Some names to watch before it’s deleted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
What position did John Harbaugh play? What about Mike McDaniel?

Having a “feel for the game” is a requirement now? Lol

And trying to discredit EB from the Chiefs offense is exactly part of the problem right there, Andy Reid has said out his own mouth that EB calls plays & is a viable part of coaching their offense, but yet people have a 100m sprint to take as much credit away from him as possible in order to justify not hiring him.

What offense was Dan Campbell responsible for? When has he ever called plays in his life?

There’s always a moving of the goalposts when it comes to EB, but the reality is it has nothing to do with his qualifications or knowledge of the game.
Dan Campbell is a pretty easy one to look at and say, "how did this guy get a head coaching job?" But I think I can do one better....

How in the name of FACK did Joe Judge get a job? Holy Christ, I have listened to a montage of quotes that rolled out of his sewer trap over the past two seasons and wanted to rip the radio out of my car and swallow it to make it stop. Seriously, are you kidding me?

The euro step if done right isn’t supposed to be traveling. Ginobili can’t have been the first person to have used that in the NBA. I’m not trying to start a conflict, I’m just chewing the fat with you.

I agree; however it’s not done right. Lol.

And yes, Ginoboli introduced American Basketball to The Eurostep. It was popular in European b-ball, but Euro basketball ball rules slightly differ from American basketball, but the NBA game has catered to Euro rules in a lot of ways.

I agree; however it’s not done right. Lol.

And yes, Ginoboli introduced American Basketball to The Eurostep. It was popular in European b-ball, but Euro basketball ball rules slightly differ from American basketball, but the NBA game has catered to Euro rules in a lot of ways.

Just talking here, but manu was definitely not the first euro to play in the NBA. So all the euros before him weren’t using that?

Advertisement
No problem, I always enjoy a good discussion, much respect 💯

And to answer the rest of your question, It does in most professions & and in some aspects I agree with it.

The NFL in particular preaches that its a meritocracy, but it clearly isn’t.

I don’t have a problem with it if they would just say that, but the NFL goes out of their way to pretend as if there’s a fair & square process to their hiring but in reality they just set themselves up for more questions by not just coming out & saying, that the owners of this league hire who they want & they don’t feel as though they should have to explain themselves. Because we all know if they did, it mostly wouldn’t make sense & it would boil down to them either not being as involved as people might think or being too involved & allowing their personal biases to cloud their judgment, which is a very human thing to do, but as a Billionaire can be perceived as counterintuitive to their business profile.

Meaning, they’re very analytical in every other aspect of their business decisions except when it comes to hiring a HC, which oddly enough one would think would be the place to be the most analytical. But it seems when it comes to hiring coaches, all the intelligence flies out the window & comes down to how a coach makes you feel as opposed to his actual ability.

Like Joe Judge for instance, he had never called plays on Offense or Defense in his career & was basically nothing more than a glorified assistant coach, but he got the NY Giants job because he said all the right platitudes in the interview to convince them that he was “the guy”. He wasn’t well qualified, nor was he good at his job & he quite frankly came off as a complete amateur way in order his head (which is why he got fired), but he still got the job the because the people who run the Giants have an affinity for Bill Belichick & think he has some kind of magic dust that makes all his coaches clones of him lol.

A smart multi-Billion dollar well run organization threw all their intelligence, discernment & due diligence out the window when they hired Judge because he gave them the feelies lol. That’s how ridiculous these teams are, they don’t care about anything except “this guy makes me feel like he’s the guy” even when the guy clearly isn’t the guy lol.
I know Mike Mularkey. My sister actually "dated" his son. Mularkey is a good Broward guy. Went to the same high school as Stacy Coley.

All that said, if the NFL hiring practices were anything near a meritocracy then Mike Mularkey would've never been a cot**** 3 TIME head coach (and I'm not necessarily ruling out a 4th opportunity at some point)!

Just talking here, but manu was definitely not the first euro to play in the NBA. So all the euros before him weren’t using that?

Correct; the other Euros that came over revolutionized the game in other ways, namely Big Men shooting the 3 & ball handling. But Ginoboli revolutionized the game by introducing the Eurostep. Matter of fact, me & my frat were at Claims Jumpers when we first saw it, & the refs called traveling. Lol. He was explaining the move them & the rest was history that off season.

Lol, I don’t think it’s that simple.

They don’t mind hiring Black HC’s, they just want a certain type, someone who will do as they’re told & not ask too many questions or won’t challenge the front office on decision making.

Jim Harbaugh didn’t get the Vikings job because he wanted autonomy over player personnel in Free agency & the draft & they wouldn’t relinquish that so they hired O’Connell instead.

It’s not just a race thing, the racial aspect is that owners & front offices generally don’t view Black coaches as being capable of leadership based on their own worldview, but it’s not strictly Black & White in the sense that it has more to do with comfortability/ likability over everything.
So back to Bieniemy, what do you think it is that makes owners 'uncomfortable' with him? Is there an abrasiveness in his personality? A lack of tact? Would ownership feel uncomfortable with being confronted in a non-diplomatic/direct way about matters related to the club? I've personally never heard EB speak, just basing these questions off your categorization of his personality. With the head coach being in large part the face of the franchise, I can understand an owner who isn't comfortable with the way a person presents himself/relates to others (team, media, staff, upper-management) being hesitant to hire that candidate.

Advertisement
Lol, I don’t think it’s that simple.

They don’t mind hiring Black HC’s, they just want a certain type, someone who will do as they’re told & not ask too many questions or won’t challenge the front office on decision making.

Jim Harbaugh didn’t get the Vikings job because he wanted autonomy over player personnel in Free agency & the draft & they wouldn’t relinquish that so they hired O’Connell instead.

It’s not just a race thing, the racial aspect is that owners & front offices generally don’t view Black coaches as being capable of leadership based on their own worldview, but it’s not strictly Black & White in the sense that it has more to do with comfortability/ likability over everything.
I noticed the same thing happens with black qbs..during draft season they start to question their leadership or character and whether they should move to WR..

I know Mike Mularkey. My sister actually "dated" his son. Mularkey is a good Broward guy. Went to the same high school as Stacy Coley.

All that said, if the NFL hiring practices were anything near a meritocracy then Mike Mularkey would've never been a cot**** 3 TIME head coach (and I'm not necessarily ruling out a 4th opportunity at some point)!
NFL hiring practices are a bunch of Mularkey

The euro step if done right isn’t supposed to be traveling. Ginobili can’t have been the first person to have used that in the NBA. I’m not trying to start a conflict, I’m just chewing the fat with you.

Been watching bball regularly since mid to late 80s and I don’t recall anyone else using euro step like he did.

Advertisement
Just throwing **** out there but I’m hoping some of the unintended consequences of the race issue becoming so hot button is that a team might hesitate hiring a black coach for fear they actually can’t fire him without backlash

I mean white or black NFL coaches get fired pretty ******* quickly these days anyway

But just to be clear I think the opposite side of the coin is the clearer bigger issue, just thinking about it from a hiring perspective
For a white owner/GM it is riskier to hire and fire a black coach because of today’s media environment.

It is honestly an interesting use case for how our hypersensitivity around race hurts minorities vying for high profile jobs with high turnover rates

Last edited:
Sure, and many are/. I meant who was the first to really make it big
Wikipedia (fwiw):

The Euro step, two-step, long lateral, or Ginobili Eurostep is a basketball move in which an offensive player picks up their dribble, takes a step in one direction, and then quickly takes a second step in another direction. It is intended to allow the offensive player to evade a defender and attack the basket. Manu Ginobili is often credited with the "Ginobili Eurostep" as the one who introduced the move in the NBA.[1][2]

Advertisement
Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back