Some names to watch before it’s deleted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Im a little hesitant on Dorsey as well... but if you ever been around him you know he eats and sleeps football. He'll be an OC soon and wouldn't doubt a HC 5 years after that.

Yeah I don’t think anyone doubts his knowledge of the game, there’s just no sample size...
No one even knows what kind of offense he’d run and we’ve all got some pro style Enos PTSD

I keep seeing everyone mention Grimes. Are we sure he is any good?

I saw some ranking posted in this thread, and I acknowledge those. But I think we also need to acknowledge (i) BYU had the No. 2 overall pick at QB, (ii) BYU was pretty good on offense this year after he left, and (iii) Baylor wasn't great offensively this year.

I haven't done a deep dive or anything, so I am just throwing this out there. But I have watched several Baylor games this year, and I watched several BYU games last year.

I am not saying he is BAD, but I personally think a lot of people on this board are throwing his name around just because he has been mentioned/rumored elsewhere.

@Liberty City El @JayCane20 what do you guys think about Grimes?

Advertisement

I saw some ranking posted in this thread, and I acknowledge those. But I think we also need to acknowledge (i) BYU had the No. 2 overall pick at QB, (ii) BYU was pretty good on offense this year after he left, and (iii) Baylor wasn't great offensively this year.

I haven't done a deep dive or anything, so I am just throwing this out there. But I have watched several Baylor games this year, and I watched several BYU games last year.

I am not saying he is BAD, but I personally think a lot of people on this board are throwing his name around just because he has been mentioned/rumored elsewhere.

I just looked up his resume for the first time, and it is definitely impressive. But he is an OL coach... are we really giving him credit for Wilson at BYU? Idk...

Advertisement

JEFF GRIMES, BALYLOR OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR​

10667403.jpg
Baylor OC Jeff Grimes (Photo: Photo Courtesy of BYU Photo, Jaren Wilkey, Getty)
2021 Total Offense: 430 yards per game
2021 Points Per Game: 32.5 points per game
2021 Passing Yards Per Game: 216 passing yards per game
2021 Rushing Yards Per Game: 214 rushing yards per game

Salary: Unknown

Overview: Grimes is an intriguing fit because he has an offensive line coach background (which of course Mario Cristobal would appreciate) and runs a modern style of offense that produces.

This 2021 season was Grimes’ first at Baylor. In his first year he improved Baylor’s offense from averaging 23 points per game in 2020 to 32 points per game.

Grimes directed a high-powered offense at BYU in 2020 that finished its season ranked in the top 15 in 10 different statistical categories including scoring (3rd, 43.5 ppg), total offense (7th, 522.2 ypg) and passing offense (8th, 332.1 ppg).

The 2020 Cougars tied for the national lead in yards per play at 7.84, and led all of FBS in plays of 30 or more yards with 45. Overall, BYU scored 40 or more points nine times in 12 games.

Grimes served as offensive line coach and run game coordinator at LSU from 2014-17. While in Baton Rouge, Grimes had three of his players selected in the NFL Draft to go along with nine earn All-SEC honors and four be selected as All-Americans (La’el Collins, Vadal Alexander, Ethan Pocic and Will Clapp).

In addition to his time as a coordinator, Grimes has extensive experience as one of the country’s top offensive line coaches. Since 2000, 17 offensive linemen that played under Grimes have been selected in the NFL Draft including three first rounders (Levi Jones, Nate Solder and Greg Robinson).

LSU's offensive line helped pave the way for four consecutive 1,000-yard rushers in each of Grimes’ four seasons. In 49 games as LSU's offensive line coach and run game coordinator, the Tigers had at least one running back reach the 100-yard rushing mark 34 times.

Overall, Grimes has coached on the offensive line at stops that include Boise State, Arizona State, BYU, Colorado, Auburn, Virginia Tech, and LSU.

I really like Jeff Grimes. I’ll say top 5 or top 10 OC in the country.

But I think we’re needing someone that can coach QBs to fit the staff mold. Someone that coaches WR could probably still fit. Another OL background might not work

Can’t stand Mullen and the only way you hire him is if he agrees to leave his wife behind in Gainesville and you keep him lock up in the coaches box far enough from any dancing on the sidelines with our QB. Not sure TVD could ever overcome that....

Advertisement
I had a couple threads deleted in the AM for multiple reasons. One being the hints were a little too good and two it was still early in n the process. They were just serious candidates. I’ve mentioned some of the names now and others have guessed off my thread so here’s where we are. Coaches to watch as possible options.

Brady oc

Briles Oc

Coley / Ponce qb

Dorsey oc or qb coach

Hurtt DL / possible co DC

Brumbaugh off field

Partridge DL / possible co Dc

Joe Salave’a DL , connection with Mario

Schuman Dc/Lb or Belk

Bobby Williams te or st’s or both, because of his connection with Mario

Rod chance cb because of his connection with Mario

Seider Rb or te ( UF is involved )

Hired- McClendon rb or wr That’s been posted by caneville as done. I Confirmed as well.

Hired - Mirabal OL ( DuH)

Fields TE or off field

Ish likely off field if retained

Hired - T Rob db

Nick Monroe DB

The off field room will remain close to intact

Those are all names to watch as candidates / possible hires . I’ll add new names when I hear them.

Bring me this DC.

eli roth brad pitt gif GIF

if that rumor is true my guess is we were demanding he not leave for another oc job (college or nfl) for 2 years
hmmm...on second thought (and a few beers later) i think mario isn't gonna hire an oc who won't commit to 2 years, with tvd. i don't think that's the craziest ask, just because of how talented tvd is. figure mario thinks he can right the ship enough in year 1 to be ready to compete on the big stage in year 2, and the it'd be far easier to do that if he didn't have to find a new oc for tvd in what would likely be his final year.

Advertisement
hmmm...on second thought (and a few beers later) i think mario isn't gonna hire an oc who won't commit to 2 years, with tvd. i don't think that's the craziest ask, just because of how talented tvd is. figure mario thinks he can right the ship enough in year 1 to be ready to compete on the big stage in year 2, and the it'd be far easier to do that if he didn't have to find a new oc for tvd in what would likely be his final year.
Get back to us after another few rounds of beer

What Jeff Grimes is doing with Baylor’s offense given their QB speaks for itself. Gerry Bohanon (Baylor QB) and Anthony Brown ( Oregon’s QB) are similar and really aren’t good college QBs. Zach Wilson was a 3 star recruit coming out , so he was far from a sure thing. Go look at his numbers before his last year, he progressed and developed well into becoming the #2 pick in Jeff Grimes offense. When the Aranda interest in our HC job was mentioned I liked that idea a lot if he brought Grimes with him. Grimes is a great OC and would be a great get for us if we went that route.

Agreed and if he can bring Jeff Grimes and his RVO offense with him, he is that much more attractive in my eyes.

Knowing the OC and DC that the potential HC candidates would bring with them is swaying my preference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back