Some names to watch before it’s deleted

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are things that are schematically important to any defense, whether we’re pressuring, playing press man coverage or whatever it might be. That’s all in a different library book. The first book you have to read is about relentless effort, physical and mental toughness, and tackling. If you do those three things on defense, you’re well on your way.”

No more playing 10 yards off of receivers? **** yeah!

Advertisement
Is Rodney Garner leaving TENN to be a DE coach? And is Joe S OK just being DT coach?
If we gonna have 2 DL coaches…. that more than anything tells me that we’re going to do more than just be a standard 4 front defense. Of course Mario did say multiple.

Advertisement
tackling you say?

daffy duck masturbation GIF
This!

So it's looking more like this as far as coaching slots:

OC/WR - Gattis
OL - Mirabal
RB - Smith
QB -
TE - (potentially Field)

DC - Steele
DB - Addae
DL/DT - Salave'a
LB -
One of ST/DE/CB/S -
Steele not coaching LBs?

Advertisement
Mario knows the defense is cheeks for the most part. We need as many coaches and recruiters as possible.

Advertisement
I mean is the argument about Herbert that Mario had the wrong offense around him and he should be throwing it 40+ times a game?

Like his stats weren't bad. Senior year he went 286/428 (66.8%) 3,471 yards, 32 td-6int. That is an average of 30 throws per game. In his college career he had over 10,500 yards a 65% completion rate and 95TDs to 23 INT.

COmparing his senior year to the most recent year with the chargers, he went 443/672 (65%) 5,014 yds (less YPC than in college) 38 td-15 int. BUT this is obviously in 17 games. He did average 9 more attempts per game than in college so is that the complaint?

**** his senior year he only lost 2 games. The opener to Auburn by 6 points when the D collapsed and gave up 14 unanswered points in the 4th qt. and the head scratcher 3 point loss to Ariz state where again the D gave up 18 4th qt points, Herbert was off that game as well going 20-36 with 2 td but also 2 pics.

The D “collapsed” against Auburn? They only gave up 27 points.

Oregon lost because the offense only scored 21, including just 7 after the first quarter. That was the collapse.

Oregon’s offense going into the Week 11 in 2019 ranked:

63rd explosive play rate overall

51st Passing

77th rushing

The passing success rate was 17th

The running success rate was 32

Basically, the offensive struggles that year were because it couldn’t generate explosive plays, and Cristobal’s refusal to pass more hurt their down to down efficiency.

32nd isn’t a bad rushing success rate. But it’s still below the passing success rate. And the rushing explosive rate was below the passing.

So if you’re passing plays are both more successful AND explosive than your running plays, why the **** would you try to force feed the run? Of what good is “balance” when one part of your offense is really what’s holding it back?

I thought about that. But I also saw pics of players training on the field, with Mirabal behind them yelling at them. Seemed like the coaches were getting some time on the field.
The players are going to be in a culture shock with this new staff.

I’d love to add an Edge/DE coach with some stronger south east recruiting ties. I know Cristobal recruits both line of scrimmages personally but more help there couldn’t hurt

Advertisement
We threw way too much because we were constantly in shootouts on top of the fact that we couldn't run the ball well. Most elite teams are going to have a more balanced attack.

Our run/pass percentages were nearly identical to Alabama’s last season

I know it's like a no no to blame players and not the coaching staff but this is just one of 50 bone head plays by the defense. We still wouldn't have been great but just absolutely the wrong players playing way too much.

best of luck to hall at Utah State but glad we're moving in a different direction

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back