Some names to watch before it’s deleted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Live look at the CIS collective on page 721

cover_image_cropped_(1).jpg

Advertisement

Understanding Mario Cristobal’s thorough and meticulous process with putting together a coaching staff​

Miami Hurricanes coach Mario Cristobal takes his time when it comes to hiring his coordinators.

That was Cristobal’s process as the head coach at Oregon and to help provide more context as to why he will take his time at Miami, we went back and looked at the hiring of defensive coordinator Andy Avalos with the Ducks.

Avalos was hired at Oregon on February 27th of 2019—nearly a month after the traditional national signing day.

“Our process is real thorough,” Cristobal said in March of 2019 when reviewing the hiring of Avalos at Oregon. “There is no real thinking of hey I know this guy or I know that guy. We don’t hire friends and acquaintances, we hire people that are the best for the program.

“We don't hire friends and acquaintances, we hire people that are the best for the program.”

Cristobal says he was put through that process during an interview with former New York Jets head coach Eric Mangini.

“It is a process that I was put through back in 2006 when I had an opportunity to interview with the New York Jets with coach Mangini and I thought I was going for a walk in the park that would be an hour and a half chill session in which we exchange a little bit of information and the process that he used, which I think is Bill Belichick’s process that is very extensive, thorough, and borderline grueling process that not only tested your knowledge, it tested your ability to teach in front of others on the board from a demonstration standpoint. How to assess film and assess off another team’s film and teach off of the film that your guys showed earlier in the year and correct.”

Cristobal’s interviews are known to go for five hours at times. He went through the process he takes each candidate through when interviewing.

“It starts with the fact that you have to be a great person. You have to be all about the players and you have to do things the right way on and off the field.

“The next thing is I want a guy that has a tremendous amount of knowledge with tying the back end to the front seven. It is all about seeing how all the pieces fit and you leave your nose open on one side because you are overplaying another side.

“When you are teaching this stuff, you have to be a clear and concise teacher that can have a presence. It doesn’t matter how much a guy knows. We have seen a lot of guys come in here at all levels that can talk and make your head spin around, but that has nothing to do with anything. Can a guy tie it all together? Does he have answers for things we face in our conference?

“These are the schematic things that we want to address. These are the questions that we have. Talk to me about how you address it and how you scheme it with the type of players that you look for. How you game plan it during the week and how you pass that down to every single coach.

“We watch film together and we are pretty critical about all the film and I say talk to me like I am a freshman. We will put him through a series of questions to see if what they are talking to us about matches their film.

“We will also get into recruiting. The guy has to be a strong recruiter. I think the day and age of having guys that just coach and guys that just recruit is out the window. Your most important recruits are the ones in the building. Your ability to connect and have relationships with players that are demanding without being demeaning is at the forefront. There is no head faking with this stuff.

“The entire organization is involved…We are very meticulous throughout the process.”

Cristobal also made it clear that it is important to him that the coordinators are strong with emphasizing the principles of their scheme.

“Guys have to have rules,” Cristobal said. “That is important to me. One thing that was always drilled into my head as a player and as a coach at Alabama is the what, the how, and the why? What are we doing? How are we doing it? And why are we doing it that way? Every person in the organization needs to know those things.”

Cristobal’s track record of hiring successful coordinators should earn the trust of the Miami fanbase.

While at FIU, Cristobal hired coordinators that went on to bigger and better jobs like James Coley, Scott Satterfield, Geoff Collins, and Todd Orlando. At Oregon, both Andy Avalos and Marcus Arroyo went on to take head coaching jobs at Boise State and UNLV respectively.

Does Cristobal take a long time to hire his coordinators? Yes, but he has a track record of getting the hire right—which is what matters most at the end of the day.
There is no shot this thread doesn't reach 1k pages. We've got ~45 days to go until the OC/DC hires are done.

Understanding Mario Cristobal’s thorough and meticulous process with putting together a coaching staff​

Miami Hurricanes coach Mario Cristobal takes his time when it comes to hiring his coordinators.

That was Cristobal’s process as the head coach at Oregon and to help provide more context as to why he will take his time at Miami, we went back and looked at the hiring of defensive coordinator Andy Avalos with the Ducks.

Avalos was hired at Oregon on February 27th of 2019—nearly a month after the traditional national signing day.

“Our process is real thorough,” Cristobal said in March of 2019 when reviewing the hiring of Avalos at Oregon. “There is no real thinking of hey I know this guy or I know that guy. We don’t hire friends and acquaintances, we hire people that are the best for the program.

“We don't hire friends and acquaintances, we hire people that are the best for the program.”

Cristobal says he was put through that process during an interview with former New York Jets head coach Eric Mangini.

“It is a process that I was put through back in 2006 when I had an opportunity to interview with the New York Jets with coach Mangini and I thought I was going for a walk in the park that would be an hour and a half chill session in which we exchange a little bit of information and the process that he used, which I think is Bill Belichick’s process that is very extensive, thorough, and borderline grueling process that not only tested your knowledge, it tested your ability to teach in front of others on the board from a demonstration standpoint. How to assess film and assess off another team’s film and teach off of the film that your guys showed earlier in the year and correct.”

Cristobal’s interviews are known to go for five hours at times. He went through the process he takes each candidate through when interviewing.

“It starts with the fact that you have to be a great person. You have to be all about the players and you have to do things the right way on and off the field.

“The next thing is I want a guy that has a tremendous amount of knowledge with tying the back end to the front seven. It is all about seeing how all the pieces fit and you leave your nose open on one side because you are overplaying another side.

“When you are teaching this stuff, you have to be a clear and concise teacher that can have a presence. It doesn’t matter how much a guy knows. We have seen a lot of guys come in here at all levels that can talk and make your head spin around, but that has nothing to do with anything. Can a guy tie it all together? Does he have answers for things we face in our conference?

“These are the schematic things that we want to address. These are the questions that we have. Talk to me about how you address it and how you scheme it with the type of players that you look for. How you game plan it during the week and how you pass that down to every single coach.

“We watch film together and we are pretty critical about all the film and I say talk to me like I am a freshman. We will put him through a series of questions to see if what they are talking to us about matches their film.

“We will also get into recruiting. The guy has to be a strong recruiter. I think the day and age of having guys that just coach and guys that just recruit is out the window. Your most important recruits are the ones in the building. Your ability to connect and have relationships with players that are demanding without being demeaning is at the forefront. There is no head faking with this stuff.

“The entire organization is involved…We are very meticulous throughout the process.”

Cristobal also made it clear that it is important to him that the coordinators are strong with emphasizing the principles of their scheme.

“Guys have to have rules,” Cristobal said. “That is important to me. One thing that was always drilled into my head as a player and as a coach at Alabama is the what, the how, and the why? What are we doing? How are we doing it? And why are we doing it that way? Every person in the organization needs to know those things.”

Cristobal’s track record of hiring successful coordinators should earn the trust of the Miami fanbase.

While at FIU, Cristobal hired coordinators that went on to bigger and better jobs like James Coley, Scott Satterfield, Geoff Collins, and Todd Orlando. At Oregon, both Andy Avalos and Marcus Arroyo went on to take head coaching jobs at Boise State and UNLV respectively.

Does Cristobal take a long time to hire his coordinators? Yes, but he has a track record of getting the hire right—which is what matters most at the end of the day.

See you all in March

Advertisement
Every time these processes takes this long, it usually means there have been setbacks.

Remember when Manny was looking for a DC last year and he ended up doing it himself after swinging and missing on a few big DCs?

Mario is known to "meddle". May even be considered a micromanager by certain coordinators. Wouldn't be surprised if he just hasn't been gotten the coordinators he wants with the conditions he wants (whatever they may be). I still think he'll end up with some good coordinators because he has a track record of picking out good coaches but I also hope the coordinators get full ownership of their side of the ball but with Mario's accountability.

Really? Every time?

I'm sure that since Manny tried to hire a few big DCs last year, people would be able to provide the names of those big DCs, right?

As for "meddling", that was a tag that Pete hung on him, rightly or wrongly. You just didn't hear the same things at Oregon, ****, a former head coach (Moorhead) felt fine taking a job with Mario.

Let's not overthink this. Nobody has said "Joe Brady doesn't want to work for Mario", they've said he wants to stay in the NFL. Nobody has said "Ken Dorsey doesn't want to work for Mario", they've said he wants to stay in the NFL.

Way too many conspiracy theories floating around.

I think it's nowhere near 50-50. I don't think he's coming.

Dorsey probably has had tons of chances to coach in college. Just don't think he wants to. He's an NFL guy and there will be tons of opportunities for him this year.
Oh, I don’t think he comes either. But I have no idea what his thoughts are.

Advertisement
Mario said himself he'd like to have the staff completed by the end of the dead period (unless that was made up). It seems like the fact that it's not completed yet means things are happening outside of his control? I'm not sure what specifically, but could be any number of things. That's what I mean by setbacks. Maybe not necessarily rejections, but just unforseen challenges that are slowing down the process. Guys he wants playing hardball or not willing to commit. Difference of opinion on HC/coordinator relationship. Difference of opinion on recruiting philosophy..things like that.

Feel free to provide the exact quote. Because I don't think he set a hard deadline that he can't meet, knowing himself.

Who is playing hardball?

Who has differences of opinion on HC/coordinator relationship?

Who has differences of opinion on recruiting philosophy (and who could possibly be bothered by recruiting the best possible talent)?

If these are the reasons that people blame for time passing without coordinator hires, I would like to hear specifics about these reasons.

Advertisement
Dorsey coming here after last night is essentially a pipe dream. Daboll is 100% getting a job and will either name Dorsey his OC or the Bills will move him into the role to keep continuity for Allen.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Dorsey is here in Miami but wearing aqua and orange.
Yep

People like to complain for the sake of complaining. Sometimes, we exaggerate things to justify our negative feelings. Miami is literally overachieving in recruiting and fans want to make an hire before NSD because traditionally that is what is done. Get the right hire. A good OC/DC will change the program, a recruit or two we recruiting in 6 weeks will not.

Advertisement
No I wasn’t .My dad was Navy then worked for the Navy so I was able to get on the base.

I was 4F with about 100 stitches in my knee when I went for my physical.
It was during the lottery.My first number came out in the teens so I took a deferment cause I was in college and I figured the second one couldn’t be worse…I think the second one was 8 I think.lol…I’d had my knee cut on like a week earlier and went to the physical on crutches with a cast on my leg.

Man oh man, my friend, you have had a couple lifetimes of knee issues in your lifetime...

People like to complain for the sake of complaining. Sometimes, we exaggerate things to justify our negative feelings. Miami is literally overachieving in recruiting and fans want to make an hire before NSD because traditionally that is what is done. Get the right hire. A good OC/DC will change the program, a recruit or two we recruiting in 6 weeks will not.
No doubt, don’t want to make a bad hire for a recruit or two though I’d think the guaranteed good hires are known so he must be digging into weeds of guys he might not have worked with before.

I would like to see a certain DB in Gainesville in the portal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back