Some names to watch before it’s deleted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Frank Ponce

App State was 32nd in yards per play (6.39ypp). The year prior, App State (Ponce was at Louisville) was 27th in ypp, with 6.42, 2019 was 31st at 6.26...2018, he was there as a CoOC and QBC, 14th at 6.52, 6.45, 6.13, 6.74, 6.31.

While at Louisville as the QB Coach, yards per attempt was 8.5 (19th), 10.1 (7th).

Also, a well balanced offense with every season having over 40 rush attempts per game.

If you like the AppState / Louisville offense, you should like the hire when you take the name off the label. If you keep the name on the label, I can see it being a little underwhelming. Not near my first choice, but I can talk myself into giving it a shot if this is how far down the list we have to go.

When he was at FIU as the WR Coach, we're talking TY Hilton, Greg Ellingson (on all the leaderboards for FIU receiving), Wayne Times, Willis Wright (if you remember the last two names).

Advertisement
One of the barometer readings I look for annually in our new assistant coaches' search is the completion of the AFCA. The opportunity for head coaches to meet and greet is over and names are cropping up.

He also worked wonders with their QB this year

View attachment 173456

I agree Brice looked better this season than he did at Duke. But we've also got a 4th year QB in only his second season as a starter, taking a big step down in the level of competition, and going from one of the least talented teams in the ACC to one of the most talented teams in the Sun Belt (per 247's Team Talent Composite).

So how much of his improvement was growth as a second year starter vs. better talent around him relative to the talent he faced vs. Coach Ponce's influence? Unknown. But with this limited sample size I'm not excited to stick my neck out and come to any conclusions.

Advertisement
Frank Ponce

App State was 32nd in yards per play (6.39ypp). The year prior, App State (Ponce was at Louisville) was 27th in ypp, with 6.42, 2019 was 31st at 6.26...2018, he was there as a CoOC and QBC, 14th at 6.52, 6.45, 6.13, 6.74, 6.31.

While at Louisville as the QB Coach, yards per attempt was 8.5 (19th), 10.1 (7th).

Also, a well balanced offense with every season having over 40 rush attempts per game.

If you like the AppState / Louisville offense, you should like the hire when you take the name off the label. If you keep the name on the label, I can see it being a little underwhelming. Not near my first choice, but I can talk myself into giving it a shot if this is how far down the list we have to go.

When he was at FIU as the WR Coach, we're talking TY Hilton, Greg Ellingson (on all the leaderboards for FIU receiving), Wayne Times, Willis Wright (if you remember the last two names).
Those Qb numbers are impressive. The plain stats seem good. I will talk also talk myself into this if need be Lmao

Didn’t we have this same level of irrational dialogue right before we hired Rhett?

I vaguely remember us talking about being down to our 4th option.

Advertisement
Exactly where I'm at.

612bc15c1dc2b597dd2e07ee3a89fecf.jpg

73197aafb80218d0373c6f53d7058523-960x640.jpg

ponce.jpg

Advertisement
Frank Ponce

So him learning under Satterfield is all fine and dandy, but even as "Co-OC" at Louisville, he wasn't calling plays. It's like saying if we hired Candle as OC, tore it up with a Top 15 offense, and then someone was looking at BMac as an OC option...them saying "BMac ran a T-15 offense" just because he had the Co-OC title. He wasn't really calling plays or anything of that nature.

Could we do worse? Yeah, for sure. And I'm beating a dead horse, but he's not worth anywhere close to the money we offered Candle. To go from a respected MAC HC with a lethal offense, to Ponce...I just can't see it. There has to be coaches in between them that we're seriously interested in, and that interest is reciprocated.

Appreciate the breakdown, however. There's some good stuff in here...just in my opinion, not the splash hire we're looking for given the funds and the timeline we're operating on. We'll see...

Advertisement
Frank Ponce

The issue is that Ponce was always the guy Diaz could get as a fall back….gonna be a tough sell because of that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back