Some names to watch before it’s deleted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Not sure if this was posted, but Mario doesn’t rush hires. Boys need to buckle up.
666C9A4F-F008-496B-8597-FD6F98D796AD.jpeg

Advertisement
Advertisement
Hope they can at least tell the recruits who will be OC or DC. Gonna take away from a recruiting visit if we have no one on either side.

You are the go to here on this. A little dangerous across the bridge these days. I bet when you were a kid, you could go to Ciudad Juárez for lunch or dinner - no problem.
Yup. We used to walk over as freshmen in HS 1990, with pitiful fake id's from happy's in the lower east valley. $7 Drink n drown thursdays at superior bar off the strip. 10 cent slammers. Car battery group shock guy. Saw an old man get shot. A GI from ft bliss get stabbed in the neck. Used to get literal "horse****" brand - novelty packaged- unfilterd cigarettes. Went to see La travestia...off... strip...the donkey show. I seent it in 1992, right when the peso devalued and just after most coke trade shifted to Juarez from Miami. Place blew up and hasn't been same since. I got out to Austin in 95, went back to finish ugrad at utep in 98 -failed musician 6 year track. I love ept and cd. Juarez. so many stories.. can't believe I survived those years. We were straight dumb. Oh yeah the joint for pineapple laden al pastor was "Tacos Orientales" ....spinning salsa trays. Creamy jalapeno.... dollar bohemias...miss that ****show

Overthinking is maybe the right word , which I like with the magnitude of the decision.

You are right. Lots of dopes on this board are going to latch onto your use of the word "indecisive" (which you have since edited) and try to pat themselves on the back for being so insightful. "Yeah, Cribby told me I was RIGHT, bro!"

But here's the reality. FIU hired Mario on December 19, 2006. Mario managed to hire OC James Coley by January 5, 2007, and DC Phil Galiano by January 10, 2007. How did that work out? In his six years at FIU, Mario went through 4 OCs and 3 DCs. At the time, there were some claims that Mario interfered with his coordinators too much, though that could have been Pete Garcia trying to undermine him. However, the number of coordinators that Mario went through is nothing to brag about, though he clearly hired some guys who went on to have more success later.

When Mario got the Oregon job, he inherited Arroyo and Leavitt, so he didn't have to hire any coordinators out of the box. But he also went through 2 OCs and 3 DCs in four years.

From what I've heard, Mario has been reflecting on how he's done things in the past, and trying to do things differently and better at UM. Obviously, he didn't have a lot of choice in his first year at Oregon, so this is really the first time he's assembling a staff from scratch in 15 years. And if he's targeting NFL guys for his UM coordinators...well, let's not forget that this is the first year the NFL has played 17 games, and a lot of teams were still in contention until recently.

I think Mario's definitely putting pressure on himself to "stick the landing" now that he is back home. But we have a bunch of dopey porsters who have never even met Mario who INSIST that he is being "indecisive". The truth is, Mario doesn't want to hire anyone who leaves after 6 weeks, and he doesn't want to burn through coordinators every year or two. Mario has had exactly two coordinators who lasted 3 years under him, and that's Galiano at FIU and Arroyo at Oregon.

So, yeah, Mario has a bunch of targets and contingency plans and backups to his contingencies, and all of those things don't snap into place as quickly as some internet geniuses (who are not making $8 million per year) would like for things to happen. Who cares? Make two good coordinator hires, and nobody will remember this crap two months from now.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back