m not comparing it to real hip hop story telling like Kendrick.
Maxo kream the best story teller of this generation

Advertisement
Advertisement
We would have to start a list of the GOAT Miami rappers. For me, JT Money is at the top

There’s some dope artists out now if you can get past comparing them to the golden era. I like Polo, Lil Baby and Gunna a lot. Rod Wave makes some good music too. Kodak can be hit or miss for me.

I don’t think he’s part of the new generation of rappers but Benny the Butcher should get more love too. So consistent.
King Von was a top tier story teller

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back