Some names to watch before it’s deleted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Seinfeld Soup GIF

Come back, one year

My Junkyard Dog Story.

In the early 90's I dated a girl that lived up in Pembroke Pines area. I was at the tail end of my interest in wrestling, as a holdover fan of the Golden Era who was not loving the direction it was taking. And also outgrowing it I suppose.

I wandered into the Walmart in Miramar one day with her - had to be circa 1995/1996 - and there up close by the front was none other than JYD. He was wearing street attire, and had a couple people around him. I walked over and stood there in awe for a bit to see what was going on. Turns out he was taking / signing Polaroids for charity (sick kids), and was chitchatting with some fans. I gave him a once over and honestly felt a little sad - he looked kind of broken down in person, wearing t-shirt, shorts, flip flops, posture wasn't great.... But he had that smile, and affable manner, and he was super nice to everyone.

I paid $10 or whatever for a Polaroid with him, grinning from ear to ear, and he signed it. I stuck around a bit to hear him talking about how he was trying to open a Wrestling School up in West Palm with Rusty Brooks, and start training new wrestlers. His smile was genuine, he lit up talking about it, and I just remember thinking what a sweet guy he was in person, and hoping it worked out for him.

As I was getting ready to wander off, he suddenly started looking around, and then said something like 'Oh, NO!'... He had a really bummed out and disappointed look. Turns out someone, literally while we were all there, stole his Polaroid camera. The one he was using for the charity photos. He said 'Sorry fellas, I need to go back there and buy another camera', and with apologies, he headed slowly to the back of the store. I walked off, feeling bad for him and cursing the scumbag that would do something like that.

Literally the next thing I ever heard about him was a small newspaper clipping a while later saying he'd died alone in a single person car crash in Rural Mississippi, late at night, having fallen asleep at the wheel coming back alone from his daughters graduation on a back country road.

The kind of thing article you'd likely miss most times, and the sort of thing that predated easy access to that information on the Internet.

I had one of those moments where you just pause, quietly, alone, and feel sad for a couple mins. I thought about that last time I'd seen him, and how kind he was, and how some scumbag took that moment to steal an inexpensive Polaroid instant camera from a living legend trying to help sick kids.

That Polaroid was on my fridge for years, but I haven't seen it in forever. I hope like **** it's still in one of my bins out in the garage.

Last edited:
Advertisement
But I wouldn’t want an offensive coordinator that is just out talenting everybody.

Candle has all the talent he needs to put up numbers on not very good MAC defenses. And every analytic model says he sucks as an OC.

The argument some are making seems to be, “but he’ll have a talent advantage at Miami, so we should see better numbers.”

But that would be true of any OC we hire. That isn’t a reason to hire him.
I'm trying to understand your specific critique here based on the analytics. If it's: Briles is better, I'd agree. If it's: Candle's numbers are good, but not great/elite, I'd also agree. If it's: Candle hasn't been good (which is what I'm taking away from your posts), then I just don't see support for that based on the numbers.

Candle's numbers are not elite, but they're **** good even though he's had relatively comparable talent to most of his competitors. It's no surprise that the teams that consistently find themselves in the top 10-20 of F+ year in and year out are typically teams that have much more talent than their competitors.

We're hiring a guy who's produced a top 2 MAC offense in 4 of the last 6 years (2016, 2017, 2018, 2020) according to F+. His offenses while he was head coach have been pretty good (last six years):

2016: 13th (Briles at Baylor: 33rd)
2017: 37th (Briles at FAU: 21st)
2018: 39th (Briles at Houston: 26th)
2019: 91st (Briles at Florida State: 61st)
2020: 39th (Briles at Arkansas: 56th)
2021: 76th (Briles at Arkansas: 22nd)

- 4 Top 40 offenses in the last 6 years. 2 outside the top 40. Same as Briles.
- His median offensive ranking: 38th. Briles: 29.5.
- He's put up better offenses than all but one MAC team in 3/6 years and better than all MAC teams in 1. I would imagine you can't find a football program or offensive coordinator in the MAC that's been more consistent than Candle.

I'd be interested to dive more into Toledo's 2019 and 2021 seasons. Were there key injuries? Was the Oline particularly bad? Were there key transfers?

Here's an article discussing Toledo's 2021 team: https://www.chatsports.com/toledo-r...nd-it-must-start-with-offensive-line-16861562

"With an offensive line that offers less resistance than the Maginot Line, the Rockets have played from behind throughout the season — on the scoreboard and down and distance. If games are won in the trenches — a cliché that’s proved true over the past century — then the fingerprints of UT’s offensive line are all over its four losses."

- Hard to put up stellar offenses when you have a **** Oline, just ask Briles about his time at FSU. (Briles is now immensely benefitting from a Sam Pittman coached Oline)
- Toledo was also shuffling between two QBs in the 2021 season and both were pretty bad. That could fall on the HC. But when you're recruiting at such a low level, as most MAC teams do, probabilities say you're bound to have lots of busts.

In short, combining Candle's penchant for producing top-40 offenses against basically equally-talented competitors with (1) a Mirabal/Critstobal Oline, (2) Miami's QB room, and (3) Miami's talent advantage will probably yield some **** good results.

Yes, we'd expect most OCs we hire to do better here given our talent advantage. But for Candle that means we're probably going to see some very good//borderline elite offenses. I'm not sure why you dismiss that point as unimportant.

Last edited:
I'm trying to understand your specific critique here based on the analytics. If it's: Briles is better, I'd agree. If it's: Candle's numbers are good, but not great/elite, I'd also agree. If it's: Candle hasn't been good (which is what I'm taking away from your posts), then I just don't see support for that based on the numbers.

Candle's numbers are not elite, but they're **** good even though he's had relatively comparable talent to most of his competitors. It's no surprise that the teams that consistently find themselves in the top 10-20 of F+ year in and year out are typically teams that have much more talent than their competitors.

We're hiring a guy who's produced a top 2 MAC offense in 4 of the 6 years (2016, 2017, 2018, 2020) according to F+. His offenses while he was head coach have been pretty good (last six years):

2016: 13th (Briles at Baylor: 33rd)
2017: 37th (Briles at FAU: 21st)
2018: 39th (Briles at Houston: 26th)
2019: 91st (Briles at Florida State: 61st)
2020: 39th (Briles at Arkansas: 56th)
2021: 76th (Briles at Arkansas: 22nd)

4 Top 40 offenses in the last 6 years. 2 outside the top 40. Same as Briles.
His median offensive ranking: 38th. Briles: 29.5.
He's put up better offenses than all but one MAC team in 3/6 years and better than all MAC teams in 1. I would imagine you can't find a football program or offensive coordinator in the MAC that's been more consistent than Candle.

I'd be interested to dive more into Toledo's 2019 and 2021 seasons. Were there key injuries? Was the Oline particularly bad? Were there key transfers?

Here's an article discussing Toledo's 2021 team: https://www.chatsports.com/toledo-r...nd-it-must-start-with-offensive-line-16861562

"With an offensive line that offers less resistance than the Maginot Line, the Rockets have played from behind throughout the season — on the scoreboard and down and distance. If games are won in the trenches — a cliché that’s proved true over the past century — then the fingerprints of UT’s offensive line are all over its four losses."

Hard to put up stellar offenses when you have a **** Oline, just ask Briles about his time at FSU.
Toledo was also shuffling between two QBs in the 2021 season and both were pretty bad. That could fall on the HC. But when you're recruiting at such a low level, as most MAC teams do, probabilities say you're bound to have lots of busts.

In short, combining Candle's penchant for producing top-40 offenses against basically equally-talented competitors with (1) a Mirabal/Critstobal Oline, (2) Miami's QB room, and (3) Miami's talent advantage will probably yield some **** good results.

Yes, we'd expect most OCs we hire to do better here given our talent advantage. But for Candle that means we're probably going to see some very good//borderline elite offenses. I'm not sure why you dismiss that point as unimportant.
Starting QB retired before the start of the season, backup was terrible and then they went with a freshman (18 TDs, 2 INTs, a bit erratic based on the completion percentage)

2019 I'm not sure; but that was his worst season. I think he's a home run hire.

Starting QB retired before the start of the season, backup was terrible and then they went with a freshman (18 TDs, 2 INTs, a bit erratic based on the completion percentage)

2019 I'm not sure; but that was his worst season. I think he's a home run hire.
Important context not shown by the numbers.

Most MAC teams are lucky to have 1 decent QB. None, I’d imagine, have 2. If the starter retired, that’s a killer.

Advertisement
Interesting name but he appears to be connected at the hip with the Rams' HC.

Clearly has South Florida ties, his parents still live in Cooper City. Went to ST. Thomas.

Alright top 5 Sitcom characters of all time, streaming services shows count as well, go!

Archie Bunker (All In The Family), Dwight Schrute (The Office), Ron Swanson (Parks and Recreation), Larry Sanders (Curb Your Enthusiasm), and George Castanza (Seinfeld)

Honorable Mention: Lucy Ricardo (I Love Lucy) Norm (Cheers), Michael Scott (The Office)

Very Underrated: Jethro (Beverly Hillbillies) Arnold The Pig (Green Acres) Maxwell Smart (Get Smart)

Advertisement
Advertisement
Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back