Some names to watch before it’s deleted

Status
Not open for further replies.
@bobbydigius you’re a lightning bolt. This thread was sputtering on a Friday night with no announcements - and a little NBA talk - until you came out of banishment, jumped in and took this thread to new page count heights not seen since the day the Assistant S&C Coach was named. You may not be the hero we want (we just want an OC & DC to be named)… but you’re the hero we need.
All credit goes to you, you saw a kid that was hungry but had a checkered past, you took a chance on him and the rest is history.

Advertisement
Strictly basketball, folding on the biggest stage counts. He lacked in terms of leadership. Eventually he got there but he never reached the levels of other greats. Also, by the time the leadership was elevated his defense fell off. Lebron is definitely one of the most complete players but he does not **** on everyone else.
Fair points

I need someone that really knows the game of basketball to talk to me about why they think MJ is a better overall player than Bron bc I’m just seeing the same tired 2011 era takes from MJ fans/Bron haters.

What skills do you think MJ had that were superior to Lebron’s so I can quickly refute it with actual numbers? In what world is MJ the more valuable player to his team? Bc all I know is that he never won shît without Phil and Scottie and the year after he retired the Bulls still won 50 some games and advanced in the playoffs. What team has Lebron been on that could ever do that? I hope MJ never lost in the finals with a coach/team that could still win nearly 60 games without him. What’s more ridiculous is that he only got there 6 times. What about all the other seasons that he played?

Y’all don’t want to really get in the weeds with me on a MJ/Bron debate..
MJ better body control & handle, they are both good enough that the variables of rule changes and different teammates/opponents/eras are much bigger than w/e the gap in their peak value is. Longevity + body of work is more of a Kareem v Bron debate at this point.

Advertisement
Steph is a legit shooter. My biggest qualm is his game has been amplified by the system and cast in GS. Does he go for an easy 50/40/90 at the same volume I don’t know. I personally think his numbers would falter some but not crater. I’ll always maintain the belief guys like Reggie or Ray Allen would flourish like Curry with the same set of circumstances. Again Curry is top 20 player all time but is he there if Kerr doesn’t come and they trade allay for Love, I don’t know.
Steph needed Kerr, Kobe and MJ needed Phil. Ray's coach is about to be in the hall of fame. Larry Bird had a short stint, but incredible stint as coach too. Reggie's coach before Bird was Larry Brown cmon. Kerr had never even been a coach before they won it in year 1! Just the GM + broadcasting jobs. Weak organizations and bad teammates don't get the job done. Reggie and Ray both came close to winning a ring as #1 options. Im sure they wouldve loved to have Andre, Draymond, and Klay....but Steph killed dudes without any of those 3. No one could guard him off the rip.

Ray is better than Reggie, who is more comparable to Klay. Ray, Reggie and Klay can all create separations off closeouts because they are dangerous threats. They could get the one dribble to the side 3 or the mid range. Ray could break dudes down more off the dribble with his athleticism in the earlier years, but Ray's handle and quickness with the ball can't see Steph.

On about 4 attempts a game for three years, Curry shot over 40% from 3 when he entered the league. He was on bad teams with a different coach for the first three years. Curry shot 45.3% on 7.7 3s a game starting in 2012-2013 in year 4 of his career and continued to shoot 40% on increased or equal attempts the rest of his career. Compared to the years Ray Allen shot over 6 attempts a game, Steph has better 3% by a couple points.

Last edited:
Phil had to work hard to make him see that. The difference here was that Mike never won that way, Lebron did.
I’m not sure I understand your point. Jordan averaged more per game, has a better offensive and defensive rating in the playoffs. Plus MJ’s usage 35 to LBJ’s being 32. So the argument James did it all and MJ was apart of Phil’s makes no sense.

In for first time in 1386 pages.

Will be drafting Daniel Jones in fantasy after I have zero QBs, 6 RBs and 6 WRs. Shoot...maybe 7/7/1 TE.

Advertisement

Book em, Danno

hawaii-five-o-jack-lord.gif

Curry gsw teams(Klay, draymond, iggy etc) best all time team especially with Kd?

Well coached spurs team with Duncan, ginoboli, parker kawhi etc

Young kd, Westbrook and harden

Like i said who did Jordan plain in the same stratosphere of these players in the finals?
Lebron played in weak *** Eastern Conferences when he went to every Finals. Jordan didn’t have it that easy. Not even close. Still, it’s a silly argument. Lebron could have won theDallas and 2nd SA series but choked. Plus, he’s been swept twice, hasn’t he? Lebron isn’t even better than Kobe, let alone, MJ.

Advertisement
I’m not sure I understand your point. Jordan averaged more per game, has a better offensive and defensive rating in the playoffs. Plus MJ’s usage 35 to LBJ’s being 32. So the argument James did it all and MJ was apart of Phil’s makes no sense.
It’s more that Lebron always had the offense run through him and essentially played point. Mike under Doug Collins and the first year or so under Phil was different than after. Ultimately, I always need to reiterate that I think Mike is better. Just that Lebron always had the ball in his hands.

Steph needed Kerr, Kobe and MJ needed Phil. Ray's coach is about to be in the hall of fame too. Weak organizations and bad teammates don't get the job done. Ray is better than Reggie, who is more comparable to Klay. Ray, Reggie and Klay can all create separations off closeouts because they are dangerous threats. They could get the one dribble to the side 3 or the mid range. Ray could break dudes down more off the dribble with his athleticism in the earlier years, but Ray's handle and quickness with the ball can't see Steph.

On about 4 attempts a game for three years, Curry shot over 40% from 3 when he entered the league. He was on bad teams with a different coach for the first three years. Curry shot 45.3% on 7.7 3s a game starting in 2012-2013 in year 4 of his career and continued to shoot 40% on increased or equal attempts the rest of his career. Compared to the years Ray Allen shot over 6 attempts a game, Steph has better 3% by a couple points.
I’m not taking anything from Steph. But it’s a fair question to ask does an all time great shooter replicate this? Every all time player in any sport is tied to a great coach. Brady/Belichick, MJ/Phil or Kobe/Phil. It’s not a knock on Curry. GS saw the potential and built around him. Maximize his efficiency and the reaped the benefits. I’ve always had a qualm about labeling him the unquestioned best shooter of all time. This isn’t his handles or quickness or whatever other trait. But if Reggie Miller played in GS with Klay and that cast his number wouldn’t be that dissimilar to Curry’s IMO. It’s not a slight on Curry but more the narrative that it’s him and then everyone else.

Advertisement
Lebron played in weak *** Eastern Conferences when he went to every Finals. Jordan didn’t have it that easy. Not even close. Still, it’s a silly argument. Lebron could have won theDallas and 2nd SA series but choked. Plus, he’s been swept twice, hasn’t he? Lebron isn’t even better than Kobe, let alone, MJ.
Lebron is better than Kobe in just about every facet of the game out side of outside shooting and FTs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back